Which are the best selenium supplements on the market?
Selenium is a mineral found naturally in soil, water, and select foods.
Selenium is only needed in small amounts, but it does support thyroid function for healthy weight management or weight loss. This mineral also blocks free-radical cell damage.
Most people get adequate amounts of selenium from foods like meat, fish, and eggs.
But if you don’t get enough of this protein or your doctor confirms a selenium deficiency, the best form of selenium is a great addition to your daily routine.
Luckily, we’ve taken the guesswork out of selecting selenium capsules and liquid supplements by rounding up the top 10 options available today.
Check out our top picks and the full list of the 10 best selenium supplements.
Top 10 Selenium Supplements Compared
Our supplement lists are created by researching the best-reviewed products from the most reputable companies and web sources.
In A Rush? Here’s Our Top Pick:
10. Solaray – Selenium
Solaray selenium supplements come in vegetable cellulose capsules that are easy to swallow.
As a trusted manufacturer since 1973, Solaray is known for its affordable range of herbal blend supplements, including 200 mcg selenium capsules.
The no-yeast capsules are non-GMO and vegan with a high absorption formula.
Solaray promotes selenium capsules as a way to boost the immune system and thyroid function.
The essential trace mineral is a powerful antioxidant for natural cell support.
The vegan formula is allergen-friendly without corn, soy, and milk. Solaray supplements are lab-verified for purity and come in 90 ct. bottles.
- Contains L-selenomethionine for high absorption.
- Provides strong antioxidant support.
- Vegan, non-GMO, and tested for purity.
- Gluten-free with no yeast, corn, soy, or milk.
- One a day with water or food.
- The dosage isn’t as high as some other capsules.
- Not ideal for those with sensitivity or allergy to magnesium stearate.
9. Nature’s Way – Selenium
Nature’s Way has been making dietary supplements since 1969, including gelatin selenium supplements.
These 200 mcg cellulose capsules are promoted as powerful antioxidants with L-selenomethionine to protect the immune system and support healthy thyroid function.
They are 100 selenium capsules in each Nature’s Way bottle, which are tested to meet high-quality standards.
The capsules are small enough to swallow comfortably and are suitable for vegetarians and gluten-free diets.
There’s no salt, sugar, yeast, soy, wheat, dairy, or artificial preservatives in these natural supplements either.
- Contains 364% of the daily value for a big mineral boost.
- Vegetarian and gluten-free.
- No preservatives or artificial flavoring.
- One capsule a day is preferred.
- Concentrated formula may have a slight smell when opened.
- It contains chelated minerals, which may not be suitable for pregnancy and breastfeeding.
8. Go Nutrients – Selenium
Like many other supplements, there is a liquid form in addition to popular capsules. Go Nutrients delivers an exciting immune boost in a small but mighty 1 oz. bottle.
You can get a lot out of the 30 ml. bottle, with six drops recommended per daily serving and 100 servings total in the bottle.
The 200 mcg liquid selenium supplement is yeast-free and promoted as a great way to improve thyroid health, support the immune system, and fight free radicals.
It has 364% of the daily value per serving, so the liquid supplement allows you to adjust how much selenium you’re taking.
If you eat a decent amount of meat and fish, but you still want to supplement your selenium intake without going overboard, liquid drops are a smart choice.
- Good alternative for those who struggle with swallowing capsules.
- Stringent potency testing ensures product quality.
- Adjust dosage as needed if you want more or less selenium.
- Non-capsule form has a stronger, more potent taste.
- Shelf life – liquid supplements may expire if you don’t use them regularly.
7. Life Extension – Super Selenium Complex
The main perk of super selenium complex supplements from Life Extension is the impressive antioxidant strength.
This brand combines several mineral forms, pairing yeast-free selenomethionine with vitamin E to increase immune-boosting powers.
When you purchase Life Extension selenium supplements, you can rest assured the manufacturing facility and process passed a third-party inspection to ensure the best quality.
The company promotes its supplements as the most advanced form of selenium that protects against oxidative damage and encourages healthy thyroid function.
- Vegetarian-friendly with antioxidant, aging, and thyroid support.
- Added vitamin E enhances antioxidant performance.
- Reliable manufacturing process in compliance with FDA and USDA.
- Not pure selenium, features vitamin E complex.
- Silica ingredient in capsules may cause irritation/allergic reactions in some people.
6. Nutricost – Selenium
Nutricost selenium capsules offer a great bang for your buck, with 240 capsules in each bottle.
The 200 mcg capsules are vegetarian, gluten-free, and non-GMO, plus they have a good reputation for impressive absorption.
The 100% natural formula produces a chelated selenium form that’s yeast-free and third-party tested for product purity.
These selenomethionine capsules allow the body to quickly absorb many necessary minerals that benefit the overall immune system.
