What are the best thyroid supplements?
Thyroid supplements are used for better thyroid function and hormone production, which in turn helps maintain proper energy levels throughout the day.
People with thyroid issues may experience weight gain, muscle weakness, and trouble sleeping, among other symptoms.
That’s why doctors will often recommend prescription medications for certain thyroid disorders.
Natural thyroid supplements can help offset these adverse effects of poor thyroid function, restoring healthy hormone levels and improving overall health.
There are a lot of supplements to choose from if you want optimal thyroid function, so we wanted to make it easier to find the best thyroid support supplement for you.
Check out our list of the top thyroid dietary supplements to consider for your overall health and wellbeing.
The Best Thyroid Supplements
Our supplement lists are created by researching the best-reviewed products from the most reputable companies and web sources.
Here’s our list of the 10 best thyroid supplements:
In A Rush? Here’s Our Top Pick:
10. Gaia Herbs – Thyroid Support
Gaia Herbs thyroid supplements offer impressive support to improve thyroid function for a healthier metabolic balance, higher energy levels, and better stress response.
In addition to the quality thyroid function support, these supplements help with hormone regulation to assist in weight management and cardiovascular health.
Two capsules per serving give you 100mcg of iodine, 80mg of ashwagandha root extract, and 630mg of the proprietary extract blend made from L-tyrosine, Schisandra berry, and coleus forskholii.
Something else that’s great about Gaia Herbs is that their non-GMO thyroid capsules are made at the company’s certified organic farm without gluten, dairy, soy, meat, yeast, peanuts, sesame, shellfish, or eggs.
- Vegan supplements aid thyroid function with natural kelp and iodine
- Supports healthy metabolic balance and stress response
- Good value with 60 servings per container, more than many other brands
- Passed microbial and heavy metal testing
- Free from dairy, gluten, and soy
- Proprietary extract blend doesn’t tell you exactly how much there is of each ingredient
9. Go Nutrients – Thyroid Edge
Thyroid Edge is a liquid supplement from Go Nutrients, carefully formulated to support thyroid function with a few herbal extracts that go a long way in promoting healthier thyroid activity.
A 1/4 tsp. serving has 1.23mL of a potent prop blend, including stinging nettle leaf, horsetail, kelp, bladderwrack, and sage leaf.
Suitable for men and women, these liquid drops are convenient and more comfortable than swallowing large capsules.
It’s also highly absorbable with faster effects than capsules that take time to break down and may contain fillers or binders.
- 48 liquid servings per bottle to help thyroid function
- Helps those with underactive thyroid lose weight
- Speeds up metabolism and minimizes sluggishness
- Can improve skin and help with hair loss
- Gluten, soy, and dairy-free
- Specific nutrient value unclear with the proprietary blend
8. VitaStrength – Thyroid Support
VitaStrength offers complete formula supplements to support thyroid function, blood circulation, and metabolism.
It uses natural ingredients to stimulate thyroid hormones and increase energy levels with a careful blend of bladderwrack, kelp, and iodine.
A serving of two capsules offers 300mg of L-tyrosine, 240mg of Schisandra powder, and 200mcg of selenium.
That’s not to mention the 150mcg of iodine and 100mcg of vitamin B to help reenergize the body and stay healthy even on the busiest days.
- Full absorption formula contains natural ingredients like kelp and iodine
- Complete support for optimal thyroid performance, metabolism, and blood flow
- Includes Schisandra, bladderwrack, and cayenne pepper powder
- Contains zinc, copper, selenium, and manganese
- Boosts energy levels naturally
- Contains soy and shellfish
7. Pure Encapsulations – Thyroid Support Complex
If you’re experiencing poor thyroid function, Pure Encapsulations – Thyroid Support Complex is a good choice as it’s rich in antioxidants and pure ingredients you can trust.
These hypoallergenic supplements encourage optimal thyroid performance and come in a 120-capsule bottle for 60 servings.
The careful formula assists in the production of thyroid hormones by combining herbal extracts like ashwagandha and turmeric with important minerals such as selenium and zinc.
Another advantage of this thyroid supplement from Pure Encapsulations is the 750mcg of vitamin A, 150mg of vitamin C, and 150mcg of iodine per serving.
- Hypoallergenic thyroid support complex with 60 servings per bottle
- Premium potent ingredients include iodine, zinc, and selenium
- Good source of L-tyrosine, ashwagandha, and turmeric
- Free radical defense with vitamins A and C
- No artificial preservatives or flavors
- Some users say it has a strong odor
6. NOW Foods – Thyroid Energy
Thyroid medications and supplements are designed to regulate thyroid function and boost energy levels, and NOW Foods has an impressive reputation for naturally giving you more energy.
Taking thyroid supplements from NOW Foods not only supports thyroid function but also synthesizes thyroid secretions through careful doses of iodine and tyrosine.
