The 10 Best Vitamin K2 Supplements
Which are the best vitamin K2 supplements?
The vitamin ABCs. Let’s review: Vitamin A supports our immune systems and vision.
B vitamins are popular for their impact on energy metabolism.
Vitamin C and D play massive roles in soft tissue and bone health, in addition to organ function.
But what about the vitamins further down the alphabet?
For instance, you’re more likely to encounter information on the best vitamin B12 or D3 product line than the best vitamin K2 supplement options. Why?
A major factor is that vitamin K is not typically recommended as a dietary supplement.
Vitamin K is implemented more often to address instances of thinned blood or hemorrhaging, where it helps facilitate controlled clotting.
Alternatively, a growing body of research has suggested vitamin K can stimulate calcium storage, possibly improving bone, skeletal muscle, and cardiovascular health.
Below, we’ll look at our rankings for the best K2 (vitamin K’s most bioavailable form) supplements on the market.
Here’s our list of the 10 best vitamin K2 supplements:
Top 10 Vitamin K2 Supplements Compared
Our supplement lists are created by researching the best-reviewed products from the most reputable companies and web sources.
In A Rush? Here’s Our Top Pick:
Sports Research Vitamin K2 with Coconut Oil marks the top of our list.
This product is verified as non-GMO, soy-free, and vegan. Sports Research has implemented a patented K2 variant – MK7 – that boasts a rate of absorption ten-fold that of standard K1 supplements.
Their custom formulation includes coconut oil to allow proper digestion of the fat-soluble K2 component.
These bottles contain 60 softgel capsules at 100 micrograms (mcg) each – providing 60 servings.
Sports Research has been in the supplement and fitness equipment game since 1980.
The company has maintained an A+ accreditation rating with the Better Business Bureau and is established in over 50 countries.
As an added guarantee, Sports Research offers a 90-day any-reason return policy on their products.
Quality, value, and proven trust – simply put, Sports Research offers the best K2 supplement out there.
10. NatureBell – Advanced Vitamin K2
NatureBell’s Vitamin K2 supplement comes stocked with 200 capsules at a 200mcg dose each – or 250% of vitamin K’s standard daily value.
This formula joins MK4 and MK7 K2 variants – highly bio-active forms of vitamin K – to ensure rapid absorption in the body.
NatureBell’s products are non-GMO, gluten-free, dairy-free, sugar-free, and allergen-free.
Products are manufactured in the United States (California) and are tested by an impartial, 3rd-party lab.
- Large capsule count at 200 capsules per bottle
- Reasonable 200mcg dose per capsule, 250% of the standard daily value (competitors can sometimes offer 2000%+ servings, leaving their safety for highly regular use in question)
- Multi-form vitamin K – MK4 and MK7 – for greater sustain in the blood and faster absorption in the body
- Non-GMO, gluten-free, dairy-free, sugar-free, allergen-free.
- 3rd party tested and validated ingredients
- Manufacturing fillers including stearates and silicon dioxide
9. Doctors Best – Natural Vitamin K2
Doctors Best Natural Vitamin K2 leverages a menaquinone-7 (MK7) based vitamin K formula.
MK7 is an extremely bio-active variant of vitamin K that is absorbed quicker and kept in the body longer than other variations.
Each bottle offers 60 servings at 100mcg doses – a 60 day supply of 83% DV capsules.
The product is non-GMO, vegan, gluten-free, and soy-free.
- Non-GMO, vegan, gluten-free, soy-free
- 100mcg dose per serving is generally considered safe for frequent use
- MK7 based formula – held longer in the blood for prolonged (and thereby increased) absorption
- Somewhat low capsule count at 60 per bottle
- Some manufacturing fillers, including stearates
8. Zhou Nutrition – Vitamin K2 (MK7) with D3
Zhou Nutrition offers a unique vitamin K and D blend comprised of their biologically active MK7 and D3 forms.