Many adults trust Nutricost selenium capsules because they are made in a GMP-compliant and FDA-registered facility.
- 370% daily value of selenium.
- Vegetarian, yeast-free, and gluten-free.
- Natural ingredients include selenium, rice flour, and hypromellose.
- Transparency in product quality testing and ingredients.
- Not as ideal for those trying to limit cellulose and carrageenan intake.
5. Thorne Research – Selenomethionine
L-selenomethionine capsules from Thorne Research contain 364% of the daily selenium content.
The manufacturer states it has been regularly selected by medical professionals and professional sports teams.
Thorne is also the only supplement company collaborating with Mayo Clinic on health and wellness research. Additionally, the company partners with 11 U.S. Olympic teams.
These supplements are suitable for most diets with no gluten, tree nuts, eggs, peanuts, yeast, soy, dairy, fish, or shellfish.
Not only are they allergen-friendly, but they always undergo rigorous quality testing to ensure they deliver a high level of thyroid support and antioxidants.
- High selenium concentration – 364% daily intake.
- Vegetarian capsules with no additives.
- Supports healthy thyroid function.
- Extensive vetting of ingredients with 40 clinical trials.
- Smaller bottles – 60 capsules each.
- Potential side effects include nausea and skin rashes.
4. Pure Encapsulations – Selenium
Every 60 ct. bottle of Pure Encapsulations selenium capsules is independently tested to ensure the purest and most potent ingredients.
The reputable manufacturer promises a “Pure Difference,” meaning there are no eggs, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat, or gluten in their supplements.
Their formulas are also free from artificial flavors, colors, sweeteners, shellacs, coatings, and unnecessary binders or preservatives.
The 200 mcg capsules are exclusively made with raw ingredients, producing a high-quality and safe supplement for a 364% daily intake of selenium.
Healthy blood flow, better immune health, and antioxidant support are some of the promoted benefits of selenium supplements from Pure Encapsulations.
- Made in GMP facility with premium raw ingredients.
- Vegetarian and hypoallergenic.
- No genetically modified ingredients.
- Independent product quality reviews for trusted transparency.
- May have a strong odor.
3. Bronson – Selenium
Bronson selenium supplements are amino acid chelates that are recognized for their fast absorption and lab-tested purity.
Bronson promises vegan capsules produced in a GMP-certified factory.
The 200 mcg non-GMO capsules offer 364% of the daily selenium requirements, making them a good solution for someone noticeably deficient in selenium and essential minerals.
There is no gluten or soy in the Bronson vegetarian selenium capsules, which are small enough to swallow easily once a day with meals and come in 250 ct. bottles.
The manufacturer guarantees that all capsules are tested at its New York facility to ensure the supplements adequately support the immune system, thyroid, heart, and metabolism.
- Attractive amino acid chelate form for high absorption.
- Supports healthy metabolism for men and women.
- High selenium content – 364% daily value.
- Non-GMO, no gluten or soy.
- Lab-tested for purity in GMP-certified production center.
- Do contain silicon dioxide and cellulose, which some people may want to limit.
2. NOW Foods – Selenium
Highly-rated NOW Foods selenium supplements are known for their terrific value with 180 vegetable capsules in each bottle.
They contain methionine, an essential sulfur amino acid, to deliver strong health benefits like antioxidants that heal damaged cells and boost metabolism.
NOW Foods recommends you take one or even two capsules a day to boost overall immune health and support healthy blood flow.
The selenomethionine formula offers excellent absorption, so selenium capsules from NOW Foods are often recommended for those with selenium deficiencies.
Plus, there’s no aspartame, artificial sweeteners, or unlisted allergens to worry about. The capsules contain only selenium, hypromellose, rice four, and stearic acid.
- 286% daily value of selenium.
- Vegan, yeast-free, and non-GMO.
- Easy swallowing with smaller capsule size.
- May not be suitable for pregnancy or breastfeeding.
- Nausea is possible so take with food.
1. Zhou Nutrition – Selenium
Finally, let’s introduce the best selenium supplement brand: Zhou Nutrition.
The trusted manufacturer markets these 200 mcg vegetable capsules with selenomethionine as excellent support for thyroid, prostate, and heart health.
With no yeast, gluten, soy, milk, wheat, egg, or fish, selenium supplements from Zhou Nutrition are allergen-friendly for most people.
The high absorption ability and antioxidant levels break down peroxides that damage tissues and cause inflammation.
Zhou Nutrition selenium capsules come in affordable 100 ct. bottles, offering high-quality supplements at a great value.
The company promises to use good manufacturing practices and the highest-quality ingredients in every batch, with rigorous U.S. lab testing for product quality control.
- Essential micronutrient for men and women.
- Contains 286% daily value of selenium.
- Strong absorption with selenomethionine capsules.
