What is the best smith machine?
Smith machines are a popular type of weight training equipment with a fixed barbell and steel rails.
These machines control the barbell for you, so you can only move it up and down for good posture and effective strength training.
There’s a lot to like about smith machines, including the balanced weight, better stability, and strong support to work all major muscles.
Whether you’re just starting on your weight lifting journey or you’re a seasoned pro, smith machines can elevate workouts to the next level.
We made shopping for this workout equipment easier with this list of the top smith machines available on the market right now.
The Best Smith Machines Compared
Our equipment lists are created by researching the best-reviewed products from the most reputable companies and web sources.
Here’s our list of the 10 best smith machines:
In A Rush? Here’s Our Top Pick:
10. Powertec – Workbench Roller Smith
The Powertec Workbench Roller smith features an innovative design, upgraded in 2019 to feature stainless steel weight horns.
The roller system has adjustable spring-loaded safety catches and isolateral leverage arms for safe control with every movement.
The Olympic Bar has high-tensile strength and moves smoothly with the rolling system using nylon reinforced wheels and sealed bearings.
Powertec’s Multipress design feels like free weights but with the added safety and support of a machine.
Ample padding and a fully adjustable bench keep you comfortable for a variety of upper body exercises.
The manufacturer recently added upgraded press arms settings, and the experience can be further enhanced with an optional utility workbench or lat tower.
This smith machine is 42 x 82.5 x 82.6 inches and weighs 219 pounds.
- Multipress isolateral leverage arms offer safe control.
- Good range of motion – feels like free weights.
- Features angled stainless steel weight horns.
- Nylon reinforced wheels keep it stable for upper body workouts.
- Fully adjustable bench and extra padding.
- Can be connected to an optional workbench or lat tower.
- May not be low enough for bent rows and deadlifts.
9. Marcy – Smith Machine Cage & Bench
Marcy offers all-in-one home gym equipment with a cage smith machine, workout bench, and weight bar.
This setup combines the weight lifting support of a smith machine with cable crossovers, a pull-up bar, and a leg developer.
The solid steel machine supports a wide range of toning and strengthening exercises to target the arms, core, thighs, and legs.
You can work your upper body with presses and crossovers, and strengthen your lower body with back squats and deadlifts.
This multi-functional smith machine features a strong press bar, steel aircraft cable system, cross pulleys, and pull-up bars.
Bar catches and adjustable safety stops offer extra support while the removable utility bench assists with strength exercises.
You can adjust the padded bench seat to different positions, promoting good posture and preventing injuries.
The assembled cage measures 65 x 79.25 x 84.5 inches and the assembled bench is 68.25 x 26 x 45.5 inches, with a total weight of 157 pounds.
- Combination of smith machine, pull-up bar, leg developer, and cable crossovers.
- Durable 14-gauge square steel construction.
- Bottom pulley targets hamstrings and glutes.
- Four storage posts help organize weight plates.
- Adjustable back pad and foot plate for injury prevention.
- Needs more space than other machines.
- Requires wide walk-in room for safety.
8. Body-Solid – PSM144X Powerline Smith Machine
Body-Solid Powerline is a durable smith machine made for safe solo lifting with a dual-lock safety spotter catch system.
It combines free weight resistance and power with safe, stable machine control.
The 12-gauge square pillars have 14 lock-out points, with super-glide nylon bushings for friction-free movement and heavy-duty performance.
High-polished chrome guide bars are smooth and simple to use.
Body-Solid says its ladder-type frame offers a solid foundation with jumbo pop pins that easily adjust for safe stops and straight-line stability.
This smith machine stops the bar from pinning users by turning the single-pivot sleeve just 15°.
The sleeve has a positive glide roll radius to assist in the transfer of lifting movements for exciting workouts. Powerline measures 45 by 76 by 80 inches and weighs 158 pounds.
- Combination of free weight power and mechanical resistance.
- Ideal for solo lifting with dual-lock safety spotter catch system.
