Which are the best lysine supplements?
Lysine is an essential amino acid that is not endogenous to the human body.
In other words, we have to eat it in order to get it.
The best lysine supplements are those that isolate its bioavailable form – L-Lysine.
Lysine is found in many foods such as meat, dairy, fish, and eggs.
Natural sources typically provide our bodies with a sufficient intake of L-lysine.
However, there are a number of benefits that justify considering the addition of lysine to a supplement regimen.
The supplement market is extremely competitive. Many brands offer similar products and claims of efficacy. How do you know which is the best Lysine brand?
That’s why we’re here. We’ve compiled 10 of the best lysine supplements on the web, complete with product descriptions and pros/cons lists.
Here’s our list of the 10 best lysine supplements:
Top 10 Lysine Supplements Compared
Our supplement lists are created by researching the best-reviewed products from the most reputable companies and web sources.
In A Rush? Here’s Our Top Pick:
NOW Foods’ L-Lysine supplement offers a 250-count bottle of 500mg tablets.
We’ve given NOW Foods the top spot for their balancing of tablet quantity, affordability, and NPA A-rated GMP certified manufacturing facilities.
In the supplement game, there are usually thin lines drawn between the quality of similar products.
Determining the best lysine brand is no different. Often, it’s best to consider the supplement company’s track record.
NOW Foods has been in the supplement business since 1968 – family-owned and operated.
Their catalog of products encompasses hundreds of products lab-tested for immune support, heart health, joint support, cognitive health, and more.
Their position, authority, market longevity, and product quality speak volumes – and earn them the title of best lysine brand on our list.
10. Nature Made – L-Lysine
Nature Made is possibly one of the most popular supplement brands in the USA.
Found on a shelf in just about every supermarket from sea to shining sea, most would be familiar with their trademark bottles.
Their widespread prevalence, public track record, and product value (affordability and quantity) make their inclusion on a list of the best lysine supplements a no-brainer.
This particular bottle offers 60 servings of 1000mg capsules.
- Low price point per bottle, and often on sale
- High dose per capsule (1000mg)
- No preservatives and gluten-free
- Midsize to large capsule measuring at around 1 inch lengthwise.
- Relatively small capsule quantity per bottle (60 count)
- Contains a number of manufacturing fillers, such as stearates, dioxides, and glycols (cellulose gel, crospovidone, stearic acid, silicon dioxide, hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, magnesium stearate, polyethylene glycol)
9. Best Naturals – L-Lysine
Another superbrand, Best Naturals, lines the shelves at Wal-Marts, GNC, and Vitamin Shoppes all over.
The level of scrutiny brands like this experience means their products have earned a certain degree of reliability in the public eye.
Further, they have the financial backing to ensure high-grade testing, quality assurance, and vendor evaluation.
In terms of determining the best lysine supplement, you can’t go wrong with a household name like Best Naturals.
- High dose per capsule (1000mg)
- Large capsule quantity per bottle (180 count)
- Very low price point relative to competitors for the number of capsules per bottle
- Non-GMO and vegan
- Contains manufacturing fillers such as stearates, pharmaceutical glazes, and various other additives that may not agree with everyone.
- The lysine pill may be considered “large,” measuring out at nearly an inch lengthwise.
8. Solgar – L-Lysine
Solgar is unique on this list for a couple of reasons: (1) It has been around since 1947, and (2) it bottles its products in amber glass.
The aesthetic adds a kind of appeal that might be lost in the presentation of some of the other best lysine supplements.
The company also assures small-batch practices at their in-house facilities – suggesting a quality-focused manufacturing process for every bottle.
- Amber glass bottle – provides light and temperature protection for lysine capsules
- Each bottle contains 250 L-lysine capsules – the largest quantity of 1000mg capsules on this list.
- Solgar manufactures their products through small-batch processes at in-house facilities.
- Non-GMO and vegan
- 70-year-old company – reliability and longevity
- Similar to other 1000mg tablet brands, they measure around 1 inch. This can be uncomfortable for some.
7. Amazing Nutrition – L-Lysine
Processed with GMP-certified testing protocols, Amazing Nutrition’s lysine formula is as good as any and better than most.
For those seeking value, an Amazing Nutrition bottle contains 180 servings of 1000mg lysine capsules.
That’s over 3 times as many servings as some of its competitors – even on this list.
- Sizeable 1000mg capsule counts at 180 per bottle
- Minimal manufacturing fillers used
- Evaluated by GMP certified testing facilities
- Non-GMO, non-gluten and vegan
- 1000mg pill size may be considered too large for select consumers.
- Cellulose heavy ingredient composition (vegetable cellulose, croscarmellose sodium, vegetable coating, silica, vegetable magnesium stearate, vegetable stearic acid)
6. Superior Labs – L-Lysine
Superior Labs has emphasized the absence of synthetic additives, metals, stearates, dioxides, glycerides, and fillers in their product.
