Gym Equipment Reviews
The 10 Best Elliptical Machines
What are the best elliptical machines?
You can do strength training and weight lifting all day, but there’s no denying the health benefits of adding cardio to your workouts.
Not only does cardio strengthen your heart, lower blood pressure and burn calories, but it actually makes you a better weightlifter.
Low-impact cardio on an elliptical machine promotes muscle growth and helps your body foster a stronger cardiovascular system.
Are you sold on the idea of adding some kind of elliptical workout to your fitness routine? Keep reading for the best ellipticals money can buy.
The Best Elliptical Machines Compared
Our equipment lists are created by researching the best-reviewed products from the most reputable companies and web sources.
Here’s our list of the 10 best elliptical machines:
In A Rush? Here’s Our Top Pick:
10. Cubii JR1 – Elliptical Machine
If you sit at a desk all day or for some portion of the day, Cubii has a fantastic under-the-desk elliptical machine that you can use while working.
Think about it — while you’re on conference calls, taking a class, or even sitting on the couch… you can work out too.
Its compact size creates easy accessibility virtually anywhere in your home or office.
Some exercise equipment can be loud or emit some sort of sound.
The Cubii elliptical machine is virtually silent, allowing you to complete important tasks, read or watch TV all while getting some cardio in.
- Compact size allows you to work out from anywhere in your home or office
- Weighs 27 pounds
- 8 resistance speeds support a variety of fitness levels and build strength
- Built-in LCD tracks your progress via RPM, active minutes, calories burned, distance traveled, and more
- Low-impact machine is gentle on joints and ligaments
- Connects to a mobile app for tracking and sharing progress your community
- Cubii Studio+ offers live classes and training for an additional cost
- Some users report that the machine is not as quiet as advertised
- Expensive price point
9. Sunny Health & Fitness – Elliptical Machine
Designed for any fitness level, this steel-made elliptical machine by Sunny Health & Fitness has 16 resistance levels and 24 workout modes you can try.
Non-slip foot pedals keep you feeling secure and safe while you get your sweat on.
The machine has transportation wheels, so you can easily move it from room to room or store it out of sight if you need to. Floor stabilizers prevent tipping or rocking while in motion.
- Maximum weight capacity 330 pounds
- Made of durable steel
- Built-in device holder for your smartphone
- Pulse grips track your heart rate during workouts
- 16 adjustable resistance levels
- Floor stabilizers keep the elliptical steady during workouts
- Performance monitor tracks speed, time, distance, RPM, and calories
- 24 workout modes to target different areas, build strength and stamina
- Some users report this machine is clunky during use
8. Schwinn – 411 Elliptical Machine
If your workout space is limited and you need a compact elliptical to complete your home gym, Schwinn has produced a winner.
Boasting an 18” stride length, this elliptical will allow you to still get an effective cardio workout without taking up so much space.
13 programs to choose from and 16 resistance levels will leave you feeling satisfied and challenged every time you step off the elliptical.
- 16 resistance levels
- Made of durable steel
- 5.5” high-contrast LCD
- The console tracks speed, time, distance, calories, heart rate
- Maximum weight capacity 300 pounds
- Explore the World app (3 free courses) to workout from anywhere, virtually
- Easy assembly
- Many users report that customer service is lacking
- Some report the roller wheels having sticking issues
7. Niceday – Elliptical Machine
Designed with larger pedals, a wider handlebar, and a 15.5” stride, Niceday had larger individuals in mind when they created this machine.
With a 400-pound max capacity and 16 resistance levels, any user can jump on this elliptical and get an effective workout.
Its steel frame provides durability, so you won’t feel any tipping or wobbling.
- Maximum weight capacity 400 pounds
- Hyper-quiet magnetic driving system for noise elimination
- 16 resistance levels
- Arrives 90% pre-assembled
- Fit for users 4’9” to 6’2”
- Main frame made from extra-thick commercial steel for extra durability
- A digital monitor displays time, speed, distance, calories, and pulse
- Common critical reviews say the machine is only quiet for a few initial workouts
6. Schwinn – 430 Elliptical Machine
Improve cardio workouts and increase muscle strength with the Schwinn 430 elliptical machine.
