What are the best massage guns?
Massage guns are portable handheld massagers that target sore muscles for soothing sensations anytime, anywhere.
Percussive and vibration therapy releases muscle tension for better tissue metabolism, stress relief, and relaxation.
The best percussion massage guns also boost blood and lymphatic circulation, so more oxygen, and nutrients get to the muscles.
There are many massage gun brands out there, but we did the most important research for you so you can find the perfect massage gun for simple pain relief on demand.
Check out our list of the top massage guns on the market right now.
The Best Massage Guns Compared
Our equipment lists are created by researching the best-reviewed products from the most reputable companies and web sources.
Here’s our list of the 10 best massage guns:
In A Rush? Here’s Our Top Pick:
10. DARKIRON – Massage Gun
DARKIRON offers an awesome athletic massage with this deep tissue device.
Four adjustable speed levels target different muscle groups to awaken the whole body.
It’s commonly used to relieve muscle soreness, stiffness, fatigue, and pain, especially in the shoulders, neck, back, and waist.
The rechargeable lithium battery runs for up to four hours before recharging.
This percussion massage gun is low-noise with a volume under 45dB to maximize comfort and convenience.
In addition to the brushless motor and upgraded noise reduction technology, there are also 10 different massage heads to decompose lactic acid and promote circulation.
It comes with a portable suitcase, making it popular for athletes and those recovering from injuries to use anywhere.
- 16mm percussing amplitude for high-powered athletic massage.
- Long battery life up to four hours.
- Good for post-op recovery.
- 10 massage heads.
- Excellent heat dissipation reduces damage.
- Anti-slip silicone grip.
- Heavier than other massage guns at 4.3 lb.
9. Sportneer – Massage Gun
A Sportneer massage gun gives you up to six hours of consistent muscle relief for aches and tightness.
It’s rechargeable and has an auto-off feature after 10 minutes to prevent overheating and burns.
This handheld electric body massager is made for athletes with a brushless motor to power deep tissue percussion every time.
There are six vibration modes and six massage heads to choose from.
Sportneer says its massage gun is powerful and crash-proof with a 16.8V brushless motor.
The dual bearing structure is long-lasting with speeds up to 3,200 RPM for deep, penetrating pain relief.
It’s used to reduce muscle spasms, boost blood circulation, and soothe muscle tension.
Plus, the 40db performance is relatively quiet for disturbance-free use, whether at the gym, after a game, or at home.
- Rechargeable built-in lithium battery lasts 2-6 hours.
- 6 vibration modes and massage heads.
- High speeds up to 3,200 RPM.
- 16.8V brushless motor for quiet performance.
- 10-minute auto-off function.
- Long-lasting construction.
- 40dB volume is not as quiet as other models.
8. Cholas – Massage Gun
The Cholas massage gun is a good budget buy with 30 adjustable speeds and 10 types of massage heads.
It’s a quiet and comfortable way to relieve muscle soreness through powerful percussive therapy.
The handheld design lets you reach all muscles, reducing recovery time and activating muscles as needed.
The LCD touchscreen makes it easy to choose your desired vibration mode and frequency too.
This powerful multifunctional massager has a high-precision design keeping the head and handle stable for smooth performance to relieve muscle stiffness and promote overall muscle health.
It uses a rechargeable lithium battery for up to six hours before recharging is required.
The single-handed comfort grip and 25dB noise reduction technology also enhances the user experience.
- 30 adjustable speeds and 10 massage heads.
- Variety of settings for warm-up, relaxation, and deep massage.
- LCD touchscreen for customized settings.
- 25dB noise reduction technology.
- 6 hours of lithium battery charge.
- Single-handed grip for easy handheld use.
- Some users say vibration is more focused than percussive.
- The bag is not as convenient as a carrying case.
7. LifePro – Sonic Pro
If you struggle with neck or back pain, the LifePro Sonic Pro delivers deep tissue percussive therapy for impressive pain relief.
This gun massager comes with eight attachments and a 75 lb. stall force for deeper massages.
This high-intensity massage gun relaxes muscles with 12mm of amplitude to penetrate fascia and sore spots. There are 15 vibration speeds for customized therapy too.
LifePro says the Sonic Pro sends waves of relaxation throughout the joints and muscles, effectively improving athletic performance.
It triggers myofascial release to support natural repair processes, ideal for warming up ahead of exercise and recovering after a tough workout.
The timer can be set in one-minute increments for automatic massage therapy, and just one charge gives you up to six hours of low-speed performance.
- Portable and lightweight 2.4 lb design.
- 3-6 hours of battery life depending on speeds.
- Timer supports automatic massage treatments.
- 8 attachments target neck and back.
- Good for myofascial release and pain relief.
