What are the best curl bars?
A curl bar is a weightlifting bar designed for upper body training, as with each lift, you build strength in your biceps and triceps.
You can lift a curl bar by itself or add weights to maximize strength gains.
While the benefits of curl bars are clear, it can be tough to decide on your favorite, as there’s no shortage of bicep curl bar brands out there.
Luckily, we did all the research and rounded up the top 10 best curl bars so you can get right to work on building upper arm strength.
Check out our list of the top curl bars to give your strength training routine a real boost.
The Best Curl Bars Compared
Our equipment lists are created by researching the best-reviewed products from the most reputable web sources.
Here’s our list of the 10 best curl bars:
In A Rush? Here’s Our Top Pick:
10. XMark Fitness – Chisel XM-3675
The XMark Fitness – Chisel XM-3675 curl bar offers smooth, quiet spins with four needle bearings and an easy snap ring lock system.
The brand says its premium Chisel Olympic curl bar is used not just for bicep curls but also for tricep bars, curl benches, and dumbbell benches.
This stainless steel and iron bar has a 28mm knurled grip and rotating ends for reliable use, not to mention the precise manganese phosphate coating that ensures a comfortable grip.
The sleek curved bar measures 51 x 6 x 5 inches and keeps your arms in a natural position to lower the risk of injuries and help you build a powerful upper body.
Preacher curls, upright rows, reverse grip curls, and overhead tricep extensions are some of the most popular exercises to do with this bar.
- Adequate knurling on a long, heavy bar.
- Reliable performance with smooth, quiet spins.
- Curved bar helps to protect against injury.
- Solid stainless steel and iron construction.
- Great for tricep curls and upright rows.
- Abrasion protection.
- Finish may wear away easily.
9. Synergee – Red & Black Phosphate EZ Curl Bar
The Synergee – Red & Black Phosphate EZ Curl Bar is an excellent choice if you like tricep extensions in addition to bicep curls.
Give your full arms a good workout with this Olympic bar, finished with black phosphate and powder-coated brass bushings.
The high-quality steel material offers impressive durability and supports a 400 lb. max weight capacity, so you can challenge yourself to heavy rows, extensions, and curls.
Also, the ergonomic design features a curved shaft to help isolate arm muscles and reduce stress on sensitive wrists and shoulders.
This bar weighs 20 lb., measures 47.2 x 3 x 3 inches, and has a 28mm knurled grip.
- Ergonomic design is great for tricep extensions.
- 6.25 inches of loadable sleeve length on both sides.
- 400 lb. max weight capacity for rows, extensions, and curls.
- Isolates arm muscles and reduces wrist stress.
- Curved bar maintains natural position.
- Adequate spin for comfortable reps.
- Some users say knurling could be improved.
8. XMark Fitness – IronHorse Horseshoe EZ Curl Bar
If you want an EZ curl bar that’s easy to clean and built to last through years of heavy lifting, then the XMark Fitness IronHorse Horseshoe bar is the way to go.
With a special black manganese phosphate finish and smooth surface that can be wiped down easily, you can enjoy a comfortable bicep curl workout every time.
This bar works with 2-inch Olympic or bumper plates, and it’s great for bicep and tricep muscle isolation.
The 25mm medium knurled grip keeps your arms in a natural position to reduce injury during lifting exercises, and the angled handles enhance comfort too.
While many other Olympic weight bars need regular adjusting for the bolts, this one does not, using snap rings to lock everything in place instead.
- Long-lasting, low-maintenance Olympic bar.
- Promotes natural position and injury prevention.
- Good for upright rows and reverse grip curls.
- Upgraded brass bushings.
- Comfortable angled handles.
- Minimal adjustments required.
- Doesn’t fit on most racks.
7. XMark Fitness – XM-3670 EZ Curl Bar With Medium Knurling
The XMark Fitness – XM-3670 EZ Curl Bar has medium knurling and durable chrome sleeves to make it one of the best Olympic weightlifting bars out there.
The long-lasting nylon bushings keep this bar in great condition for years of bicep curls and tricep extensions, and it has a maximum capacity of 400 lb.
With a snap ring lock system that cuts down on maintenance and a dynamic design that requires few adjustments, this bar is great for preacher curls and upright rows.
XMark Fitness says its black manganese phosphate coating offers a unique grip that’s firm yet comfortable for numerous repetitions.
This super-strong steel bar has a 25mm grip and measures 40 x 40 x 20 inches.
- 22 lb. solid steel EZ curl bar.
- Medium knurling supports alternating grips.
- Hard finish protects against abrasion.
- 25mm grip shaft with snug sleeves.
- Doesn’t need constant bolt adjustments.
- Easy to maintain.
- Knurled grip may cause sore hands over time.