This resistance training beast will have you looking and feeling your best, thanks to 20 resistance levels.
Technology on the elliptical helps you achieve your workout goals and see your progress by tracking distance, time, and calories compared to previous workouts.
- 22 preset workout modes
- 20 resistance levels offer a wide range of intensity
- 2 LCDs to track goals and gain insight into programs
- Set exercise goals with Goal Tracking capability
- 20” stride mimics a natural running motion
- Moving and fixed handlebars
- Easy start-up for smooth, quiet workouts
- Cushioned footplates enable a low-impact workout
- Common critical reviews say the screen is not high-quality
- The machine can be noisy
5. Schwinn – 470 Elliptical Machine
For those who get bored doing the same workouts on a machine, Schwinn 470 is your saving grace.
With 29 workout programs and tons of apps to connect to, there’s no way you’ll lose focus on this elliptical machine. A new class, a new challenge every time you step on to work out.
Set, track, and monitor your progress with apps like MyFItnessPal, FitBit, and more.
Get the training experience you need with the Schwinn 470. You’ll see endurance improvement, muscle strength, weight loss, and more.
- 29 workout programs
- Bluetooth connectivity & syncs with various apps
- 20” precision path stride
- Maximum weight capacity 300 pounds
- 2 DualTrack backlit LCD screens
- Users often report the LCD and tracking components are inaccurate
4. Sole Fitness – E25 Elliptical Machine
If elliptical workouts are new to you, Sole Fitness had you in mind when designing their E25 elliptical machine.
Step up your cardio game without sustaining any injuries from common cardio workouts like running or cycling.
Sole’s design creates a safe, effective workout every time.
Oversized pedals that feature a 2-degree inward slope will protect your ankles and knees from unnecessary stress.
- 19-pound flywheel for smooth, quiet performance
- Power incline for resistance training
- 6.25” LCD screen tracks time, distance, calories, resistance
- Built-in cooling fans
- Maximum weight capacity 325 pounds
- Functions in forward and reverse for additional muscle training
- 20” stride length
- No heart rate control
- Pedals are not adjustable
3. NordicTrack – SpaceSaver SE7i
For fitness households, NordicTrack should check all the boxes for every user in your family.
22 resistance levels enable various fitness levels to jump on and get an effective workout.
The adjustable power ramp allows for quick modifications, along with the adjustable stride for users of any size and height.
- Made from durable alloy steel
- Built-in cooling fan
- Track workout metrics with the 5-inch display
- Maximum weight capacity 325 pounds
- Compact, foldable design to store away when needed
- Trainer-led workouts with additional subscription (not included)
- The majority of critical reviews state that NordicTrack customer service is lacking
- Not for smaller spaces or workout areas
2. Nautilus – E618 Elliptical Machine
If you’re the person at the gym with everything synced up, music playing, screens, and apps tracking your progress… we’re confident the Nautilus elliptical machine will hit the nail on the head for you!
The Nautilus elliptical has several app-syncing capabilities and Bluetooth connectivity to track your progress, set and monitor goals.
Connect to the RunSocial app and enjoy stunning views from 19 locations worldwide while working out with other users from all over the world.
- Maximum weight capacity 350 pounds
- Bluetooth connectivity and sync with popular fitness apps
- Cooling fan pre-installed
- Programs for heart-rate training, interval training, and weight loss
- A common complaint of this machine is that the arms are too close together
1. Bowflex – Max Trainer M8
Without further ado, we bring you to our #1 choice of elliptical machines!
The Bowflex Max Trainer M8 meets the criteria and expectations of any individual — it’s compact, durable, techy, and totally hits the bullseye on resistance training and endurance-building.
What more could you want from an elliptical?