- Frictionless movement with super-glide nylon bushings.
- 12-gauge square pillars with 14 lock-out points.
- Straight-line stability and smooth stopping.
- Easily adjustable safety features.
- No counterbalance.
- Not made for Olympic weights.
7. Titan Fitness – Smith Machine
Titan Fitness makes the smith machine with the best safety catches.
This exercise cage is ideal for weight lifting and bodybuilding, offering a range of strength training exercises like benching, presses, calf raises, and squats.
It helps improve your form with adequate back support and two adjustable safety catches to prevent injuries from failed reps. The fixed barbell has convenient knurling for a firm grip too.
The Titan Fitness smith machine has four rubber pads at the feet to prevent scuff marks on the floor.
Rubber padding increases stability, and a pair of J-hooks easily attaches to the bar with band pegs on both sides for extra resistance.
It comes with six 8-inch storage posts for Olympic weights and handles up to 600 pounds. The machine measures 86 x 66.5 x 54 inches and weighs 261 pounds.
- Counterbalance function and safety catches for injury prevention.
- Knurled barbell stops hands from slipping.
- Band pegs on both sides increase resistance.
- Rubber pads protect flooring.
- Six 8″ Olympic weight storage posts.
- J-hooks lock into safe positions with a quick wrist flick.
- Post spacing may not accommodate full-size 450mm bumper plates on every post.
6. Body-Solid – Powerline Smith Machine
Body-Solid’s Powerline smith machine package offers a heavy-duty steel frame with a patented bushing system, smooth sliding carriages, and reinforced plates.
The versatile design supports many exercises including squats, situps, rows, presses, pullups, bicep curls, calf raises, and calf presses.
You can use this smith machine to do seated and standing exercises as well as incline or decline presses.
This package includes the smith machine, an adjustable bench, lat/row attachment, pec station, weight stack, leg developer, and preacher curl.
The high/low pulley is ideal for lat pulldowns and triceps pushdowns, while the pec dec rounds out chest routines.
14 lockout points and adjustable safeties protect your muscles while lifting. This smith machine weighs 437 pounds and measures 45 x 76 x 85 inches with a 140 lb. weight stack.
- Heavy-duty steel with reinforced hardware.
- Incline, decline, and flat adjustable bench.
- 14 adjustment positions.
- Comes with pec station and leg developer.
- Lat/row attachment and weight stack for more exercises.
- 10-year manufacturer’s home warranty.
- Leg developer doesn’t connect to lat machine’s low pulley.
- Ankle, cuffs, D-handles, and adapters for Olympic plates are not included.
- Heavier than other machines at 437 pounds.
5. Body-Solid – Pro Smith Machine
Body-Solid has the Pro Clubline smith machine with a counterbalanced design that suits home weight training and supports up to 1,000 lbs.
You can choose the ideal resistance and enjoy smooth vertical lifting with correct biomechanical movement.
The 11-gauge steel smith machine is good for bench, chest, and military press, plus squats, curls, lunges, and shoulder shrugs.
The brand says this machine is counterbalanced to 6 pounds and made from high-strength rods and bearings for smooth performance no matter what the weight.
There are six Olympic storage posts to safely suspend weight plates off the floor, and the safe guided motion keeps you balanced without a spotter.
The Pro Clubline has dimensions of 50 x 86 x 84 inches and 300 pounds.
- Counterbalanced to 6 pounds.
- High weight capacity up to 1,000 lbs.
- Reverse pitch and smooth vertical carriage for easy use.
- Supports a safe range of motion with no need for a spotter.
- Ideal for press, squat, and lunge exercises.
- Six Olympic weight posts for elevated storage.
- Some people say assembly is difficult with unclear instructions.
4. Marcy – Smith Machine Workout Cage
Marcy has the best smith machine for total body training.
This home gym system combines a workout bench and weight bar with a heavy-duty steel frame and a long-lasting powder-coated finish.
