What does Big Ramy’s workout routine look like?
Mamdouh Elssbiay, also known as Big Ramy, is an Egyptian professional bodybuilder most known for his success in the IFBB (International Federation of Bodybuilding and Fitness).
As far as bodybuilders go, there’s not a better motivation than Big Ramy. In less than two years of training, he gained nearly 90 pounds and was crowned champion at the Amateur Olympia Kuwait in 2012.
Whether you’re getting into bodybuilding or wanting to gain solid muscle mass, the Big Ramy workout routine is a surefire way to get the results you want.
Although we’ve done thorough research on Big Ramy’s diet and exercise regime, this article is not his exact workout routine.
It provides a general idea of what he does when training, based on interviews, his own commentary, and information from his long-time trainer, Ahmad Alaqi.
- Height: 5’9″
- Weight: 212-240 pounds (depending on his training sessions)
- Age: 37 years old
- Birthday: September 16, 1984
- Accolades: 2012 Amateur Olympia in Kuwait City (his IFBB pro debut), 2013 & 2014 New York Pro champion, 2016 IFBB Kuwait Pro champion, 2017 Arnold Classic Europe champion, 2020 and 2021 Mr. Olympia bodybuilding champion
As an elite professional bodybuilder, Big Ramy relies on the basic exercises to build his cartoonishly enormous upper half and gigantic thighs. It’s not easy, but somebody has to do it!
As a training tip, he encourages other lifters who are struggling to build thick thighs to perform high reps, in the 10-25 rep range, and be sure to perform full reps each time.
Ramy’s diet plan requires him to eat three meals and five snacks a day; this diet plan is a huge commitment itself.
Big Ramy’s Workout Routine
While Big Ramy has undeniably worked harder than most to achieve his monstrous physique, committing to five days of strength training.
Big Ramy trains at the world-renowned Kuwait City’s Oxygen gym, where he trained for the New York Pro Championship. He’s ranked #2 on our list of biggest bodybuilders of all time.
Big Ramy’s workout routine targets a different muscle group each day, allowing his body to rest and recover with some balance.
The high-intensity interval training sessions allow him to max out his strength. His appearance at the 2017 Mr. Olypmia competition
Here is Big Ramy’s workout routine:
Monday – Chest workout
Big Ramy starts the week with an upper-body chest workout routine.
- Incline barbell or machine press (4 sets, 12 reps)
- Incline dumbbell flys (4 sets, 12 reps)
- Flat bench barbell/ Dumbbell press (4 sets, 12 reps)
- Seated machine press (4 sets, 12 reps)
- Cable crossovers (4 sets, 12 reps)
Tuesday – Leg workout
Big Ramy’s gargantuan quads get their own day, due to the intensity of weightlifting working on his gigantic thighs. His leg exercises require a minimum of 4 sets to achieve hypertrophy.
- Leg extensions (4 sets, 12 reps)
- Barbell squats (4 sets, 20 reps)
- Leg presses (4 sets, 10 reps)
- Machine squats (5 sets, 15 reps)
- Free weight squats (5 sets, 15 reps)
Wednesday – Shoulders
When he’s not working to train legs, Big Ramy gets a solid shoulder muscles pump on Wednesdays. He trains each shoulder joint and his shoulder blades to ensure every shoulder muscle is activated.
- Seated dumbbell press (4 sets, 12 reps)
- Standing dumbbell lateral raise (4 sets, 12 reps)
- Dumbbell rear delt raise (4 sets, 12 reps)
- Barbell/dumbbell shrugs (4 sets, 12 reps)
Thursday – Back
On Thursdays, Big Ramy dons his weight belt and focuses his energy on an intense back workout, which builds the muscles that we can only dream of having ourselves.
- Machine rows (4 sets, 5 reps)
- One-arm dumbbell rows (4 sets, 15 reps)
- Seated cable rows (4 sets, 15 reps)
- Lat pulldowns to the front (4 sets, 15 reps)
- Lat pulldowns to the rear (4 sets, 15 reps)
Friday – Arms workout
- Straight bar pushdowns (4 sets, 12 reps)
- One-arm dumbbell extension (4 sets, 12 reps)
- One-arm dumbbell row (4 sets, 12 reps)
- Rope pushdowns (4 sets, 15 reps)
- Hammer curls (4 sets, 12 reps)
- Preacher curls (4 sets, 12 reps)
- Rope curls (4 sets, 12 reps)
Saturday & Sunday – Rest
To recover from his gruesome workout routine, Big Ramy takes two days a week to rest. His body needs time to prepare for the upcoming workouts, and his workout plan caters to that.
Rest also lets his muscles recover, allowing him to maintain proper form during future workouts.
Big Ramy’s Diet
Big Ramy’s diet plan requires him to avoid processed foods, sugar, and dairy. He focuses on clean foods, including fresh veggies, lean protein, nuts, and more protein to fuel his entire body.
The Big Ramy diet plan is not for the faint at heart; similar to his workout plan, dedication and focus are key to succeeding with this diet plan.
Here is Big Ramy’s diet:
- 12 egg whites and 3 whole eggs
- Sweet potato
- Chicken breast
- Brown rice
- 4 whole eggs
- Sweet potato
- 8 oz chicken breast
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 cup sliced pineapple
- 1/2 cup of white rice
- Steak salad
Big Ramy eats clean, lifts heavy, and enlists the support of supplements to fill in the gaps where his body needs an extra boost.
Anyone can look at Big Ramy and agree that his hard work and dedication to weightlifting workout routines are the reason he’s been so successful. His muscle composition makes Arnold Schwarzenegger’s body look like a string bean!
With the proper diet, commitment to a solid workout plan like Big Ramy’s workout routine, you’ll be surprised at how quickly you lose body fat and start to resemble Big Ramy himself.
Make a commitment, be inspired by Ramy’s work ethic, and get to work!