6. XMark Fitness – XM-3675 EZ Curl Bar
XMark Fitness – XM-3675 EZ Curl Bar is a great Olympic curl bar with a medium-knurled grip and a maximum weight limit of 400 lb.
The durable alloy steel construction supports this heavy-duty curl bar, which provides comfort throughout bicep curls and tricep extensions.
It has a durable chrome finish with brass bushings and a snap ring lock system for smooth lifting and the ideal traction and grip.
The brand says its curl bars can be easily cleaned with a light coat of WD-40.
However, the heavy-duty manganese phosphate finish is naturally excellent at protecting against corrosion and abrasions.
You can alternate grips to change lift intensity on this curl bar which weighs 24 lb. and measures 51 x 6 x 5 inches with a 28mm grip size.
- Olympic curl bar with comfortable medium knurled grip.
- Ideal for bicep curls and tricep extensions.
- Easy to alternate grips for different intensities.
- Self-lubricating brass alloy bushings.
- Protects against abrasion and corrosion.
- Solid steel EZ curl bar.
- Sleeves may feel a bit loose.
5. Synergee – Black EZ Curl Bar
The Synergee – Black EZ Curl Bar has an impressive ergonomic design ideal for bicep curls and tricep extensions.
The EZ curl bar has a chrome and black phosphate finish with powder-coated brass bushings for a commercial-style construction that lasts for years.
It has a 450 lb. weight capacity and standard knurling with a curve that supports a semi-supinated grip.
You can keep your elbows in a neutral position to lower the risk of injury while lifting your desired 2-inch standard plates for a bicep-boosting workout.
This bar features a 28mm grip and measures 47.3 x 3 x 3 inches with 6.25 inches of loadable sleeve length on either side.
- Alloy steel EZ curl bar with ergonomic design.
- 2-inch diameter sleeves and max load of 450 lb.
- Standard knurling and curved support.
- Maintains neutral elbow position.
- Smooth chrome and phosphate finish.
- Builds upper arm and stabilizer muscles.
- Lighter than other bars at 19 lb.
- Shorter loadable sleeve length than some bars.
4. Valor Fitness – OB-MULTI Swiss Bar
The Valor Fitness – OB-MULTI Swiss Bar has knurled grips for efficient bench press curls and pressing to maximize muscle development.
This football-style aluminum barbell weighs 26 lb. and measures 73 x 7 x 2 inches, offering effective bench press, rows, curls, and tricep workouts.
The chrome sleeves have grooves to prevent plate sliding, while the heavy-duty bar is made of 12-gauge steel for a durable finish.
Six ergonomic grips give you the choice of four different positions to minimize shoulder and wrist strain for a neutral bench press.
Valor Fitness recommends this multi-grip bar for shoulder presses, hammer curls, bicep curls, bicep rows, and skull crushers.
- Steel knurl grip handles.
- Multi-grip minimizes shoulder strain.
- Ergonomic design fits Olympic weights.
- Alternates angle and hand positions.
- Supports a natural range of motion.
- Good for bench presses, curls, and rows.
- Some users say the grips are too narrow.
- End caps could pop off.
3. Synergee – Multi-Grip Curl Bar
Synergee makes the best multi-grip curl bar with four positions for an angled neutral grip to support pressing, lifting, and curls.
Also known as a Swiss, American, or football lifting bar, it’s perfect for presses and extensions that build muscle and power exciting gym gains.
The non-knurled steel bar is designed for Olympic weights and works well on a Smith machine fitted with gun racks.
Thanks to the dynamic design, you can adjust the width of your grip while staying safe and comfortable.
The 2-inch sleeves are compatible with the brand’s aluminum collars and bumper plates, too.
It weighs 27 lb. and measures 82 x 11.4 x 2 inches.
- Multi-grip curl bar for pressing, lifting, and curls.
- 4 alternative grips for angled neutral positions.
- Reduces shoulder stress and helps with mobility.
- Can be used with a Smith machine.
- Designed for Olympic weights.
- Long-lasting black matte finish.
- Complex design may not be for everyone.
- Multi-grip options may take some getting used to.
2. Ivanko – EZ-Curl Bar
Ivanko – EZ-Curl Bar is the best heavy-duty curl bar with durable construction made for commercial use.
It weighs 29.5 lb. and has a 30mm grip, making it easy to hold onto for powerful bicep curls to work the upper arm muscles.
The 5 ft. bar has a 38.5-inch length between inside collars so you can fit your Olympic weights, and the sleeve loading length is 9.5 inches.
Ivanko says its curl bar is highly durable and lasts for years even when used daily, and it can be set on a separate preacher curl rack for easy use and storage.
- Highly durable commercial bar.
- Holds Olympic weights.
