What does Djimon Hounsou’s workout routine look like?
Djimon Hounsou is an award-winning Beninese-American actor, most well-known for his roles in Steven Spielberg’s 1997 film Amistad, Gladiator (2000), Blood Diamond (2006), and Furious 7 (2015).
You can also catch Djimon on the big screen in Guardians of the Galaxy (2014), Aquaman (2018), and Captain Marvel (2019). He’s set to reprise his role as the wizard Shazam in the upcoming movie Shazam! Fury of the Gods, too.
Whether he’s playing a criminal or a superhero, Djimon Hounsou needs to stay in excellent shape, which is why he works out almost every day and follows a healthy diet.
Both nutrition and fitness make a huge difference to Djimon’s overall health and wellbeing, not to mention his ripped appearance that remains strong even with age.
If you want to combine weight loss potential with a healthy lifestyle, then Djimon Hounsou’s dedicated fitness routine is the way to go.
Within this article, we’ll discuss Djimon Hounsou’s workout routine, diet, and supplements. We’ve done thorough research on Djimon’s diet and exercise regime, but this article is not his exact workout routine.
It provides an idea of what Djimon does when training for a role, based on interviews, his own commentary, and information from trainers.
- Height: 6′ 2″
- Weight: 200 pounds
- Age: April 24, 1964
- Birthday: 58 years old
- Accolades: 2004 Independent Spirit Awards – Best Supporting Male: In America, 2006 National Board of Review and 2007 Black Reel Awards – Best Supporting Actor: Blood Diamond
Djimon Hounsou stars in action movies and has to follow a strict workout and diet plan to stay in shape for his film work.
He loves mixed martial arts and incorporates these movements into every workout session, as he focuses on arm strength, chest definition, and lower body power through targeted exercises.
Djimon gets a great body by doing weight training at least three times a week, plus plenty of cardio and mobility work with the help of a personal trainer.
Djimon Hounsou’s Workout Routine
Djimon Hounsou’s workout routine consists of two weekly MMA sessions with fighting techniques, mixed in with weightlifting and cardio for big muscles and impressive definition.
While he enjoys hitting the gym almost every day, Djimon is no stranger to working out on the go. He’s been spotted doing makeshift pull-ups at Santa Monica parks and running up steep steps near filming locations, so he’s always burning calories.
Although Djimon is nearing 60 years old, you wouldn’t guess it by looking at his ripped physique or following his action-packed training regime.
Here is Djimon Hounsou’s workout routine.
Monday – MMA Workout 1
- Jump rope warm-up (1 minute)
- Jab cross (2 sets, 30 reps)
- Jab cross lead hook (2 sets, 30 reps)
- Jab rear uppercut (2 sets, 30 reps)
- Jab rear leg kick (3 sets, 10 reps)
- Cross lead leg kick (3 sets, 10 reps)
- Jump rope cool down (1 minute)
Tuesday – Cardio
- Jogging warm-up (10 minutes)
- Front kicks (3 sets, 10 reps)
- Skiers (2 sets, 30 reps)
- Surfer squats (3 sets, 12 reps)
- High knees (4 sets, 20 reps)
- Butt kicks (3 sets, 20 reps)
- Jumping jacks (4 sets, 25 reps)
- Mountain climbers (3 sets, 15 reps)
- Med ball sit-ups (3 sets, 15 reps)
- Burpees (2 sets, 10 reps)
Wednesday – MMA Workout 2
For his second MMA workout of the week, Djimon Hounsou goes through this exercise routine at least three times to maximize fat burn and strength gains.
- Jump rope warm-up (45 seconds)
- Shadow boxing (45 seconds)
- Burpees (30 seconds)
- Shadow boxing (45 seconds)
- Jump squats (3o seconds)
- Shadow boxing (45 seconds)
- Matrix push-ups (45 seconds)
Thursday – Upper Body
- Barbell bench press (4 sets, 5 reps)
- Push-ups (2 sets, 30 reps)
- Pull-ups (3 sets, 10 reps)
- Inverted row (3 sets, 12 reps)
- Single-arm dumbbell row (3 sets, 10 reps)
- Cable face pulls (3 sets, 10 reps)
Friday – Endurance Running
At the end of the work week, Djimon Hounsou runs for 45 minutes either on the treadmill or outside.
This aerobic activity breaks a major sweat while avoiding overuse and muscle injury from excessive weightlifting.
Djimon uses a foam roller to stretch before and after a run to promote better range of motion and soothe muscle soreness.
Saturday – Lower Body
- Back squat (4 sets, 12 reps)
- Trap Bar deadlift (3 sets, 10 reps)
- Single-leg Romanian deadlift (2 sets, 10 reps)
- Front rack Bulgarian split squat (2 sets, 10 reps)
- Hip thrust (3 sets, 20 reps)
- Reverse lunge (3 sets, 15 reps)
- Donkey calf raise (3 sets, 20 reps)
Sunday – Rest Day
After a hard week of work and training, Djimon Hounsou certainly deserves a rest day, and he makes the most of it by getting ample sleep and lots of water.
He likes to fuel up with a fruit-filled protein shake before going for a walk or spending time with friends and family on Sundays.
This mental and physical recharge ensures Djimon is ready for his favorite workout routines in the new week.
Djimon Hounsou’s Diet
Djimon Hounsou’s dedication to a healthy lifestyle doesn’t stop at the gym. He makes sure to proritize healthy food that’s rich in protein over processed foods, and he protects his immune system with nutritious fruits and veggies.
However, Djimon doesn’t like eating the same meal all the time, which is why he adds fruity or spicy flavors to his dishes.
He doesn’t believe that nutritious food has to be bland, so Djimon eats everything from egg whites to crispy wraps, fruity oatmeal to juicy meat sandwiches, and more.
Here is an example of Djimon Hounsou’s typical diet:
- Fresh fruit
- Fruit-filled protein shake
- Whole-wheat turkey wrap
- Lean turkey chili
Djimon Hounsou backs up his workout routine and meal plan with supplements to maximize his muscle-making power and keep him in excellent shape. His preferred supplements include:
Djimon Hounsou is a famous actor, best known for starring in Gladiator with Russell Crowe. He’s also had big roles in the Fast and the Furious franchise and Marvel Universe, and all of these roles require an amazing physique with ripped muscles and obvious strength.
To stay in excellent shape for every project, Djimon prioritizes mixed martial arts, bodyweight training, and proper nutrition.
His commitment to health and fitness keeps Djimon at the top of his game for all the TV and movie roles that come his way.
If you want to elevate your heart rate and burn fat, Djimon Hounsou’s workout routine is an effective exercise regime that helps you reach your gym goals.