What does Alan Ritchson’s workout routine look like?
Alan Ritchson is an American actor, model, and singer most known for his roles in Aquaman, Titans, Blue Mountain State, Hunger Games, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and Jack Reacher.
In his various roles, Ritchson has to maintain the muscles and body of a super-jacked hero. Throughout his career, Alan Ritchson has shared his secrets to maintaining his impressive physique.
While we’ve done thorough research on the Alan Ritchson workout routine, this article does not contain his exact routine. It’s a compilation of his commentary, interviews he’s done, and information from experts in the industry.
- Height: 6’3″
- Weight: 205 Pounds
- Age: 40 Years Old
- Birthday: November 28, 1982
- Accolades: 2015 Austin Comedy Short Film Festival Winner, Teen Choice Awards nominee, 2017 Best Shorts Competition Winner
Even prior to his acting career, sports and working out had always been part of Alan Ritchson’s life.
Training for Jack Reacher came naturally to him because he’d spent time in the gym throughout his life and wasn’t starting from scratch.
Ritchson spends 5 or 6 days in the gym and adds in cardio exercise as he sees fit.
Alan Ritchson’s Workout Routine
When training for Jack Reacher, Alan Ritchson focused primarily on weight training and cardio workouts.
His goals were to create muscle growth, shape and tone his physique, and burn fat along the way. Over the span of eight months, Ritchson gained nearly 35 pounds of muscle.
Alan Ritchson enjoys doing a variety of workouts, from bodyweight exercises to lifting heavy weights. He does it all in the gym to build a well-balanced physique for his shirtless scenes in Jack Reacher and his other roles.
Here is the Alan Ritchson workout routine:
Monday – Lower Body
Alan Ritchson starts the week with an intense lower body workout to push his athletic physique to the next level. He trains his legs and glutes with this burner workout.
- Deadlifts (3 sets, 12 to 15 reps)
- Sumo squat (3 sets, 12 to 15 reps)
- Hack squat (3 sets, 12 to 15 reps)
- Walking lunge (3 sets, 12 to 15 reps)
- Leg extension (3 sets, 12 to 15 reps)
- Leg curl (3 sets, 12 to 15 reps)
Tuesday – Cardio
On Tuesday, Alan Ritchson goes for a long run outdoors to maintain his lean physique and give his body a break from weight training in the gym.
Alan typically runs anywhere between 5 and 7 miles. He may use a treadmill if he’s in a pinch but prefers to spend time outside.
The health benefits of running are impressive—from reducing body fat to lowering heart rate, it’s a great form of exercise to maintain an overall lean but muscular physique.
Wednesday – Chest & Back
On Wednesday, Alan Ritchson trains his chest and back to build the muscular upper body he needs for his various acting roles. He incorporates bodyweight and dumbbell exercises in this routine.
- Push-ups (4 sets, 12 reps)
- Pull-ups (4 sets, 12 reps)
- Bench press (4 sets, 12 reps)
- Cable flys (4 sets, 12 reps)
- Dips (4 sets, 12 reps)
- Lat pulldowns (4 sets, 12 reps)
- Barbell rows (4 sets, 12 reps)
- Cable rows (4 sets, 12 reps)
Thursday – Arms & Abs
On Thursday, Alan trains his triceps, biceps, and forearms with this arm workout to sculpt a strong upper body for any upcoming role.
Here are a few of his go-to exercises.
- Tricep pushdowns (4 sets, 20 reps)
- Overhead tricep extension (4 sets, 20 reps)
- Hammer curls (4 sets, 20 reps)
- Skull crushers (4 sets, 20 reps)
- EZ bar curls (4 sets, 20 reps)
- Dips (4 sets, 20 reps)
- Sit ups (4 sets, 15 to 20 reps)
- Press ups (4 sets, 15 to 20 reps)
- Bicycle crunches (4 sets, 15 to 20 reps)
- Russian twists (4 sets, 15 to 20 reps)
- Plank (4 sets, hold 30 seconds)
Friday – Shoulders
On Friday, the Alan Ritchson workout calls for a shoulder program that will leave you feeling sore all weekend. With an already tall frame, Alan’s upper body looks even more massive with sculpted shoulders.
- Dumbbell shoulder press (4 sets, 15 reps)
- Lateral raises (4 sets, 15 reps)
- Front raises (4 sets, 15 reps)
- Upright rows (4 sets, 15 reps)
- Shrugs (4 sets, 15 reps)
- Rear delt flys (4 sets, 15 reps)
Saturday – Chest & Back
On Saturday, Alan performs another chest and back workout. Consistent upper body training helps Alan build a foundation of strength that helps him maintain strong posture and balance.
- Push-ups (4 sets, 12 to 15 reps)
- Pull-ups (4 sets, 12 to 15 reps)
- Bench press (4 sets, 12 to 15 reps)
- Cable flys (4 sets, 12 to 15 reps)
- Dips (4 sets, 12 to 15 reps)
- Lat pulldowns (4 sets, 12 to 15 reps)
- Barbell rows (4 sets, 12 to 15 reps)
- Cable rows (4 sets, 12 to 15 reps)
Sunday – Rest Day
On Sunday, Alan takes a rest day to give his body a break from all the strength training and weightlifting.
He may perform some light stretching and walk outside, but otherwise, he lets his muscles recover.
Alan Ritchson’s Diet
To sculpt a body made of primarily lean muscle mass like the infamous Alan Ritchson body, a focused diet plan is essential.
When he was training to gain muscle mass, Alan was eating around 4,500 calories per day, including 300 grams of protein. He eats clean, mostly fruits and veggies, lean turkey and fish, and brown rice.
While Alan Ritchson is dedicated to his diet plan, he also allows himself to eat a cheat meal on occasion. He prefers to follow the 80/20 rule, with 20 percent of his diet being splurge items and cheat meals.
Ritchson also avoids refined sugar, red meat, and most carbs. He doesn’t drink alcohol and avoids dairy in his diet.
Here is the Alan Ritchson diet plan:
- Avocado toast
- Scrambled eggs
- Chicken sausage
2. Morning Snack
- Protein shake
- Grilled chicken breast
- Brown rice
4. Late Lunch
- Grilled chicken breast
- Brown rice
5. Evening Snack
- Protein shake
- Grilled salmon
- Brown rice
- Grilled veggies
Alan Ritchson likely takes a few supplements to help boost his fitness routine, keep his energy up, and commit to hard work in the gym each week.
Supplements contain important vitamins and minerals that help Ritchson achieve his fitness goals.
Here are some supplements Alan takes to support his fitness journey:
The Alan Ritchson workout routine is one for the ages—from his gym workouts to outdoor cardio, he finds a way to stay active every day.
As an actor, Ritchson needs to maintain his physical stature to get certain roles, and he remains very committed to his career.
If you’re thinking about attempting the Alan Ritchson workout routine, dedication and planning are key. He’s a great model of what consistency and a proper diet can do for anyone.