Vitamin K and D operate synergistically to both absorb and transport calcium throughout the body.
Each bottle contains 60 servings of 100mcg K2 and 125mcg (5000iu) D3. Their products are manufactured according to good manufacturing practices within the US (Utah).
- MK7 and D3 formula blend – synergistic relationship helps facilitate calcium absorption and delivery within the body
- MK7 is one of the most biologically active forms of vitamin K – remains in the bloodstream longer than other variants, increasing overall absorption
- Inclusion of all-in-one vitamin D and K capsule increases product value
- GMP-adherent manufacturing practices
- US production facility
- Vegetarian formula
- Includes rice flour and associated derivatives
- Relatively low capsule count at 60 per bottle
7. Nature Made – Vitamin K2
Put plainly, Nature Made is one of the premier household names in the supplement industry.
They service one of the largest bases of consumers in the world, being stocked in nearly all mainstream markets and supermarkets.
This market prevalence serves to fund state-of-the-art research, quality assurance practices, and testing protocols.
This particular formula offers 30 servings at 100mcg of MK7 form vitamin K, verified by the USP testing organization.
- Reasonable 100mcg servings – manageable for daily intake
- MK7 form vitamin K – remains in the body the longest for greater overall absorption
- USP tested ingredients
- Relatively low capsule count at only 30 servings per bottle
- Contains soy and soy-based elements – not a first choice for some consumers
- Contains a number of manufacturing fillers
6. Life Extension – Super K
Life Extension’s Vitamin K2 capsules provide a hefty dose at 2600mcg – 2167% of the standard daily value – including 1500mcg K1, 1000mcg MK4, and 100mcg MK7 vitamin K variants.
MK4 and MK7 are sustained in the body for longer and absorbed faster than alternatives.
Life Extension has produced high-grade supplement formulas and scientific testing protocols for 40 years.
Their products are associated only with ingredients validated through relevant studies.
These ingredients are non-GMO, gluten-free, and certifiably produced in the USA.Pros
- Multi-variant vitamin K formula including K1, MK4, and MK7 for thorough uptake
- Life Selection has been involved in research and product development for over 40 years
- All products and ingredients are derived from the exact conditions of associated scientific studies
- Non-GMO, gluten-free, and manufactured in the US
- Some manufacturing fillers included
- High dose may not be optimal for frequent, regular use
5. Solgar – Vitamin K2
Solgar is one of the most senior supplement companies on the market, having been around since the 1940s.
As a nod to their legacy and unique longevity, they still sell their supplements in antique-looking amber glass bottles.
Their Vitamin K2 line is no different. They use the highly potent MK7 formulation for their K2 variant.
The product is non-GMO, gluten-free, wheat-free, and sugar-free.
Solgar utilizes a small-batch processing procedure for all supplement manufacturing, emphasizing quality over volume.
Each bottle contains 50 100mcg servings – somewhat low compared to its competitors, but the trust and quality Solgar offers is unquestioned.
- Small-batch processing for each product line ensures thorough inspections and quality standards
- 100mcg MK7-variant dose size
- Non-GMO and vegan
- Amber glass bottle containers help maintain the integrity of capsules during storage
- Solgar has been in business for over 70 years – longevity that can be trusted
- Relatively low supply at 50 capsules per bottle
- Some stearates included as manufacturing fillers
4. Nutricost – Vitamin K2
Nutricost’s Vitamin K2 (MK4) formula offers a massive 240 capsule (100mcg) supply.
Menaquinone-4, MK4, is Nutricost’s vitamin K variant of choice. MK4 is biologically active and supports rapid solubility and uptake in the body.
The product is non-GMO, gluten-free, and is manufactured in a GMP compliant, FDA-approved facility.