- Protected by manufacturer’s lifetime warranty.
- Not as many customization options as some brands.
6. TimTam – Power Massager
The TimTam Power Massager is made for athletes with an industrial-grade motor providing 2,500 powerful strokes every minute.
This cord-free device weighs just 2.2 lb. and has an automatic trigger for easy use by athletes on the go.
The lithium-ion battery can be used for over 40 minutes without stopping, while the 25dB performance is quiet and smooth. There’s also the option to add interchangeable therapy tips.
TimTam says its power massager helps users recover in seconds instead of days, with 30 seconds of percussion massage enough to start making a difference.
It has a time-tested ergonomic design with a 90-degree articulating head to reach the whole body easily.
This power massager comes in a padded zippered carrying case with an international charger for worldwide use.
- High-intensity massage gun designed for athletes.
- 90-degree articulating head for every angle.
- 2,500 powerful strokes per minute.
- Made with an industrial-grade motor.
- 25dB quiet performance.
- Lightweight 2.2 lb. device with carrying case.
- Shorter battery life than other models.
5. Hyperice – Hypervolt
Hyperice Hypervolt is the best Bluetooth massage gun with Quiet Glide technology.
This handheld percussion massage gun offers three speeds and five interchangeable heads to help with muscle soreness and stiffness.
It connects with the Hyperice app for a customized experience that enhances muscle performance and improves range of motion for greater athleticism.
The brand says its Bluetooth message gun also accelerates warmup and recovery, boosts flexibility, and soothes tired muscles.
The smart technology provides automated speed control, and the brushless high-torque 90W motor is incredibly efficient.
Plus, you get 2-3 hours of use per charge with the 24V rechargeable lithium-ion battery in this TSA-approved carry-on massager.
- Bluetooth connection with Hyperice app for personalized use.
- Quiet Glide motor with three speeds.
- 5 interchangeable heads target sore muscles.
- Automated speed control.
- 2-3 hours of use per battery charge.
- TSA-approved carry-on.
- No wedge tip attachment.
4. Theragun Mini (4th Generation)
If you’re looking for a massage gun to take on the go, the Theragun Mini is a worthwhile choice.
This portable muscle treatment device is made by one of the most trusted massage gun brands, offering the same great technology in a compact device.
This includes a proprietary brushless QX35 motor with QuietForce Technology for ultra-quiet muscle massages wherever you are.
Theragun says its ultra-portable design is the first of its kind combining size and power, and it comes in a soft case for extra convenience and protection.
Although it’s small, it packs a lot of power with 150 min. of sustained runtime.
There are three scientifically calibrated speeds at 1750, 2100, and 2400 PPM for optimal therapeutic benefits, made better by the smooth, ergonomic grip.
- Lightweight 1.4 lb. design.
- 150 min. battery life for travel muscle treatment.
- 3 scientific speeds – 1750, 2100, and 2400 PPM.
- Compact brushless motor for quiet operation.
- Comfort grip minimizes hand and wrist strain.
- Comes with a soft carrying case.
- Fewer speeds and tech features than larger versions.
- 20 lb. max force is less than other machines.
3. Theragun Elite (4th Generation)
Theragun Elite (4th Generation) is the top high-tech massage gun supporting strong percussive therapy for deep muscle tissue treatment.
It comes with five attachments, including a standard ball, dampener, wedge, cone, and thumb.
The proprietary brushless QX65 motor is equipped with QuietForce Technology for advanced sound insulation, so you can enjoy a deep massage with minimal noise.
Theragun Elite offers two hours of continuous use with a 120-min. lithium-ion battery life.
You can customize the speed from 1750-2400 PPM using the Therabody app, plus the bright OLED screen makes it easy to check speed and force.
With full smart app integration and Bluetooth connections for personalized routines, this ergonomic massage gun is comfortable and effective.
- 1750-2400 PPM percussive therapy speeds.
- Advanced sound insulation with QuietForce Technology.
- Smart app and Bluetooth integration for customized routines.
- Comes with five attachments, including a dampener and wedge.
- Comfortable multi-grip.
- 120-min. lithium-ion battery.
- Need to be careful with cone attachment to avoid pressing too hard.
2. Theragun Prime (4th Generation)
If you want a massage gun that’s super easy to use, Theragun Prime (4th Generation) is your best bet.
This innovative massage gun is designed for deep tissue muscle treatment with a QX65 motor featuring QuietForce Technology.
It’s quieter than the average massager with a brushless motor for effective, soothing pain relief.
There is an LED screen where you can monitor five different speeds and pair with the Therabody app.
Theragun Prime offers 120 minutes of battery life with an internal lithium-ion battery.
The brand says this is double the battery life of earlier generations, so you can use it continuously for two hours.
