What are the best bone broths to buy?
Bone broth is made from boiled animal bones and connective tissues, usually from beef or poultry.
These bones are packed full of essential nutrients like collagen protein, calcium, and amino acids.
Hours of boiling extracts the nutrients from the bones for a delicious, nutritious supplement.
Bone broth comes in liquid, powders, or capsule form, and there are so many brands out there to choose from.
To help you narrow it down, we’ve put together a list of the top 10 bone broths based on careful research.
Check out our top picks and embrace the many benefits of bone broth.
The Best Bone Broths Compared
Our supplement lists are created by researching the best-reviewed products from the most reputable companies and web sources.
Here’s our list of the 10 best bone broths:
In A Rush? Here’s Our Top Pick:
10. Left Coast Performance – Grass-Fed Bone Broth Capsules
Left Coast Performance offers grass-fed bone broth gelatin capsules with 2g of collagen types I and II.
The collagen from this organic bone broth supports healthy hair, nails, joints, and digestion.
With 180 capsules in each bottle, you can get good value with a paleo-friendly dietary supplement.
The non-GMO ingredients ensure pure organic bone broth from bovine with no fillers or unhealthy additives.
Sometimes bone broth can have a strong taste, and those who aren’t crazy about the flavor can appreciate the powerful benefits of bone broth in capsule form.
The company says it uses a slow, low-heat process to encapsulate the bone broth for the most nutrients possible.
The capsules expire two years from the manufacturer date listed on the bottle, and with 30 servings per container, you can get decent value and plenty of bone broth benefits in comfortable capsule form.
- Organic, grass-fed bone broth.
- 2g of collagen per serving.
- Supports hair, nail, joint, and digestive health.
- Easy to swallow capsules.
- Dairy-free and gluten-free.
- No artificial ingredients.
- Made in U.S. GMP-certified facility.
- Serving size is six capsules – three capsules twice a day.
- Should be taken with meals.
- 2.95g protein per serving is less than other bone broths.
9. EPIC – Homestyle Savory Chicken Bone Broth
A favorite chicken bone broth for savory soups and stews, EPIC delivers homestyle deliciousness in a handcrafted small batch.
The list of natural ingredients is long with chicken bones, chicken feet, onions, carrots, celery, garlic, and apple cider vinegar.
Sea salt, rosemary, turmeric, lactic acid, and water round out the broth that can be enjoyed on its own or added to flavorful soups and stews.
There are 15g of protein per serving, with just 60 calories and 2g of carbs. EPIC chicken bone broth doesn’t contain any fat or cholesterol either.
This broth is a decent source of potassium with 320mg to help with water retention and blood pressure.
It’s certified gluten-free and approved for paleo and whole 30 diets. Some people drink it cold; otherwise, it can be quickly warmed up for hearty soups.
- 15g of protein per serving.
- Hearty homestyle flavor with veggies and seasonings.
- No added sugars, fat, or cholesterol.
- Good source of potassium – 320mg per serving.
- Can be consumed cold or warm.
- Gluten-free, paleo, and whole 30 approved.
- Just one serving per container.
- 600mg of sodium – 26% of daily value.
8. Best Bone Broth – Bone Broth Concentrate
Known for its natural flavor, this bone broth lives up to its name with a delicious, healthy flavor and 3,28g of protein per serving.
The premium beef bone broth concentrate is 100% pure and sourced from Australian and New Zealand grass-fed and pasture-raised cattle.
Beef leg bone extract and evaporated sea salt make for a tasty supplement that can easily be incorporated into recipes and beverages.
The brand recommends putting two teaspoons into a cup of hot water to make bone broth, and you can always add in spices and vegetables to increase the flavor.
Broths, soups, sauces, and dinner dishes can all benefit from this tasty addition, which supports immunity and digestive health.
The paleo-friendly concentrate has no artificial ingredients and may also promote skin health and joint comfort.
- 100% pure AU or NZ grass-fed beef.
- Supports immunity and healthy digestion.
- Concentrate form is versatile for cooking.
- No artificial ingredients.
- Non-GMO and hormone-free.
- Lower protein content than other broths.
- Concentrate should be mixed with liquid for best results.
7. Left Coast Performance – Bone Broth Powder
In addition to popular bone broth capsules, Left Coast Performance also offers one of the best bone broth powder supplements made from grass-fed beef-bone.
The dietary supplement from bovine contains non-GMO, gut-friendly ingredients with 16g of collagen and 21g of protein per serving.
There are no thickening agents that cause stomach discomfort, just powerful protein powder to give you a boost of energy and immune protection.