- One-a-day capsules are easy to swallow.
- Yeast-free, lab-verified supplements.
- Free of common allergens like soy, milk, wheat, egg, and fish.
- Some users report a slight odor.
FAQs About Selenium Supplements
Q: What Is Selenium?
Selenium is a trace element and essential mineral that plays a crucial role in DNA synthesis, thyroid hormone metabolism, and antioxidant protection.
Selenium naturally occurs in many foods, most notably muscle/organ meats, seafood, and Brazil nuts. Some grain and dairy products also contain selenium.
Selenium supplements come in handy when people don’t have enough selenium in their daily diet or wish to boost their mineral intake further.
Q: What Are The Benefits of Selenium Supplements?
Essential vitamins and minerals like selenium produce health benefits such as improved thyroid function and immune system support.
A healthy thyroid helps you burn fat and manage weight effectively, and the best brand of selenium supplements delivers a high enough dosage to provide a big boost in antioxidants.
These antioxidants can protect cells from free radicals that cause heart disease and cancer.
Q: What Are The Side Effects of Selenium Supplements?
The good news about taking selenium supplements is that there aren’t many recorded side effects.
Some brands warn of the possible risks of nausea and skin irritation, but these side effects are quite rare.
However, remember that you should avoid anything more than 400 mcg of selenium a day. That’s the maximum safe amount for adults.
If you take significantly more selenium than recommended, you run the risk of diarrhea, nervous system problems, breathing difficulties, and tremors.
Very rare cases of extremely high selenium levels have led to heart attacks and heart/kidney failure.
Q: Who Should Take Selenium Supplements?
People of all ages may benefit from selenium supplements when advised by a healthcare professional. Children should take much smaller amounts than adults.
According to the National Institutes of Health, the daily maximums for selenium intake across food and supplements are:
- Birth – 6 months: 45 mcg
- Infants 7-12 months: 60 mcg
- Toddlers 1-3 years: 90 mcg
- School-aged children 4-8 years: 150 mcg
- Adolescents 9-13 years: 280 mcg
- Teenagers 14-18 years: 400 mcg
- Adults: 400 mcg
Check the product label and consult with a healthcare professional before giving selenium supplements to kids.
Q: Is It Safe To Take Daily Selenium Supplements?
Yes, if you follow the recommended dosage and daily intake requirements.
Just be mindful of taking selenium supplements long-term, especially if they are around 300-400% of the daily value.
You may be at risk of selenium toxicity if you take too much and are also eating a lot of selenium-rich foods.
Q: How Do You Know If You Have A Selenium Deficiency?
As many as one billion people around the globe have a selenium deficiency, which may result in muscle fatigue, mental fog, hair loss, and a weakened immune system.
More serious issues linked to selenium deficiencies include infertility, cognitive decline, and cardiovascular disease.
Doctors may ask about your diet and current health symptoms to see if you may have a selenium deficiency.
Q: Does Selenium Help You Sleep?
Selenium may have a positive impact on your ability to fall asleep.
While doctors are still researching selenium and its impact on sleep, one nutrition study indicated that selenium was linked with a 20% lower likelihood of sleeping problems.
Selenium supports a healthy immune system which may generally help you feel better and avoid sickness that could disrupt your sleep.
Q: Can You Take Selenium With Other Vitamins/Minerals?
However, selenium supplements should be avoided if you’re taking blood thinners.
If you are taking medication to lower your cholesterol or you have any concerns about other vitamins/supplements you take, just ask your doctor.
That’s because some drugs may decrease the effectiveness of selenium supplements.
Q: Which Selenium Supplement Should I Choose?
To find the best form of selenium for you, it’s important to think about how much of this essential mineral you need, and how you are most comfortable taking it.
Selenomethionine is widely regarded as the best form for absorption, followed closely behind by L-selenomethionine.
You can check the daily value percentage on the bottle to get a better idea of how potent the supplement is and how that fits into your diet.
You have the choice of capsules or liquid, with both options delivering very similar results in terms of daily intake and overall mineral content.
If you are comfortable swallowing capsules, you have a wider variety to choose from, but liquid supplements work well, too, especially when you want more flexibility to adjust the dosage.
When looking at selenium supplements, keep in mind that some forms are easier to absorb than others, and some brands may contain food allergens.
A bit of careful research on the best capsule or liquid supplements can go a long way in setting you up for success with more selenium in your diet!
Here’s a quick recap of the 10 best selenium supplements:
- Zhou Nutrition – Selenium
- NOW Foods – Selenium
- Bronson – Selenium
- Pure Encapsulations – Selenium
- Thorne Research – Selenomethionine
- Nutricost – Selenium
- Life Extension – Super Selenium Complex
- Go Nutrients – Selenium
- Nature’s Way – Selenium
- Solaray – Selenium