The reinforced frame has a high-strength aircraft cable with a 2,000 lb. tensile strength, guaranteed by the manufacturer to withstand intense use.
The multi-functional, dual-action press arms make this a highly versatile system for arm and chest exercises.
Marcy says this smith machine serves as an all-in-one exercise station that combines arm and leg equipment.
You can use this workout cage to target biceps, triceps, and pecs, plus the dual-action leg developer has a row/curl bar and six oversize rocker pads for premium comfort.
The pivot point helps maintain proper form to effectively target muscles and get the most out of every workout.
The assembled cage measures 70 x 83 x 86 inches and the bench is 75 x 28.5 x 47 inches.
- Heavy-duty steel frame and Olympic free weight rack.
- Linear bearing suits total body training.
- Features sliding weight trolley and overhead/lower pulley.
- Includes curl pad and leg developer.
- Striker plate and weight catch for safety.
- Ergonomic design with thick padding.
- Must buy weights separately.
- No pull-up bar.
3. Marcy – Cage System Smith Machine
Marcy also makes the best multifunction rack with this smith machine cage system.
It’s a customizable home training station combining a utility bench, power tower, and squat rack for the ultimate strength building.
The landmine exercise attachment and multi-grip pull-up bars also make a difference for upper body exercises.
You can do pull-ups, chin-ups, and hanging leg raises or attach resistance bands to the bar.
This cage has a resistant pulley system for crossover workouts and a rowing cable for developing back and upper arm muscles.
The adjustable back and seat pad make this machine very comfortable, and the leg anchor and curl pad can be adjusted too.
The equipment itself is 84 x 70 x 86 inches and weighs 134.3 pounds, with a max bench capacity of 600 lbs., while the innovative safety catches and machine bar handle 300 lbs.
- Versatile rack with utility bench, power tower, and squat rack.
- Resistant pulley system supports crossover workouts.
- Multi-grab pull-up bar for upper body exercises.
- Sturdy weight post and bar storage.
- Adjustable back and seat pad.
- Detachable preacher curl pad and leg anchor.
- Requires a recommended 9 ft. clearance.
2. Marcy – Pro Smith Machine
The Marcy Pro smith machine is a total body workout training system and a popular home gym made of high-strength alloy steel.
It features heavy-duty tubular steel construction with high-strength powder-coating for years of successful workouts.
It’s an all-in-one solution with a squat rack, utility bench, and a power tower, plus a landmine exercise attachment. The cable pulley system supports crossover workouts too.
This smith machine has an adjustable bench with a movable seat and back pad to keep you comfortable during triceps extension, dumbbell press, biceps curl, bench dips, shoulder press, and sit-ups.
The multi-grip pull-up bars give you more options for upper body raises and resistance band workouts as well.
This equipment features convenient weight storage with weight plate posts and bar holders.
The entire home fitness system measures 86 x 73 x 85 inches and weighs 368 pounds.
- Heavy-duty steel construction with dual sliding weight system.
- 12 adjustment positions for safety bar catches.
- Weight storage, transport wheels, and bench handle for easy use.
- Includes barbell and Olympic 2″ adapters.
- Premium bench pad cushioning.
- 600 lb. bench weight capacity.
- No leg developer or preacher pad attachment.
- Doesn’t include a lat bar.
1. Commercial Home Gym – Smith Machine
Commercial Home Gym has the best smith machine overall, thanks to a dynamic design with cables and built-in 350 lb. weights.
It’s the complete package and much like something you’d see in a commercial gym, with 12 adjustable heights and high-tension 2,000 lb. cross cables for a 1:1 pull ratio.
The 176 lb. weight stack connects to cables and comes with a leg press attachment for intense lower body workouts.
This counterbalanced smith machine has sealed bearing pulleys and comes in a standard or deluxe set. The deluxe package offers a bench and plate weights ranging from 5-55 lb.
The racks have an impressive 990 lb. limit while the bar can handle 770 lb.