One 22g scoop has just 90 calories and is easy to blend with water or soup mixtures. It also tastes good in smoothies for an extra burst of protein.
The manufacturer uses a GMP-facility and a lengthy low-heat simmering process to draw as many nutrients from the beef bones as possible.
The clean protein helps to repair and build tissue, while type I and III collagen support skin, hair, nail, and joint health.
- 41 servings per container.
- 21g of protein, 16g of collagen per serving.
- Only 90 calories per serving.
- No extra carbs or sugars.
- Supports gut health and joints.
- Clean protein repairs tissue.
- Must be blended to avoid foaming.
- 150mg of sodium per serving.
- Potential side effects include rash, skin irritation, and upset stomach.
6. Zammex – Hydrolyzed Bone Broth Protein
Zammex offers grass-fed, pasture-raised beef bone broth protein.
The concentrated, hydrolyzed bone broth is non-GMO, gluten-free, and paleo-friendly.
The 20g of protein supports healthy digestive function, weight management, and strong hair and skin.
There are 85 calories per serving and 270mg of potassium, and 14mg of calcium for a strong nutrient profile that supports bones and joints.
Simply stir one scoop of powder with a beverage or recipe once or twice a day to get the full benefits of nutrient-rich beef bone broth.
Zammex promises 100% natural and pure collagen peptides with no hormones, antibiotics, or preservatives.
Free of artificial flavors and sweeteners, this powder is made in the U.S. and tested in a certified GMP facility.
- Grass-fed bone broth with 20g protein per serving.
- Only 85 calories per serving and 27 servings total.
- 270mg of potassium and 14mg of calcium per serving.
- High in amino acids.
- Suitable for smoothies, protein shakes, and soups.
- Dairy-free and gluten-free.
- No artificial flavors or hormones.
- Contains 150mg of sodium per serving.
- Needs to be mixed well to avoid clumping.
5. Pacific Foods – Organic Bone Broth
Pacific Foods offers a traditional and organic chicken bone sipping broth with 9g of protein per serving.
The tasty ingredient list includes organic chicken, onions, carrots, celery, spices, apple cider vinegar, and rosemary extract for strong antioxidant power.
The non-GMO ingredients are carefully sourced with no artificial flavoring or MSG. The broth is full of pure, natural collagen made from slow-simmered free-range chicken bones for powerful protein.
With 158mg of potassium per serving, Pacific Foods broth supports proper nerve and muscle function and blood pressure.
You can sip the warm broth on its own or add it to recipes for better flavor and just 45 calories per serving.
This bone broth is suitable for paleo and keto diets, and the unsalted mixture has less sodium than other broths, with 90mg per serving.
- USDA organic free-range chicken bones.
- Contains organic veggies and seasonings.
- Gluten and dairy-free.
- No added salt or sugar.
- Recyclable packaging.
- Lower protein content – 9g per serving.
- Once opened, should be refrigerated and used within 7-10 days.
4. Ancient Nutrition – Bone Broth Protein
Ancient Nutrition makes a superfood protein powder with real chicken bone broth and collagen peptides.
The taste is tough to beat with a satisfying natural vanilla flavor and 20g of protein per serving.
It’s free of gluten and dairy and contains natural extracts for joint, skin, and gut support.
This broth also has collagen type II, glucosamine, hyaluronic acid, chondroitin, and 19 amino acids.
Ancient Nutrition says it uses a breakthrough protein formulation for an easy-to-mix powder with 20 servings per container.
You can unlock the full benefits of hydrolyzed collagen with a heaping spoonful added to cold smoothies, shakes, and hot drinks.
The sustainably sourced chicken bone comes from the U.S. and has no growth hormones or chemicals for a healthy, clean protein that fuels the body and keeps muscles and bones strong.
- Delicious taste with natural vanilla flavor.
- Sustainably sourced chicken bone.
- 20g of protein per serving.
- Contains amino acids, potassium, and chondroitin.
- Gluten-free and dairy-free.
- Good for smoothies or mixing into muffins and baked recipes.
- Not certified organic.
- Contains 170mg of sodium per serving.
3. Bare Bones – Bone Broth
Bare Bones offers an instant mix beef bone broth with 10g of protein per serving.
It’s keto and paleo-friendly and perfect for a tasty, nutritious drink on the go.
The rip, mix, and sip packets offer a low-cal refreshment with 50 calories per serving and no sugar.
Each bag comes with 16 servings for an easy daily boost of hydration and energy.
