What are the best leg extension machines?
Whether you dread leg day or are a die-hard fan, there’s no denying that leg day can be a brutal workout and leave you feeling sore for days.
But, the results are so worth it!
In this list, we’ve rounded up ten of the most-loved leg extension machines that will undoubtedly give you the leg workout you’ve been missing at home.
The Best Leg Extension Machines Compared
Our equipment lists are created by researching the best-reviewed products from the most reputable companies and web sources.
Here’s our list of the 10 best leg extension machines:
In A Rush? Here’s Our Top Pick:
10. Weider – Platinum Series Utility Bench
Adding new equipment to a home gym setting can get pricey fast, so the Weider Utility Bench is a great candidate for shoppers on a budget who are still looking for a quality product.
With this leg extension bench, you can build strength at home.
Train your quads and hamstrings with a lower-body integration, isolate your biceps for challenging upper body exercises, and enjoy 7 bench positions to get the most from every lift.
Having a bench with leg extension gives you a great deal of variety in your exercises.
- 7 adjustable bench positions for incline, decline, and flat to accommodate a variety of exercises
- Maximum weight capacity 610 pounds
- An exercise chart included
- Olympic sleeve adapter (sold separately) for compatibility with 1” and 2” plates
- Tear-resistant vinyl seats
- Removal preacher pad to increase space for other exercises
- Not designed for taller users
- Some users report this bench can be wobbly
9. Fitness Reality – Leg Extension Machine
If your home gym or workout space is on the smaller side, Fitness Reality has a compact leg extension machine that will fit in the smallest of spaces and can fold up when you need to store it away.
While this leg extension machine may be compact, it sure doesn’t sacrifice functionality or quality.
With a max weight capacity of 850 pounds and a steel frame construction, you’ll have peace of mind knowing you are secure during any workout.
- 3 adjustable front roller options
- Maximum weight capacity 850 pounds
- Steel frame construction
- No seat gap in any position
- Backrest adjustable from -15 degree to +85 degree angles
- User height up to 6’4”
- 7-level adjustable back positions
- Detachable leg lockdown with 4 foam rollers
- 2-inch thick foam seat and backrest for comfort
- Can be folded up for storage
- Not suitable for anyone taller than 6’4”
- Some users report that the width of the bench is too narrow
8. Gold’s Gym – XRS 20 Olympic Bench
Just getting comfortable with using leg extension machines? Gold’s Gym is a great option for you.
This machine has 9.5-inch safety spotters that give you the confidence and peace of mind you need during any heavy workout.
These spotters support you during bench use and squat-type exercises, allowing you to focus entirely on your form and technique.
You’ll also enjoy the lightweight feel of this leg extension machine; at just 60 pounds, you’ll be able to move it around your home gym anytime you need.
- Maximum weight capacity 600 pounds (300 pounds user weight)
- Made from alloy steel
- Incline, decline, or flat surface positions
- 6-roll leg developer for quad, hamstring, and glute exercises
- 9.5-inch safety spotters for support during bench presses
- Detachable curl yoke for upper body workouts
- Simple assembly
- Narrow bench width for larger users
- Not for anyone over 300 pounds
7. Merax – Adjustable Leg Extension Machine
The Merax adjustable leg extension machine will have you crushing your fitness goals and feeling more confident than ever.
Build muscle and increase your stamina all from the comfort of your home gym with this widely customizable leg extension machine.
With 6 ladder adjustments and 3 seat positions, it’s a total body workout every time.
Whether you’re going for high intensity, slow burn, or somewhere in the middle, this leg extension machine is best for any type of full-body workout.
Just be prepared to crush it.