- Space-saving size is perfect for home gyms or to roll away for storage
- Full-color display and media rack for your devices
- 20 levels of resistance
- Multi-grip handles
- Durable, sports performance pedals
- 7 guided workout programs
- 4 user profiles on one machine
- Assembly can be difficult
FAQs About Elliptical Machines
Here are some of our answers to the most frequently asked questions about elliptical machines:
Q: How effective is elliptical for weight loss?
When paired with proper lifestyle choices, including a healthy diet and regular exercise, weight loss can be achieved using an elliptical.
Because elliptical workouts are low impact but still cardio-based, they are effective at increasing heart rate, burning fat, reducing calories, and toning muscles.
30 minutes on an elliptical typically burns about 300 calories.
If you are thinking about implementing an elliptical machine into your weight loss regime, you can definitely see results when paired with a healthy diet, strength training, and other factors.
Q: Can I do elliptical every day?
Depending on the intensity of the workout, using the elliptical every day can be an effective way to tone up, increase muscle strength, and improve stamina.
However, you should be implementing other workouts into your routine as well. Weight training, yoga, and stretching are just as essential as cardio exercise.
An important part of every workout is stretching and a quick cool down. Invest in a vibrating foam roller to keep your muscles limber and to promote healthy blood flow.
Q: What is the best elliptical for home use?
There are some great options available for home gyms. In our humble opinion, the Bowflex Max Trainer M8 is the best in the game, for any fitness level.
There are 10 great options on this list, and we’re confident you’ll be able to find at least one that meets your budget and fitness goals.
If you are looking for something compact that can be stored away, we recommend the NordicTrack SpaceSaver SE7i.
It’s foldable and easy to move around your home gym or workout space.
Q: Is an elliptical machine worth it?
Aerobic exercise (cardio) is a workout that requires your heart and lungs to work harder to send oxygen and blood to your muscles.
Elliptical machines provide low-impact aerobic exercises that strengthen your heart, lungs, and muscles.
If you are recovering from an injury but still need a way to do cardio, ellipticals are a great option.
You’re still burning calories, working your heart and lungs, without the threat of injury or exacerbating any current pain you have.
Q: How To Choose / Which To Choose?
Price will always be a deciding factor when making a big purchase, and we recommend shopping around to find the best price that is suitable for what you want.
However, there are cheap options for anything. And in many cases, you get what you pay for.
Rather than purchasing the cheapest elliptical you can find, do some research and read the reviews of that machine and be aware of the company’s return policy and warranty.
If you buy cheap, you may get poor customer service and no guarantees if the equipment is damaged or broken.
You’ll end up spending more money in the long run if you opt for the cheapest option.
Do your research on price, and make sure you know what you’re buying!
The room you have available in your home gym or workout area will strongly influence the elliptical you select.
Make sure to measure properly the space you have allocated for the workout equipment and ensure the measurements of the machine you’re eyeing will fit in your home.
Depending on your fitness goals and current fitness level, resistance can decide the machine you choose.
Quality machines have higher resistance options thanks to a heavier flywheel and create a more challenging workout.
Shopping for a home gym can be challenging. Deciding what equipment you need while prioritizing your budget and fitness goals is the best way to go about it.
For the top 10 elliptical machines that money can buy, this post has great options for every individual, considering the price, quality, and resistance.
Here’s a quick recap of the 10 best elliptical machines:
- Bowflex – Max Trainer M8
- Nautilus – E618 Elliptical Machine
- NordicTrack – SpaceSaver SE7i
- Sole Fitness – E25 Elliptical Machine
- Schwinn – 470 Elliptical Machine
- Schwinn – 430 Elliptical Machine
- Niceday – Elliptical Machine
- Schwinn – 411 Elliptical Machine
- Sunny Health & Fitness – Elliptical Machine
- Cubii – JR1 Elliptical Machine
What’s your favorite elliptical machine? Leave a comment below.
SEARCH THE SITE