Ayurvedic herbal extracts like guggul and ashwagandha offer nutritional support for a healthy metabolism, ensuring the right level of thyroid hormones to give you balanced energy throughout the day.
This well-known thyroid supplement brand makes small, easy-to-swallow capsules with 2mg of vitamin B6, 225mcg of iodine, 1,000mg of L-tyrosine, and 50mcg of selenium per serving.
- L-tyrosine and iodine support thyroid function
- Ashwagandha root helps with healthy metabolism and energy
- Includes zinc, copper, and selenium
- Non-GMO, kosher, and gluten-free
- 45 servings per container
- May cause nausea
5. WellPath – Soothe
WellPath Soothe supplements make sure your thyroid functions smoothly with a 2-in-1 natural formula that supports adrenal fatigue response and cortisol balance.
If you want more energy and a healthier stress response, then this trusted thyroid supplement brand is a good option because it uses a herbal ingredient formula to support the adrenal and thyroid glands that work together.
The natural ingredients fight thyroid irregularities and adrenal fatigue to balance the body and mind for the ideal combination of mental relaxation and ample energy levels.
150mcg of iodine and vitamin B combine with 300mg of L-tyrosine and 200mg of ashwagandha root to minimize excessive tiredness and brain fog.
- 2-in-1 adrenal and thyroid gland support with vitamin B, iodine, and L-tyrosine
- Encourages healthy bodily functions with no synthetic thyroid hormones
- Contains eleuthero for cortisol control and regulated stress response
- Lab-tested vegetarian capsules
- Gluten and soy-free
- Recommended for adrenal and thyroid support rather than losing weight
4. LES Labs – Thyroid Support
Les Labs – Thyroid Support is great for proper thyroid function and weight loss, as it supports healthy thyroid hormone concentrations to keep your metabolism under control.
Many people take this thyroid supplement instead of prescription thyroid medication because the 200mcg of selenium protects thyroid cells through antioxidant defense.
It’s often used for weight management as the clinical formula encourages natural thyroid hormone synthesis for a healthy thyroid gland.
These iodine supplements have 225mcg of iodine per serving, plus 250mg of L-tyrosine, 150mg of ashwagandha root, and 67mg of vitamin E.
- May offset weight gain from thyroid dysfunction
- Supports balanced thyroid hormone production with vitamins B, D, and E
- Contains healthy levels of iodine and L-tyrosine
- Only need to take one capsule per serving
- 60 servings per container
- May not work as well for an overactive thyroid — ask your doctor first
3. Healths Harmony – Thyroid Support
Healths Harmony – Thyroid Support is a popular way to improve thyroid function, and it comes in a bulk bottle with 120 capsules, enough for 60 servings.
These non-GMO supplements are great for metabolism, energy, and weight management with a potent glandular formula containing 14 ingredients clinically proven to help thyroid hormone levels.
Each serving has 100mcg of vitamin B12, 150mcg of iodine, 200mg of magnesium, and 200mcg of selenium.
Not only does Healths Harmony incorporate valuable minerals like zinc, copper, and manganese, but it also uses Schisandra and bladderwrack to help with hormone production.
- Improves poor thyroid function with 14 key ingredients
- Vitamin B, iodine, K-tyrosine, iodine, and ashwagandha root keep the thyroid healthy
- Minerals and herbs improve blood flow and help to shed extra weight
- Cayenne pepper powder delivers nutrients throughout the body
- Amino acids boost metabolism and energy levels
- Could cause excess iodine intake if you don’t follow the recommended dosage
2. Zhou Nutrition – Thyroid Support
Zhou Nutrition supplements maintain healthy thyroid functioning for optimal metabolism and energy levels.
As a natural alternative to thyroid medications, these support supplements are full of B vitamins with 100mcg of vitamin B12 to help with energy, mood, and focus.
Every serving also has 300mg of L-tyrosine, 200mcg of copper, and 150mcg of iodine to support ideal thyroid hormone levels.
These vegetarian capsules also contain natural ashwagandha root, bladderwrack, cayenne pepper, Schisandra, and magnesium to help you wake up feeling rested with sustained energy throughout the whole day.
- Powerful thyroid complex with B vitamins and amino acids
- Boosts metabolism and helps to lose weight
- Increases energy levels, focus, and clarity
- GMP-certified and third-party tested
- Non-GMO vegan capsules
- Only 30 servings per capsule
1. 1 Body – Thyroid Support
Out of the many thyroid supplements, 1 Body Thyroid Support is the best overall thanks to its high dose of vitamins, minerals, and herbal extracts that have been clinically studied to improve thyroid hormone levels.
With high mineral absorption and trusted herbal ingredients such as ashwagandha root, kelp, and forskolin, these supplements offer a natural way to boost thyroid function.
A serving of two vegetable capsules gives you 164mcg of vitamin B, 169mcg of iodine, and 220mg of magnesium.