- Comfortable 30mm grip.
- 9.5-inch sleeve loading.
- 29.5 lb. suits lifters of all levels.
- Adequate length between collars for balance.
- Needs a separate preacher curl rack for racking.
1. CAP Barbell – Black Curl Bar
CAP Barbell – Black Curl Bar is the best curl bar overall with medium-depth diamond knurling to avoid slipping and a 15-inch loadable sleeve.
This black 2-inch deluxe curl bar has angled handles and rotating sleeves to cut down on wrist and forearm pressure during lifting.
The bronze bushings in the sleeves give it a smooth spin with a black oxide finish and 30mm grip.
This high-quality solid steel bar is covered by a five-year warranty and weighs 30 lb. so you can effectively target the triceps, biceps, back, and chest.
The brand says its curl bar supports muscle development and is popular for both home and commercial gyms.
- Deluxe 2-inch curl bar with angled handles.
- Rotating sleeves minimize wrist pressure.
- Medium-depth diamond knurling.
- Smooth spine with bronze bushings.
- 15-inch loadable sleeve.
- Non-slip 30mm grip.
- Doesn’t include spring clips.
- Not long enough to be rackable.
FAQs About Curl Bars
After checking out the best curl bar brands, learn more about different types of curl bars, their benefits, and all the other most frequently asked questions around curl bars.
Q: What Is the Point of an EZ Curl Bar?
An EZ curl bar is designed to minimize stress on the wrist and forearm during common arm exercises like bicep curls and tricep extensions.
These bars increase grip comfort and help with muscle isolation and activation for a more effective training routine that builds muscle strength.
Strength training with an EZ curl bar and similar equipment can prevent the loss of muscle mass and improve overall physical performance.
Q: What Are the Benefits of a Curl Bar?
There are many benefits to curl bars, as they isolate arm muscles for more effective training and muscle growth, whether you’re just lifting the bar itself or adding hundreds of pounds to Olympic weight plates.
A curl bar workout routine is also beneficial because the natural angle allows you to target the full muscle for complete development.
In addition to increased muscle activation, curl bars also have a comfortable ergonomic grip to deliver the stability and support you need during lifting.
Q: What Muscles Does a Curl Bar Work?
Both straight and EZ curl bars activate the arm muscles, although an Olympic EZ curl bar isolates biceps and triceps in particular.
The best EZ curl bar works the brachialis, which supports elbow flexion and the biceps brachii muscle that makes up the front of the upper arm.
If you want to build bigger biceps with controlled, heavy weightlifting, then a curl bar can help develop your arm muscles and increase resistance strength.
Q: Is a Curl Bar Better Than Dumbbells?
While both dumbbells and curl bars are important for increasing muscle activity and strength, curl bars are more challenging.
That’s because curl bars support heavier loads compared to dumbbells, as you can put the same size weight on both ends of the bar.
Most fitness enthusiasts use a bicep curl bar for heavy-duty, high-intensity workouts and then incorporate dumbbells for additional arm and ab exercises.
Q: How Much Weight Can a Curl Bar Hold?
The best curl bars hold around 400 lb., although you should always check before buying a new bar to be safe.
The good thing about working out with a curl bar is you can start small using just the bar itself if you’re a beginner or add several weight plates to each side if you’ve been lifting for a while.
Q: How to Choose a Curl Bar?
Luckily, with curl bars, you can get a typical knurled grip on a safe and simple design or a more complex multi-grip bar if you prefer.
Consider the length of the bar and how much room you’ll have to add your favorite weights, whether they be one-inch or two-inch Olympic plates.
When shopping for curl bars, one other thing to keep in mind is the overall design and any maintenance requirements.
Some strength training bars have a smoother performance than others, so take a look at the maintenance and warranty information before buying.
If you’re looking for bigger biceps, a new curl bar is always a great investment.
You can incorporate a quality bicep curl bar in your daily workout routine to build upper arm strength and challenge yourself in the gym.
There are many curl bars out there, but the best ones have a special non-slip grip, are long enough to accommodate your preferred weights, and can take your workouts to the next level.
Here’s a quick recap of the 10 best curl bars:
- CAP Barbell – Black Curl Bar
- Ivanko – EZ-Curl Bar
- Synergee – Multi-Grip Curl Bar
- Valor Fitness – OB-MULTI Swiss Bar
- Synergee – Black EZ Curl Bar
- XMark Fitness – XM-3675 EZ Curl Bar
- XMark Fitness – XM-3670 EZ Curl Bar With Medium Knurling
- XMark Fitness – IronHorse Horseshoe EZ Curl Bar
- Synergee – Red & Black Phosphate EZ Curl Bar
- XMark Fitness – Chisel XM-3675 – Best