The beef collagen taste is made even better with the addition of baker’s yeast extract, tomato powder, salt, chicory root fiber, apple cider vinegar, guar, garlic powder, and shiitake mushroom powder.
In addition to the soothing spice flavor and healthy protein, Bare Bones contains essential minerals and amino acids to help with appetite control and energy levels.
The brand prides itself on offering the world’s first bone broth beverage.
This grass-fed bone broth mixes with hot water in seconds for a nutrient-packed drink, ideal for intermittent fasting or low-carb diets.
- Grass-fed beef collagen.
- Rich taste with natural spice flavors.
- Portable protein and easy hydration.
- 50 calories per serving and no artificial ingredients.
- Non-GMO, gluten and soy-free.
- 10g of protein per serving.
- 460mg of sodium – 20% daily value.
- Not ideal for large recipes.
2. Kettle & Fire – Bone Broth Variety Pack
Kettle & Fire offers the best organic bone broth with a variety pack that includes mushroom chicken, classic chicken, and beef bone broths.
They are all approved for keto, paleo, and whole 30 diets. The gluten-free broths are high in protein and collagen, with 10g of protein per serving and all-natural ingredients.
The soup heats up within 5 minutes for a quick and delicious meal.
While some broths are made only of beef or chicken bones, Kettle & Fire uses more ingredients to create a complete soup and ready-made lunch or dinner.
The ingredient list includes organic onions, carrots, celery, and parsley, plus apple cider vinegar, black peppercorn, sea salt, bay, thyme, and rosemary extract.
The chicken bones are simmered for 14 hours, and the beef bones take 20 hours to get all the nutrients out.
- Variety pack with three different chicken and beef broths.
- 10g of protein per serving.
- Tasty organic ingredients and seasonings.
- 14-20 hours of simmer time.
- Keto, paleo, and whole 30 approved.
- Only needs five minutes to cook.
- Higher sodium content around 13-14% of daily value.
1. Bonafide Provisions – Chicken Bone Broth
The best chicken bone broth from Bonafide Provisions is handcrafted in small batches for high-quality, nutritious broth.
The liquid is different from other broths as it comes frozen, and it’s easy to add to soups, shakes, or other recipes.
There are no additives needed to maintain freshness, with an organic ingredient list that includes chicken bone broth, onion, apple cider vinegar, garlic, parsley, and sea salt.
USDA organic free-range chicken bones offer a soothing broth free of gluten, sugar, dairy, and MSG.
The bones are slow-simmered for more than 18 hours to unlock powerful nutrients like 10g of protein to provide energy, immune protection, and strong muscles and bones.
Bonafide Provisions also offers beef and turkey bone broth, with all products paleo-friendly and packaged in BPA and EA-free bags.
- 10g of protein per serving.
- USDA organic free-range chicken bones simmered for 18+ hours.
- All organic ingredients including onion, parsley, and garlic.
- More flavorful than other broths.
- Ideal for soups and cooking.
- No preservatives, gluten, dairy, or MSG.
- Chicken taste may not be for everyone.
- Only three servings per container.
- Frozen broth requires defrosting before use.
FAQs About Bone Broth
Here are our answers to the most frequently asked questions about bone broths:
Q: How Healthy Is Bone Broth?
Bone broth is a super healthy source of nutrients, mainly protein and collagen, as well as potassium and essential amino acids.
Q: What Are the Benefits of Drinking Bone Broth?
Bone broth contains valuable nutrients that give you lots of energy and offer natural protection for your bones, joints, hair, skin, and nails.
Bone broth is high in protein, collagen, potassium, and amino acids, which offer natural energy and support healthy digestion and immune system function.
Q: What Are the Side Effects of Bone Broth?
Bone broth is healthy and safe as long as you consume it within the recommended daily amounts.
If you drink too much bone broth, you may overdo it on sodium and get an upset stomach.
Other potential side effects of bone broth include headaches, sweating, and dry mouth, but again these symptoms are quite rare.
Always read the nutrition label before consuming it and consult your doctor with any questions or concerns.
Q: Can You Lose Weight Drinking Bone Broth?
Bone broth may help people lose weight because the high protein content makes the body feel full.
Plus, bone broth is low in calories but high in nutrients, making it a popular snack or meal for those on paleo and keto diets.
When bone broth is consumed regularly as part of a healthy, balanced diet and a dedicated workout routine, it may support weight loss while also providing many health benefits.
Q: What Does Bone Broth Taste Like?
Bone broth flavors vary by brand, but usually, the broth tastes like a milder version of chicken or beef.