Zinc, selenium, copper, manganese, and l-tyrosine are a few of the other ingredients that support a healthy metabolism, mental focus, and clarity.
- Highly bioactive formula contains B vitamins, iodine, magnesium, and zinc
- Supports sustained energy and healthy metabolism
- Contains kelp and ashwagandha root powder
- Amino acid chelate for high absorption of trace minerals
- Non-GMO vegetarian formula
- Possible side effects include nausea and headache
FAQs About Thyroid Supplements
Now that you’ve seen all the top thyroid hormone supplements, let’s take a look at the most frequently asked questions about thyroid supplements and how they can help you look and feel your best.
Q: What does a thyroid supplement do?
Like other popular nutritional supplements, the leading thyroid supplement provides valuable nutrients to help you stay healthy and strong.
Thyroid supplements support thyroid function to make sure this gland releases the right amount of hormones to control your metabolism and keep bodily systems working correctly.
It also helps with iodine deficiency and thyroid disease, so if you’re experiencing the side effects of thyroid dysfunction like weight problems or depression, then a reputable thyroid supplement could help.
Many doctors will recommend thyroid medication or supplements to improve energy levels, speed up metabolism, and encourage better mental focus to get you through the day.
Q: What are the benefits of thyroid supplements?
Taking the right thyroid hormone supplement delivers a wide range of health benefits by supporting healthy thyroid function and metabolism.
Metabolism transforms the food you eat into energy and delivers it around the body. If thyroid function is lacking for whatever reason, then your metabolism may slow down and make it harder to control your weight.
In addition to weight loss, noticeable differences from taking a thyroid supplement include increased energy levels, sharpened mental focus, and greater clarity.
There is no shortage of important nutrients in thyroid supplements, offering a natural alternative to thyroid medication to ensure adequate thyroid hormones that affect nearly every organ, including the heart, nervous system, and skeletal system.
Thyroid supplement capsules contain different iodine levels, so if you eat iodine-rich foods and have too much iodine, lower-dose thyroid supplements or prescription thyroid medications can help offset these effects to maximize thyroid activity and metabolic efficiency.
Q: How long does it take for thyroid supplements to work?
Thyroid health supplements and prescription thyroid medication typically take around a week to improve thyroid function, but it depends on the formula and the dosage.
For people who start taking a thyroid supplement just because they feel a bit sluggish, they may notice a boost in energy and overall comfort within a few days or one to two weeks.
Meanwhile, individuals taking thyroid medication for a thyroid illness like hyperthyroidism, hypothyroidism, nodules, goiters, or cancer may need a month or two to see a noticeable difference.
That’s why it’s important for anyone who suspects thyroid function issues to explore healthy thyroid supplement options, as the sooner the body gets an extra dose of safe nutrients, the more likely it is to see improved levels of thyroid hormones.
Q: Do thyroid supplements help with weight loss?
The top thyroid supplements work similar to prescription medications, offering an effective way to improve thyroid function and control weight gain.
By encouraging the appropriate production of natural thyroid hormones, a clinically formulated thyroid supplement supports healthy metabolism to efficiently convert food into energy.
Popular thyroid supplements promote thyroid function and the production of T3 and T4 hormones that control metabolism, body temperature, and mood.
Medical studies show higher T3 and T4 contribute to weight loss without regaining pounds for overweight adults.
A supplement that stimulates T3 and T4 production can play an important role in body weight regulation and help many people achieve their weight loss goals.
Q: Can you take thyroid supplements at night?
A lot of thyroid medication and supplements are recommended for nighttime use as it’s generally easier for your body to absorb these nutrients while you rest.
You can take the best thyroid supplement before bed and let the herbal extracts, vitamins, and minerals work their way through your bloodstream to benefit thyroid function.
Always check with the recommended dosage and instructions on the thyroid supplement bottle to make sure you take it the right way.
The key to a healthy thyroid is consistency, so if you start taking supplements for thyroid hormones at night, you should continue to do so.
The same goes for taking a thyroid supplement in the morning instead.
Improved thyroid function is key to maintaining healthy energy levels and overall health.
Issues with thyroid hormones can lead to unpleasant side effects like weight gain, muscle cramps, fatigue, dry skin, and more, which is why thyroid supplements are important.
If thyroid issues are negatively impacting your life, you can take supplements to promote proper thyroid function.
Many supplements support thyroid health and help with hormone levels and weight loss to keep you feeling energized and healthy.
Here’s a quick recap of the 10 best thyroid supplements:
- 1 Body – Thyroid Support
- Zhou Nutrition – Thyroid Support
- Healths Harmony – Thyroid Support
- LES Labs – Thyroid Support
- WellPath – Soothe
- NOW Foods – Thyroid Energy
- Pure Encapsulations – Thyroid Support Complex
- VitaStrength – Thyroid Support
- Go Nutrients – Thyroid Edge
- Gaia Herbs – Thyroid Support