Gym Equipment Reviews
The 10 Best Stair Climbers
What are the best stair climbers?
A stair climbing machine is a type of fitness equipment that simulates climbing flights of stairs.
Stair climbers are a great way to switch up your endurance training while burning fat and developing muscles.
We know there are many stair climbing machines out there, so we researched all the options to help you find the best stair climber for your cardio goals.
Take a look at our list of the top stair climbers to transform your cardio routine and maximize results.
The Best Stair Climbers Compared
Our equipment lists are created by researching the best-reviewed products from the most reputable web sources.
Here’s our list of the 10 best stair climbers:
In A Rush? Here’s Our Top Pick:
10. Sunny Health & Fitness – Stair Stepper Machine
Sunny Health & Fitness gives you a twisting stair climber workout for lateral side-to-side action that effectively builds muscles.
It targets different muscles than traditional step machines, offering a fluid motion to tone muscles and work out the arms, legs, and core.
This stair climber machine allows you to switch between high-intensity shallow steps and steep climbs, as resistance increases the higher the steps.
The convenient digital display monitors time, calories, step count, and scan, while the adjustable handlebar and unique stabilizer ring keep you safe and comfortable.
This compact design measures 21.9 x 18.5 x 49.8 inches and is ultra-lightweight at 25 lb.
- Twist action and adjustable stepping height.
- Adjustable handlebar for simple adjustments.
- Stabilizer ring creates an unshakeable base.
- Lightweight and easy to set up and store.
- Heavy-duty steel design.
- Non-slip pedals.
- Not as durable as other stair steppers.
- Requires batteries.
9. Relife Rebuild Your Life – Vertical Climber
The Relife Rebuild Your Life vertical climber has a fast-folding design for easy storage, plus a long-lasting steel construction.
The thick foot support rod keeps you comfortable, while four metal guide rails increase stability and durability for a weight capacity of 260 lb.
Five adjustable resistance levels help you get a different feel throughout your workout, whether you want a motion that feels like jogging, running or even rock climbing.
This stair stepper workout machine weighs just 43 lb. and measures 37.5 x 28 x 85 inches, so you can fold it up to store in the corner or beneath the bed.
The mainframe is protected by a one-year warranty, while the rest of the machine has a lifetime warranty.
- Folds easily to fit under the bed or in the corner.
- Sturdy triangular design and steel construction.
- Five adjustable levels for a variety of resistance.
- Jogging, running, and rock climbing workouts.
- Protective foot support and guide rails.
- Warranty protection.
- Requires greasing after a few uses.
- Higher risk of falling compared to other machines.
8. Maxi Climber – Vertical Climber
The original patented Maxi Climber is the ideal vertical climber for muscle toning with access to the BONUS companion fitness app for iPhone and Android.
It’s a versatile vertical climber that suits all fitness levels, offering a full-body workout combining muscle toning and calorie burning in the same fluid motion.
This machine supports up to 240 lb. and provides a low-impact workout that’s gentle on the knees and ankles, so if you’ve had previous injuries, this is a good option.
It’s lightweight and height-adjustable, with a compact folding design for effective storage.
Plus, it comes 90% pre-assembled, so you can get right to work burning twice as many calories as you would on a treadmill.
The vertical climber measures 57 x 10 x 6 inches and weighs just 33 lb., making it easy to set up and position wherever you want.
- Vertical climber designed for muscle toning and calorie burning.
- Low impact to protect the knees and ankles.
- Compact, lightweight, and height-adjustable.
- Ideal for aerobic exercise and core workouts.
- Includes fitness app access.
- Comes 90% pre-assembled.
- Max recommended user height is 6.2 feet.
- Requires batteries.
7. MaxiClimber – XL-2000
The MaxiClimber – XL-2000 is a hydraulic resistance vertical climber that combines muscle toning and aerobic exercise to maximize calorie burn.
There are 12 resistance levels, and you can pair it with the brand’s free fitness app to establish a good routine for a successful sweat session every time.
The brand says its next-generation MaxiClimber has been redesigned for the smoothest and quietest performance with a long-lasting roller mechanism.
You can double your calorie burn with HIIT routines and enjoy stable support with the anti-sliding leveling mechanism for efficient exercise, even on uneven surfaces.
It weighs around 50 lb. and measures 55.6 x 11.5 x 8.5 inches, so it’s easy to move and set up in your home gym.
- Smooth vertical climber with 12 resistance levels.
- MaxiClimber free fitness app for guided workouts.
- Can be installed anywhere. No electrical outlet is required.
- Lightweight aluminum frame.
- Smooth, quiet performance.
- Anti-sliding mechanism for added safety.
- No automatic load change.
- Not as many exercises to choose from.
6. Sunny Health & Fitness – Stair Climber
Sunny Health & Fitness has the best stair climber for cross-training with full-motion arm exercisers and a quality performance monitor.
The elliptical cardio climber offers an effective stepping motion with pulse sensors and 8-level adjustable resistance.
The heavy-duty steel frame lets you climb and stride for however long you want, with intense movements that boost fat burn and muscle toning.