The ergonomic multi-grip lets you hold the device in many different ways without straining your hands or arms.
Plus, you can set personalized wellness routines based on your preferences to really take care of your muscles.
- LED screen with five speed options.
- QuietForce Technology ensures quiet performance.
- Attachments include dampener, standard ball, thumb, and cone.
- 120 minutes of battery life.
- Ergonomic multi-grip.
- Pairs with Bluetooth and Therabody app.
- Fewer attachments and simpler treatments than some models.
1. Theragun PRO (4th Generation)
The Theragun PRO (4th Generation) is the best massage gun overall with high-tech percussive therapy for quality deep tissue treatment ranging from 1750-2400 PPM.
This battery-powered massager has an OLED screen for easy control and features a proprietary brushless QX150 motor for optimum performance.
Theragun QuietForce Technology is powerfully quiet while providing professional-grade deep muscle relief.
With 300 min. continuous battery life, you can use this smart massager for comfort and pain relief throughout the day.
It comes with two rechargeable lithium-ion batteries lasting 150 min. each, so you can use one and charge the other for all-day run time.
The customizable speed range integrates with a smartphone app so that you can choose wellness routines based on personal preferences too.
- Customizable speed between 1750-2400 PPM.
- 300 min. continuous battery life with two rechargeable batteries.
- Smart app integration and Bluetooth connection for personalized routines.
- 6 easy-to-clean attachments.
- Rotating arm with ergonomic multi-grip.
- Comfortable design reduces strain on hands and arms.
- Need to be careful to avoid cracking head attachments.
FAQs About Massage Guns
Here are our answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about massage guns:
Q: What Is a Massage Gun?
A massage gun is a handheld massage device with special attachments for percussive or vibration therapy treatment.
These devices are used to soothe muscles after hardcore workouts or injury.
According to the Journal of Athletic Training, regular massage improves delayed onset muscle soreness.
You can use a massage gun to keep your leg and arm muscles healthy and strong.
This deep tissue treatment boosts tissue metabolism and circulation to deliver more oxygen and nutrients to muscles throughout the body.
Q: How Does Massage A Gun Work?
Massage guns use percussive therapy, or vibration therapy, to work and soothe muscles.
A massage gun oscillates very fast to hit the targeted area several times per second.
This percussive massage stimulates the nervous system to increase blood flow, release tension, enhance range of motion, and provide pain relief.
Massage gun vibration therapy restores concentric strength for muscle activation.
Also, clinical studies show massage reduces pain and maintains healthy lactate dehydrogenase (LDH) levels for 48 hours after exercise.
Q: What Are the Benefits of a Massage Gun?
A massage gun offers the impressive benefits of percussive therapy for sports performance and recovery, including tension release and stress relief.
It targets fluid deep in muscle tissue to increase metabolism, and lymphatic circulation, so more oxygen, and nutrients get to the muscles.
Massage gun treatment also helps heal atrophied muscles, which occur when muscle tissue thins out, often from lack of physical exercise and strength training.
Essentially, a massage gun wakes muscles up, encouraging flexibility and proper function.
To boost your overall wellness and protect against muscle sprains and strains, massage guns are the way to go.
Q: Can Massage Guns Be Harmful?
Most massage guns are perfectly safe, but it’s important to use them as directed.
If you’re a first-time user, make sure you read the instructions and don’t overdo it.
The only times when massage guns inflame muscles instead of soothing them are due to incorrect or excessive use.
Otherwise, you can rest assured that modern massage guns have been studied extensively and found to safely increase flexible muscle movement, especially for workout warmups.
Q: Which Massage Gun to Choose?
Choosing a massage gun depends on how many speeds and attachments you want.
Look for a massage gun with an ergonomic grip and long battery life so that you can use it comfortably throughout the day.
Also, check the offerings from a trusted manufacturer specializing in massage gun treatments.
Especially if you struggle with delayed muscle onset soreness that can last for up to five days, you need a massage gun from a reputable brand that deeply targets tissues for optimal relief.
If you want deep tissue treatment without paying for a professional massage, a percussion massage gun can make a big difference.
Whether it’s for soothing muscles after a high-intensity workout or relieving pain from muscle injuries, the best massage gun is a worthwhile investment.
There are many trusted brands out there, with different intensity settings and ergonomic designs for the most comfortable massage gun experience.
Here’s a quick recap of the 10 best massage guns:
- Theragun PRO (4th Generation)
- Theragun Prime (4th Generation)
- Theragun Elite (4th Generation)
- Theragun Mini (4th Generation)
- Hyperice – Hypervolt
- TimTam – Power Massager
- LifePro – Sonic Pro
- Cholas – Massage Gun
- Sportneer – Massage Gun
- DARKIRON – Massage Gun