The Commercial Home Gym smith machine measures 79 x 49 x 90 inches and features a six-weight storage post and anti-slip rubber feet.
- Commercial-style home gym with built-in 350 lb. weights.
- 16 adjustable heights with 2,000 lb. cross cables.
- Multi-grip pull-up bars and cross cables.
- Counterbalanced smith machine supports safe lifting.
- Storage post holds six weights.
- 990 lb. rack limit and 770 lb. bar limit.
- Bench and plate weights only come with the deluxe package.
FAQs About Smith Machines
For more details on smith machines, here are our answers to some of the most frequently asked questions:
Q: What Is the Point of a Smith Machine?
The point of a smith machine is to offer extra stability and support for weight lifting with a barbell.
Smith machines encourage fixed up and down motion with the barbell situated between steel rails.
This workout equipment keeps you from moving the barbell forward or backward which could put your posture in jeopardy.
Smith machines make barbell exercises safer and easier, preventing injury and delivering a more effective workout.
Q: What Are Smith Machines Good For?
Smith machines are good for a wide range of weight training exercises, including bench press, rows, squats, overhead press, and curls.
Unlike free weights where you need a spotter for safety, the smith machine essentially spots you because the bar is attached to the steel railings on both sides.
Smith machines are a proven form of injury prevention in the fitness world.
In a study of fitness-related visits to the E.R., 42.2% of cases were due to free weight lifting.
The steady stability and safe motion of these workout setups prevent overextension and serious neck or back injuries from dropped weights.
Q: When Should You Use a Smith Machine?
A smith machine can be used whenever you want to work on weight training and improve muscle strength.
Lifting workouts are beneficial for adults of all ages, with strength training proven to reduce spinal stress by strengthening back and abdominal muscles.
If you want to minimize pain and stiffness while increasing strength and flexibility, then weight training with a smith machine makes a difference.
You can use a smith machine whenever you want to safely do squats, bench press, or deadlifts.
There are many full-body workout systems with a smith machine and special attachments, which are a great way to work out at home on your own schedule.
Q: Can You Build Muscle with a Smith Machine?
A smith machine allows you to build muscle with a safe setup of weight plates on a fixed barbell.
Consistency is key, and the more strength training you do, the better.
Regular weightlifting supports protein production and muscle growth, improving skeletal muscle hypertrophy and muscle weakness.
The smith machine is an especially good option because it gives you a full range of motion to build muscle strength, with the option for both lower and upper body workouts.
Many machines come with innovative attachments to give you a wider range of muscle-building exercises too.
Q: Which Smith Machine To Choose?
Choosing a smith machine depends on what you want to get out of your workout.
If you like to stick to bench presses, a standard smith machine may do the trick.
If you want a complete home gym with a smith machine and special leg/arm workout attachments, then a total body workout machine is better.
At least two days of strength training a week are recommended for adults, with a focus on targeting all major muscle groups throughout the arms, shoulders, back, and legs.
Keep this in mind when shopping for a smith machine, so you can find the most comfortable fit that enables all your favorite strength training workouts.
Smith machines work wonders for weight training, with a controlled barbell rack for squats and presses.
The barbell is secured with two steel rails on either side, only allowing vertical movement. Smith machines offer stabilized weight so you can focus on lifting during presses and squats.
Many people like smith machines because they provide safe stability and are good for people at all levels, from first-timers to experienced lifters.
You can also work all major muscle groups with the right smith machine, so it’s important to find one that feels safe and comfortable.
Here’s a quick recap of the 10 best smith machines:
- Commercial Home Gym – Smith Machine
- Marcy – Pro Smith Machine
- Marcy – Cage System Smith Machine
- Marcy – Smith Machine Workout Cage
- Body-Solid – SCB1000 Pro Smith Machine
- Body-Solid – Powerline Smith Machine
- Titan Fitness – Smith Machine
- Body-Solid – PSM144X Powerline Smith Machine
- Marcy – Smith Machine Cage & Bench
- Powertec – Workbench Roller Smith