- Large capsule supply per bottle at a 240 count
- 100mcg serving size – reasonable for more regular use at only 83% of the standard daily value
- Highly bioavailable K2 variant, MK4
- Non-GMO, gluten-free
- Produced in a GMP compliant, FDA-registered facility
- Rice flour, some stearates, and other manufacturing fillers included with the ingredients
3. Now Foods – Vitamin K-2
Since 1968, Now Foods has been a massive player in the supplement industry.
Alongside mainstream giants like Nature Made and Best Naturals, Now can be found on shelves just about anywhere in the US, and over 70 other countries.
Their Vitamin K2 formula includes a biologically active form of K2 known as menaquinone-4 or MK4. All their K2 supplements are vegan, allergen-free, non-GMO, soy-free, and sugar-free.
Now Foods’ quality standards are verified according to their NPA A-rated GMP certification.
- MK4 K2 variant formula to bolster bioavailability and absorption in the body
- Vegan, allergen-free, non-GMO, soy-free, sugar-free
- NPA A-rated GMP certified testing protocols and quality standards
- Family-owned business for over 50 years with a presence in over 70 countries
- 100mcg doses – 83% of the daily value. Competitors sometimes offer massive doses not recommended for regular use.
- Presence of various manufacturing fillers (e.g., silicon dioxide)
2. Thorne Research – 3-K Complete
Thorne Research makes appearances on many top supplement lists, and for a good reason.
They’ve led the supplement industry in manufacturing and product testing initiatives for 30 years.
Their reputation has landed them numerous awards and collaborative research opportunities with the Mayo Clinic.
- Thorne Research is well regarded for 30 years of clean manufacturing practices
- The company enacts 4 rounds of product testing at raw material, in-process batching, finished product, and product stability phases
- Very few manufacturing fillers
- Includes 3 variants of vitamin K (K1, MK7-K2, MK4-K2) for improved absorption
- Massive dose per serving – 6090mcg, or 5075% of the standard daily value for vitamin K. May not always be advisable for frequent, regular use.
1. Sports Research – Vitamin K2 with Coconut Oil
40 years in the industry, an A+ rating by the Better Business Bureau, and a custom formula utilizing a proprietary form of K2 for rapid uptake in the body – just a few of the reasons Sports Research’s Vitamin K2 with Coconut Oil product tops our list as the best K2 supplement.
The brand checks all the markers: non-GMO, non-soy, vegan, a 90-day return policy, balanced servings, and small capsule sizes.
- Sports Research has been in business since 1980 – well established across 50 countries
- Company maintains an A+ accreditation with the Better Business Bureau
- MK7 form of K2 – 10X absorption rate over vitamin K1 variants
- Non-GMO, non-soy, vegan, and small, easily swallowable capsules
- 100mcg doses – a bit over 80% of the daily value. Competitors often offer massive doses that are not always advisable.
- Coconut oil may drive away consumers with tree nut allergies
- Tapioca starch based capsule may constitute another allergen risk
FAQs About Vitamin K2 Supplements
Q: What Is Vitamin K2?
Vitamin K2 is a sub-classification within a family of compounds related to vitamin K known as menaquinones.
For comparison, K1 vitamins – another popular form of vitamin K – are known as phylloquinones.
K2 is a fat-soluble molecule mostly acknowledged for its role as a coenzyme in the synthesis of proteins responsible for blood clotting and tissue metabolism (such as bone).
Anti-coagulant medications often work by antagonizing vitamin K in the bloodstream.
A number of vitamin K-dependent proteins have been observed in processes of bone mineralization and decalcification – insinuating there may be a relationship between vitamin K supplementation and improved bone health.
Q: What Does Vitamin K2 Do?
Vitamin K2 interacts with specialized enzymatic systems to generate proteins that initiate hemostasis (blood clotting), bone mineralization, calcium absorption, and calcium transportation.
Q: What Are The Benefits Of Vitamin K2?
The primary use of vitamin K2 is in coagulant applications – namely, reducing blood flow for those experiencing excessive bleeding (internal or otherwise).