This smooth-operating machine gives you a vertical climb of 9 inches and a horizontal stride of 5 inches.
It makes minimal noise with the unique belt-drive mechanism and features a calendar, clock, thermometer, and calorie counter.
This stair climber measures 44 x 25 x 64 inches and weighs 95 lb. with a maximum user weight of 260 lb.
- Cross trainer stair climber for full-motion arm exercise.
- Elliptical cardio climber for calorie-burning steps.
- 8-level adjustable resistance and pulse sensors.
- Performance monitor and device holder.
- Transport wheels and floor stabilizer.
- No electric plug-in is required.
- Display is rather basic compared to some of the other best stair climbers.
- Replacement batteries may be required for display eventually.
5. Bowflex – Max Trainer M8
Bowflex Max Trainer M8 is the best stair climber for custom workouts with Bowflex JRNY, a personalized coaching technology that’s fully integrated for daily custom workouts.
This innovative tech automatically adjusts time and intensity as you build better fitness, making even the shortest workouts count.
The multi-grip handles provide excellent support throughout full-body workouts, as this machine combines the low-impact motion of an elliptical with calorie-burning steps for fantastic cardio workouts.
The interactive full-color backlit display has a magnetic media rack to hold your phone or tablet, and it also has integrated contact grips to keep track of your heart rate via Bluetooth.
This stair climbing machine is much smaller than most cardio equipment, so you can roll it into any corner.
It weighs 148 lb. and measures 46.5 x 29 x 22.5 inches.
- Custom workouts with Bowflex JRNY coaching technology.
- Interactive backbit display and Bluetooth connection.
- High calorie-burning potential.
- Lightweight, space-saving design.
- Dynamic multi-grip handles.
- Magnetic media shelf and transport wheels.
- Bowflex JRNY app subscription required for custom workouts.
4. Cascade Health & Fitness – Stair Climber
The Cascade Climber features pedals instead of steps, helping to burn more calories faster for effective cardio workouts.
It has 16 resistance levels for high and low-intensity workouts, plus three hand positions on the quick-release handles for extra comfort.
Built-in Bluetooth lets you listen to music or take phone calls while working out, giving you the same features as many other stair steppers but in a more compact design.
The console is easy to read with six program options to display steps, step height, time, cadence, calories, level, distance, steps/min, and heart rate.
This lightweight machine is easy to move around when setting up your home gym as it weighs 144 lb. and measures 41 x 46 x 92.5 inches.
- Pedal stair climber with 16 resistance levels.
- Good for high and low-intensity workouts.
- Six program options and tracking display.
- Tracks steps/min, heart rate, calories, and cadence.
- Easy to set up and lightweight at only 144 lb.
- Built-in Bluetooth.
- May feel less stable than a full stair stepper.
- Handles can get uncomfortable after a while.
3. Jacobs Ladder – Gronk Edition Step Machine
Jacobs Ladder Gronk Edition is an impressive cardio machine that gives you a reliable full-body workout.
This machine lets you exercise both your arms and legs simultaneously, increasing your cardiovascular workout to boost calorie burn quickly and effectively.
The patented stair climber is like a non-motorized continuous treadmill with ladder-style rungs. It’s self-paced, so it speeds up as you do.
The ladder has a 40-degree angle for a natural climbing motion that minimizes stress on the lower back, hips, and knees.
The dynamic construction includes rungs made of solid maple and an ABS/polyethylene case.
It measures 76 x 27 x 66 inches and weighs 300 lb. with digital readouts including feet climbed, calorie burn, elapsed time, rate (feet/min), and heart rate (wireless).
- Made for full-body workouts with calorie and climbing digital readouts.
- Self-paced stair climber with a non-motorized continuous treadmill.
- Ladder-style rungs with a safe, sturdy grip.
- Angled ladder supports natural climbing motion.
- Reduces stress on the lower back, hips, and knees.
- Lower ceiling height requirement at 7.5 feet.
- Not as many features/special displays.
- Manual speed control may take some getting used to.
2. StairMaster – 8 Series 8G
StairMaster – 8 Series 8G has a bright LCD console with Bluetooth connectivity to track user workout data.
There’s a variety of simple safety controls to switch the level, stop/start the machine, and keep track of your heart rate.
The hot bar is easily accessible for one-finger speed and elevation controls, as well as contact heart rate grips.
You can charge your phone or tablet with the USB port and take advantage of the heart rate measurement system on the embedded screen display.
This stair climber weighs 343 lb. and measures 58 x 34 x 89 inches. It also comes with multiple bottle and accessory holders too.
- Entertainment LCD console.
- Bluetooth connectivity for data tracking.
- Hot bar safety controls for easy stop, start and switch.
- One-finger speed and elevation controls.
- Contact heart rate grips and holding accessories.
- Charges phones and tablets with the USB port.
- Needs a minimum ceiling height of 10 feet.
1. StairMaster – 10 Series 10G
The StairMaster 10 Series 10G is the best stair climber overall, with a vibrant LCD screen and a long-lasting alloy steel construction.