- Maximum weight capacity 550 pounds
- Made of 12-gauge solid steel for durability and stability
- Accommodates both 1” standard and 2” Olympic plates
- Steel plates at the base of the unit protect floors and keep the unit steady
- Fully adjustable incline and decline settings
- 2-inch thick high-density dual-layered seat padding
- Non-slip grip handle for easy movement or storage
- Somewhat wobbly during leg extensions
- Poor assembly instructions
6. Marcy – Adjustable Leg Extension Machine
Build your upper and lower body strength and sculpt muscles with the Marcy Adjustable leg extension machine.
The size, durability, and adjustable positions of this machine make it a great option for users looking for versatility in their workouts without breaking the bank to get there.
The leg developer allows for standard 1” plates or 2” Olympic plates to be added for an intense lower body workout.
- Maximum weight capacity 600 pounds
- Adjustable back pad with 6 positions
- Incline, decline, and flat bench workout positions
- High-density foam padding for maximum comfort
- Powder-coated steel frame
- Vinyl-covered foam rollers
- Transport handle and wheels
- Difficult assembly
- Not designed for taller users
5. Body-Solid – Powerline PLCE165X
We’ve all used a workout machine that is poorly padded, handles in the wrong places, or you just can’t get a proper grip to feel confident in your lift.
Body-Solid combats every uncomfortable workout you’ve ever experienced with your leg extension machine.
From the extra thick padding, wide base, and handgrip options, everything about the design of this machine just screams comfort.
Promoting balance and comfort while still offering a high-quality product is a Body-Solid job well done.
- Leg extensions and curls for lower body strength
- Double-stitched, extra-thick padding
- Wide base reduces rocking while in use
- Easily portable and weighs 44 pounds
- 2 sets of hand grips for maximum stability
- 1-inch post for standard plates
- Designed for home and commercial use
- No preacher curl attachment
- Not designed for decline exercises
4. XMark – Rotary Leg Extension Machine
Looking for a leg extension machine to build your strength, balance, and coordination? XMark-s the spot!
See what we did there?
In all seriousness, there isn’t a more adjustable leg extension machine on the market.
XMark has your back (literally) with adjustable positions on the press arm, thigh pad, and backrest… allowing you to find comfort and variety with every exercise.
- 20-position adjustable press arm
- 12-position adjustable thigh pad
- Fully adjustable backrest for all size users
- Made from 11-gauge steel with a powder-coated finish
- Ultra-thick Duracraft cushions for support
- Vinyl-covered rollers
- Rubber-grip handlebars
- Accommodates 1-inch standard and 2-inch Olympic plates
- Rear weight post for additional stability
- Expensive price point
- Better options for larger users
3. Body-Solid – GCEC340
So you’re looking for more than just your basic, run-of-the-mill leg extension machine. We get it!
Once you’ve paid your dues at the gym and are ready to build a home gym workout space, Body-Solid has some excellent choices.
This particular model is designed for our fitness junkies out there with the experience to really lean into these workouts to see form improvement and to tone up those tricky areas you’ve been working on.
- Designed to withstand a heavy workout
- 8-inch foam rollers for comfort
- Durafirm seat padding is extra thick
- Adjustable 7-gauge steel cam
- Commercial rated product
- Adjustable lifting arm for hamstring and quad exercises
- Difficult assembly
2. Body-Solid – ProClubLine SLE200G2
For the best of the best in leg extension machines, Body-Solid continues to wow us.
While the price point of this machine is higher than average, the quality and functionality are worth every penny.
It succeeds in delivering biomechanical movement patterns to tone your legs and knee joints without injury or back strain.
Smooth pulleys and an aircraft-quality steel cable guarantee smooth and powerful exercise without sacrificing durability.
- Includes a 210-pound weight stack
- Extra thick padding for maximum comfort
- 11-gauge steel frame with powder-coated finish
- Tear-resistant upholstery and foam for users of all sizes
- Adjustable footpads for proper alignment
- Not designed for heavier users
- Expensive price point
1. Body-Solid – S2LEC Pro Clubline Series II
And the gold medal goes to — Body-Solid Clubline Series II!
When it comes to design, durability, and quality, Body-Solid hits the mark every time.