In terms of purity, the Superior Labs formula may indeed be the best lysine supplement available.
Their rice-based capsule formula is created using Nu-Rice, a USDA-certified organic, hypoallergenic, non-GMO, and gluten-free rice bran extract.
Their advertising includes an assurance that consumers may return the product and receive a full refund within 48 hours – no questions asked.
- Lower 500mg dose allows capsules to be smaller than 1000mg variants for easier consumption
- NSF certified production facilities
- Certified organic, non-GMO, no gluten ingredients
- No synthetic additives, metals, stearates, dioxides, glycerides, or fillers
- Somewhat low capsule count per bottle (120 count) when adjusted for 500 mg dose
- One of the more expensive brands, this specific formula offers 60 1000mg servings
5. Thorne Research – L-Lysine
Thorne Research’s lysine formulation is interesting for its inclusion of another amino acid: leucine.
The supplement company wears its extensive testing procedures on its sleeve.
Each supplement undergoes a 4 stage quality control process, with inspections performed during the (1) raw material phase, (2) in-process batch phase, (3) finished product phase, and (4) product stability phase.
With a 30-year record of clean manufacturing practices, minimal manufacturing fillers, and regular association with highly regulated bodies such as Mayo Clinic, Thorne Research’s blend certainly deserves a top 5 spot in any discussion on the best lysine supplements.
- Formula includes leucine – another amino acid that aids lysine in metabolizing fats
- Company has a 30 year history of clean manufacturing practices
- No stearates and minimal manufacturing fillers
- Four rounds of product testing: raw materials, in-process batches, finished products, and product stability testing
- Only 60 500mg capsules per bottle – significantly less than other comparable brands
- Potential inclusion of GMO ingredients
4. Nutricost – L-Lysine
High dose, high quantity, and GMP-certified quality. Offering 250 1000mg servings, Nutricost’s L-Lysine formula stands out for its value and lower price point relative to competitors.
The value alone is worth ranking, but it is also host to near-universally positive reviews.
- Non-GMO and gluten free
- 500 capsules at 500mg each – 250 servings at a 1000mg dose
- GMP compliant production processes
- Gelatin, stearic acid, and a number of other fillers included in production process
3. Pure Encapsulations – L-Lysine
Pure Encapsulations has been producing quality supplements for over three decades.
Their products have been the subject of over 30 clinical studies published by scientific and medical authorities.
On the public end, their lysine formula has maintained a 5 star Amazon rating comprised of thousands of reviews.
- Non-GMO, gluten-free, hypoallergenic
- Company has a 30 year history of supplement development
- Formula includes ascorbyl palmitate, a fat-soluble variant of vitamin C which aids in lysine availability
- 30 Pure Encapsulations product-specific clinical studies published
- Corn derived, and cellulose cap – reviews have suggested rare digestive issues
- Only 90 capsules with 500mg doses per; or 45 servings at a standard 1000mg dose
2. Source Naturals – L-Lysine
Source Naturals boasts a list of wellness, health food, and supplement awards spanning multiple pages across the past couple of decades.
Each of Source Naturals’ products is formulated and manufactured according to their trademarked Bio-Aligned Formula process.
The results are products scientifically optimized for dose and bioavailability.
- Smallish capsules for easy consumption
- Hypoallergenic, non-GMO, and vegan
- Specialized quality standards which optimize bioavailability
- Relatively small capsule count at 500mg per; only 50 servings at a standard 1000mg dose
- Includes a number of manufacturing fillers and stearates
1. NOW Foods – L-Lysine
Our pick for the best lysine supplement – NOW Foods’ L-Lysine blend offers the perfect union of popularity, potency, purity, quality, and value.
At 250 500mg capsules per bottle, you’ll have 125 1000mg servings, one of the best serving-to-cost ratios available.
NOW Foods is one of the only companies on this list that competes with Nature Made and Best Naturals in terms of size and accessibility.
Their efforts have yielded countless awards, involvement in numerous clinical studies, and the title of #1 best lysine brand.
- NPA A-Rated GMP certification
- Non-GMO and vegan
- Thorough testing protocols
- Family-owned business
- Presence of some manufacturing fillers – reviews suggest rare digestion issues related to cellulose-based ingredients
FAQs About Lysine Supplements
Q: What Is Lysine?
It isn’t generated in the body naturally and so must be consumed via external sources.
Most animal products provide adequate quantities of L-Lysine, but supplementation is often recommended for athletes, vegetarians, vegans, and individuals experiencing hair loss, cold sores, variants of anxiety, and more.
Q: What Are The Benefits of Lysine?
Lysine plays critical roles in:
Carnitine production: a mobilizing agent for fatty acid chains into the mitochondria of cells.
This process generates energy for the cells and can contribute to the clearing (or lowering) of cholesterol in the blood.