It has a safe corded electric power source and a performance handrail system to keep you safe throughout any stair workout, including the push/carry option in the OverDrive Training Mode.
This stair climbing machine offers an exciting new HIIT workout that stimulates pushing or carrying a load up flights of stairs.
The extensive speed range gives you 25 levels going up to 190SPM, and you can connect your Apple Watch to keep track of your efforts in real-time.
With an optimal entry and exit, you can get on and off easily. The brand even says it has the lowest step-up height and widest, deepest step for optimal results.
This stair climber measures 63 x 34 x 83 inches and has a limited 10-year warranty on the frame and parts.
- Large speed range up to 190SPM with 25 levels.
- HIIT workouts with OverDrive Training Mode.
- Stimulates pushing and carrying loads up the stairs.
- GymKit with LCD and OpenHub 15″ screen.
- Connects to Apple Watch for easy tracking.
- Low step-up height and wide, deep step.
- Safe entry and exit.
- Can only fit through doors 34″ and wider.
- Heavier machine weighing 646 lb.
FAQs About Stair Climbers
After checking out the best stair climbers on the market, learn more about this in-demand workout equipment with our answers to the most frequently asked questions about stair climbers.
Q: What Are Stair Climbers Good For?
Stair climbers offer a fun cardio boost and are a great way to build and tone muscle throughout your arms and legs.
The best stair climbing machine helps to lower blood pressure and maintain healthy body weight, the same as climbing flights of stairs.
If you want to burn calories, work your arms and legs, and target your core too, then stair climbers offer an effective workout to bring you closer to your gym goals.
Q: What Are the Benefits of a Stair Climber?
A stair climber offers extensive fitness benefits, including increased cardiovascular fitness, improved balance, and better endurance.
Like elliptical machines and other cardio equipment, stair climbers burn calories to help you lose weight.
High-intensity stair climbing workouts can burn more calories than other cardio machines.
Another advantage of using a stair stepper is that it strengthens major muscles throughout your arms, legs, and core.
If you want to tone your legs and work your arms at the same time, the best stair climbers are always a smart choice.
Q: Are Stair Climbers Good for Losing Weight?
If you’re looking for a workout routine to help you lose weight, stair climbers are a great way to go.
Just like taking the stairs in a tall building, stair climbing helps to achieve and ultimately maintain healthy body weight, plus it increases aerobic capacity and bone density.
An hour-long session on a stair climbing machine could burn nearly 700 calories, which is more than a traditional cardio machine.
The more calories and fat you burn, the better your chances of losing weight, so stair climbers are an excellent choice.
Q: What Muscles Do Stair Climbers Work?
Stair climbers give you a full-body workout that builds core muscles while toning and sculpting the entire body.
They also engage your abs, gluteus, hamstrings, quads, and calves to create greater definition in your legs.
Stair climbing increases leg muscle strength and also helps combat aging, keeping people of all ages healthy and agile.
Q: Is a Stair Climber Better Than a Treadmill?
While both stair climbers and treadmills are important workout equipment to include in your home gym, stair steppers burn more calories as a killer leg workout.
You should get at least 75 minutes of intense aerobic activity every week, and a stair climber helps you smash those goals and burn twice as many calories as a treadmill.
You could burn over 600 calories in one hour on the stair climber, while the same workout on a treadmill burns around 200-300 calories.
Many people like to do a high-intensity workout on the stair climber, followed by a cool down on the treadmill, but you can switch things up however you want.
Q: Which Stair Climber to Choose?
Choosing a stair climber to help you build body resistance can be difficult, just because there are so many different stair steppers out there.
You can take your pick of heavy-duty stair climbing machines that look like a full staircase, or you can opt for a vertical climber with pedals.
Also, consider the safety features and how much stability and support you want throughout your stair climber workout.
Something else to think about is technology, and how simple or fancy you want the screen display to be.
Many stair climbers connect to phones and Bluetooth so you can track workouts and stay entertained throughout an intense exercise routine.
No matter which stair climber you choose, you can look forward to an effective cardio training session that makes you sweat and burns a lot of calories while building muscle at the same time.
A stair climbing machine is an excellent way to get your heart rate up and burn calories while also training endurance and athleticism.
If you’re looking to switch things up with a new stair climber, there are plenty of options out there.
The best stair climbers have many different levels and personalized workout options so you can make the most of your time on the stairs.
Here’s a quick recap of the 10 best stair climbers:
- StairMaster – 10 Series 10G
- StairMaster – 8 Series 8G
- Jacobs Ladder – Gronk Edition Step Machine
- Cascade Health & Fitness – Stair Climber
- Bowflex – Max Trainer M8
- Sunny Health & Fitness – Stair Climber
- MaxiClimber – XL-2000
- Maxi Climber – Vertical Climber
- Relife Rebuild Your Life – Vertical Climber
- Sunny Health & Fitness – Stair Stepper Machine
If you enjoyed this article, check out our other equipment lists:
What’s your favorite stair climber? Leave a comment below.
SEARCH THE SITE