In our opinion, this is the best machine available for leg extensions and similar workouts.
It’s not over-complicated, and it doesn’t have tons of adjustable options like others on this list do, but its simplicity is what makes it elite.
This Body-Solid machine promotes leg strength, flexibility, and relief from back pain, which is common when using machines like this.
- Includes a 160-pound stack (or 235 pounds)
- Emphasis on leg curl and leg extension exercises
- Full commercial warranty
- Stabilizer handles for muscle group isolation
- Time-consuming assembly
FAQs About Leg Extension Machines
Here are the answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about leg extension machines:
Q: What does a leg extension machine do?
A leg extension machine is an exercise machine where you sit with a heavily weighted pad on your lower legs and engage your quads repeatedly to lift and lower the leg bar.
Leg extension machines are effective because they provide a full range of motion while helping users avoid injury, regardless of how heavy you are lifting.
Q: What are leg extension exercises good for?
Leg extensions are one of the most popular strength training exercises for any fitness level, and for good reason.
This particular exercise isolates the quadriceps muscle, a powerful muscle in your legs, to help define and strengthen your legs.
Q: Are leg extensions good for building muscle?
If you are looking to focus on strengthening your quads, leg extensions are the perfect solution.
However, they should be implemented as part of a leg workout routine, not the sole exercise you do with hopes of building sculpted leg muscles.
You can’t neglect other exercises like squats, deadlifts, presses, and lunges to only focus on leg extensions.
This will leave you feeling defeated that you aren’t seeing the results you were hoping for.
However, consistent leg extensions will help you, in the long run, to squat and deadlift heavier, because your quads will be strong.
They also help with running and cycling.
Q: What is the best leg extension machine?
After researching the best-reviewed products and most reputable companies available today, we can confidently say the best on the market is the Body-Solid S2LEC Pro Clubline Series II.
There are some phenomenal leg extension machines on this list; so if you aren’t ready to drop the big bucks on the Body-Solid machine we chose, you still have 9 other options to choose from.
Q: How To Choose / Which To Choose?
When selecting a leg extension machine for your home gym, there are a few features and non-negotiable items you should be mindful of.
Generally, the maximum weight capacity listed on these machines includes both the user and added weights.
Make note of this and be sure the machine you choose has the weight capacity you need to get an optimal workout.
If you intend to add weight plates over time, consider this when comparing machines and deciding which is best for you.
The machine you select should have the adjustable features you need, like the incline, decline, and flat bench surface for a variety of leg workouts.
If you’re buying a multipurpose machine that has functionality for curls and other arm exercises, the handlebars should adjust to a comfortable position for your size and strength.
Comfort is key when using a leg extension machine. If it’s uncomfortable, how much will you really use it?
Most machines have thick, durable padding on the seat and foam rollers to protect your legs and back while in use.
Padding is essential to protecting your body during heavy lifts and preventing strain on your lower back.
Comfort also means the machine is suitable for your weight and height (and anyone else who may be using it).
Be sure to read the manufacturer’s guide when you receive your leg extension machine and be aware of how your knees should be aligned when seated. If anything feels uncomfortable or wonky, re-adjust and try again.
To maximize your quad gains and start beefing up your leg muscles, the leg extension machine is a great addition to your home gym or workout routine.
Keep this list in mind when shopping around for a suitable leg extension machine for your workout space.
Here’s a quick recap of the 10 best leg extension machines:
- Body-Solid – S2LEC Pro Clubline Series II
- Body-Solid – ProClubLine (SLE200G2)
- Body-Solid – GCEC340
- XMark – Rotary Leg Extension Machine
- Body-Solid – Powerline PLCE165X
- Marcy – Adjustable Leg Extension Machine
- Merax – Adjustable Leg Extension Machine
- Gold’s Gym – XRS 20 Olympic Bench
- Fitness Reality – Leg Extension Machine
- Weider Platinum – Series Utility Bench