Calcium absorption: Lysine reduces the amount of calcium excreted from the body, allowing for more efficient uptake into our connective tissues, muscles, and bones.
Managing amino acid intake – including lysine – has been linked to increased bone mineral density and a reduction in the symptoms of osteoporosis.
Q: What Are The Side Effects of Lysine?
Lysine supplements are generally safe for most individuals, even with regular use across an entire year.
However, prolonged over-consumption of lysine can contribute to symptoms of nausea, indigestion, and abdominal pain.
Consult with your doctor or an appropriate medical professional if you have any concerns about the risks of consuming lysine supplements.
Q: How To Choose The Best Lysine Supplement For Me?
The best lysine supplement for you will depend mostly on dietary and ethical factors.
Are you vegan? Vegetarian? Does your digestion agree with cellulose-based products? Would you prefer taking 2-3 small capsules a day or 1 larger tablet?
For you, maybe it simply comes down to how the bottle looks on your supplement shelf.
There are countless reputable and reliable supplement companies offering nearly identical products.
The best lysine brand is whichever one you experience the best results with – which means the one you are most comfortable with and most consistent with.
Adherence and intention are extremely important factors in dietary health.
The best lysine supplements in the world aren’t going to make a difference if you can’t remember to take them or avoid taking them because the tablets are too large.
Q: Should Lysine Be Taken Daily?
Lysine is considered safe when taken daily.
If you are eating a diet heavy in meat, dairy, and eggs, you might consider lowering your supplementation on days where you have a particularly high natural food intake.
Alternatively, if you are an athlete concerned with joint health and tendon repair, or someone attempting to mitigate a cold sore issue, increasing lysine supplementation might be advisable.
Q: Will Lysine Break A Fast?
As an amino acid, lysine stimulates a number of metabolic reactions in the body when consumed.
This means that a fast will almost definitely be broken by lysine intake. However, this impact should probably be taken with a grain of salt.
A single amino acid is likely not going to throw the entire homeostasis of your body – or your fast – off track.
Many of the cognitive health benefits and elements of discipline will stay safely intact.
Q: Is Lysine Safe During Pregnancy?
Lysine is typically understood to be safe for consumption by pregnant individuals.
In fact, there is some evidence to suggest that pregnant persons have an increased need for lysine at certain stages in gestation.
Lysine requirements for late-stage pregnancies appear to increase.
Q: Can Lysine Help With Cold Sores?
Cold sores and variations of the herpes virus propagate through supplies of arginine in the body.
Lysine might be a disruptive agent to the intestinal absorption of arginine. Without arginine, the virus effectively starves.
It appears that lysine supplementation and direct application can not only slow the replication of herpes or cold sores but significantly accelerate the recovery and healing process.
Q: Can Lysine Help With Acne?
Lysine’s role in treating acne is actually pretty intuitive. As stated earlier, lysine helps produce carnitine. Carnitine works as a kind of cleaning unit for fatty acids in the body.
pBy picking these fatty chains up and converting them into energy, there’s less excess fat to be excreted as sebum in the superficial (top) layers of the skin – the stuff that creates oiliness, especially around our faces. Limiting that oiliness can reduce the chance that acne forms.
Additionally, lysine’s impact on collagen formation helps maintain various properties of the skin like durability, elasticity, and regenerative capacity.
Collagen can help improve the way scars heal on the skin, even causing them to fade away entirely. This means acne scars can potentially be reversed with the aid of lysine.
Q: Can Lysine Help With Hair Loss?
Some studies have pointed to lysine as an important factor in the experience of hair loss.
Since collagen is directly involved in the quality and health of hair growth, it makes sense that lysine could positively impact or help negate conditions of hair loss.
Still, experts do not advise targeted supplementation of most anything unless there is a provable deficiency.
In such cases, responsible and measured intake should be prioritized over-consuming excess amounts of a given supplement.
Per our criteria, the products listed here comprise the best lysine supplement line-up available on the market.
Having so many options might seem a bit overwhelming – even with our added guidance. Don’t panic.
Most of the products listed share a number of detail-oriented qualities: non-GMO, hypoallergenic, minimal manufacturing fillers, and vegan ingredients.
Picking out the absolute best lysine supplement is probably less important than making sure you’re supplementing consistently and effectively.
Adherence is the name of the game for dietary health. Furthermore, wellness is holistic.
Use supplements in conjunction with natural foods and an active lifestyle for the best results.
Here’s a quick recap of the 10 best lysine supplements:
- NOW Foods – L-Lysine
- Source Naturals – L-Lysine
- Pure Encapsulations – L-Lysine
- Nutricost – L-Lysine
- Thorne Research – L-Lysine
- Superior Labs – L-Lysine
- Amazing Nutrition – L-Lysine
- Solgar – L-Lysine
- Best Naturals – L-Lysine
- Nature Made – L-Lysine