It has been suggested that vitamin K2 may foster accelerated production of collagen and bone mineralization.
These effects would have drastic implications for those experiencing fractured or broken bones, osteoporosis, or a range of skin conditions.
Q: What Are The Side Effects Of Vitamin K2?
In general, side effects are not experienced when vitamin K2 is taken within recommended values.
However, in rare cases, individuals have reported a broad range of side effect symptoms, including muscle stiffness, lethargy, diarrhea, paleness, yellowed eyes, and decreased appetite.
Q: What Foods Are High In Vitamin K2?
Vitamin K2 is found in most dark green leafy vegetables and a variety of dairy and meat products. Consider the following items if you’d like to get more K2 through natural sources:
- Collard Greens
- Beef Liver
- Egg Yolks
Q: Is too much vitamin K2 bad for you?
If you are experiencing health complications or have a history of medical conditions, it’s important that you review supplement options with your medical professional.
On its own, vitamin K2 does not seem to be detrimental, even when taken in large doses.
Q: How Much Vitamin K2 should I take daily?
The standard recommended dose is around 120mcg for adult men and 90mcg for adult women, and between 30 to 60mcg for children.
Q: Should I Take A Vitamin K2 Supplement?
The foods listed above contain ample amounts of vitamin K.
Most Americans are not threatened by a vitamin K deficiency.
However, if your diet is regularly limited, you might find getting adequate vitamin K to be a more difficult task.
More optimistically, vitamin K2 is linked with a number of studies correlating improvements in cognitive health, heart health, and bone health to blood vitamin K levels.
Those seeking optimized blood nutrient levels might benefit from additional vitamin K supplementation.
Q: Should You Take Vitamin K2 And D3 Together?
Zhou Nutrition’s product offers K2 and D3 together on the basis that they act synergistically.
While such claims are not verified by the FDA, the synergistic relationship between vitamin K and vitamin D is well documented in research.
In fact, joint supplementation of the two vitamins seems to elicit a more potent overall effect on the body.
Q: Is Vitamin K2 Worth Taking?
This question is entirely up to you, the reader, based on your particular supplementation strategy and personal health.
Vitamin supplementation is heavily dependent on adherence, consistency, and compatibility with lifestyle habits – diet, exercise, general health, and so on.
Remember: not even the best vitamin K2 supplement is going to turn you into a superhuman.
There are growing areas of research that indicate vitamin K may have significant use in stimulating bone metabolism, collagen repair, cognitive function, and heart health – these are the things that will determine if vitamin K2 is worth taking for you.
Our list considers a number of factors – quality assurance standards, production methods, market predominance, dose-per-serving, and the scientific rigor behind each product line.
That said, all 10 formulas listed here can be safely referred to as some of the best K2 supplements on the market. Weigh your options, and pick with confidence.
Most importantly – especially when considering which serving size to go with – consult with a medical professional before engaging in regular use of vitamin K.
The vitamin’s name is derived from the Danish word for coagulation, Koagulation, for its potent clotting effects.
If you are someone experiencing a number of related risk factors, use caution before jumping into regular supplementation of vitamin K.
Here’s a quick recap of the 10 best Vitamin K2 supplements:
- Sports Research – Vitamin K2 with Coconut Oil (Best All-Around Choice)
- Thorne Research – 3-K Complete (Best High Dose Option)
- Now Foods – Vitamin K-2 (Best Vegan Option)
- Nutricost – Vitamin K2
- Solgar – Vitamin K2
- Life Extension – Super K (Best Tri-Form Vitamin K Formula)
- Nature Made – Vitamin K2
- Zhou Nutrition – Vitamin K2 (MK7) with D3 (Best Multi-Vitamin Formula)
- Doctors Best – Natural Vitamin K2
- NatureBell – Advanced Vitamin K2
What’s your favorite vitamin K2 supplement? Leave a comment below.
SEARCH THE SITE