Many broths come with extra flavors and spices such as carrot, onion, parsley, garlic, salt, and pepper.
Check out the full ingredient list on the nutrition label and online customer reviews for a better idea of what each bone broth tastes like, or just try it yourself!
Q: Is It Better to Buy Bone Broth or Make It?
While you can make bone broth, the process takes almost a full day of simmering to get enough nutrients out of the bones.
Most people prefer the convenience of buying bone broth that’s ready to consume, whether that be in warm or cold beverages, smoothies, shakes, soups, or other recipes.
Q: What Is the Difference Between Bone Broth and Stock?
Chicken bone broth may sometimes contain meat and meaty bones, while stock is more focused on just the bones.
Generally, broth is lighter and more flavorful, while stock is thicker and takes longer to prepare.
You can use them interchangeably in recipes, with many people preferring the added flavor in bone broth.
Q: Can I Drink Bone Broth Daily?
You can drink bone broth daily to maximize the health benefits, so long as you follow the recommended serving size on the nutrition label.
Not all bone broths are created equal, and some have a smaller serving size than others.
You just don’t want to overdo it and drink excessive amounts of bone broth that could lead to an upset stomach.
Q: Is Bone Broth Bad for Cholesterol?
Bone broth does not have much of an impact on cholesterol, and it’s not bad unless you consume very high amounts.
If you have concerns about your cholesterol and have bone broth every day for an extended period of time, you can ask your doctor for their advice on the best amount of bone broth to drink.
Q: When Is the Best Time to Drink Bone Broth?
You can have bone broth whenever you want, but many people choose to have it as a protein-rich snack in between meals.
Bone broth is filling and provides enough energy to get you through the day until your next meal, whether you have it in a smoothie or just mixed with water.
Q: Is Powdered Bone Broth as Good as Liquid?
Powdered bone broth and liquid broth contain very similar nutrient levels, but it depends on each brand.
Generally, they are both great sources of collagen protein, so you can choose whichever one better suits your lifestyle and diet.
It doesn’t take long to prepare either one; it’s more about what tastes better to you.
Q: Is Bone Broth the Same as Chicken Broth?
Bone broth and chicken broth are nearly the same, except chicken broth may also include meat and meaty bones.
Some people prefer chicken broth for classic dishes like chicken noodle soup, but bone broth is a great alternative.
Thanks to the extra meat, chicken broth has more protein on average than basic bone broth.
Q: Is Bone Broth Concentrate as Good as Bone Broth?
Bone broth concentrate and liquid stock are very similar nutritionally, so either way, you can get lots of benefits from essential nutrients.
Calcium, phosphorous, magnesium, collagen, and essential amino acids are all found in bone broth concentrate and liquid.
You can decide which one you prefer for cooking or making nutritious smoothies.
The daily nutritional value may vary with different bone broth products, so check the label to see how many grams of protein, collagen, potassium, and calcium you get in each serving.
Q: Which Bone Broth to Choose?
The best bone broth to buy depends on whether you prefer capsules, powder, or liquid broth.
Organic bone broth with ample collagen and nutrients offers well-rounded nutrition with real food ingredients.
Look for a bone broth that uses grass-fed, pasture-raised, or free-range bones, with no additives, flavor enhancers, or artificial colors.
Buying bone broth is a great idea if you want to support your joints and digestive system with a delicious and nutritious broth.
Made by boiling beef or chicken bones and connective tissues, bone broth can be added to water, shakes, or smoothies.
It can also be used for soups, gravies, and sauces to boost immune function and beneficial amino acids.
Here’s a quick recap of the 10 best bone broths:
- Bonafide Provisions – Chicken Bone Broth (Best Bone Broth Overall)
- Kettle & Fire – Bone Broth Variety Pack (Best Organic Bone Broth)
- Bare Bones – Bone Broth (Best Beef Bone Broth)
- Ancient Nutrition – Bone Broth Protein (Best Tasting Bone Broth)
- Pacific Foods – Organic Bone Broth (Best Budget Bone Broth)
- Zammex – Hydrolyzed Bone Broth Protein (Best Grass-Fed Bone Broth)
- Left Coast Performance – Bone Broth Powder (Best Bone Broth Powder)
- Best Bone Broth – Bone Broth Concentrate (Best Natural Flavor Bone Broth)
- EPIC – Homestyle Savory Chicken Bone Broth (Best Chicken Bone Broth)
- Left Coast Performance – Grass-Fed Bone Broth Capsules (Best Bone Broth Capsules)