What are the best leg press machines?
Adding a leg press machine to your home gym is a great way to sculpt your legs, glutes, and calves.
The leg press exercise is one that can benefit the entire lower body. In addition to shaping the legs, this movement can strengthen the core, improve posture, and build a strong foundation for other physical activities.
In this article, we’re highlighting the best leg press machines that are worth investing in for any commercial or home gym setting.
The 10 Best Leg Press Machines
Our equipment lists are created by researching the best-reviewed products from the most reputable web sources.
Investing in a leg press machine for your leg day routine is a great idea, and we’ve done the heavy lifting for you.
Here’s our list of the 10 best leg press machines.
In A Rush? Here’s Our Top Pick:
10. TDS 4-Way Leg Press Machine
You can’t design the best home gym without a four-way leg press machine, such as this option from TDS.
If you are working out in a smaller space, this leg press machine is a more compact option than the commercial leg press machines you’d use at the gym.
It features a 2″ x 4″ HD steel frame with durable, solid steel deck plates and high-quality craftsmanship.
You’ll have no issues using this machine in your home gym or at a fitness center.
This leg press machine is high quality and has been redesigned with a heavier base and longer plate holders for a stable workout every time.
Burn out your leg muscles any time you want at home with this compact leg press machine from TDS.
- Wide, adjustable deck plates.
- Eight wheels for flawless movement.
- Maximum weight capacity of 1,000 pounds.
- Four-way hip sled for leg press, hack squat, forward thrust, and calf raises.
- Four side thrust wheels for stability during a workout.
- Thick-stitched shoulder pads and contoured padding.
- Compatible with Olympic weight plates only.
- Smaller and less functional than larger machines.
9. Body-Solid Powerline P2LPX Home Gym
Target your upper and lower body muscles with this six-station Powerline home gym.
This impressive combo leg press machine will support you in taking your strength training to the next level from the comfort of your own home.
Trim, tone, and sculpt your body to achieve the physique you’ve always wanted with a versatile piece of equipment such as this one.
Build powerful glutes, legs, abs, and upper body with the Powerline leg press from Body-Solid.
Featuring six exercises, including multi-press arms, lateral pull-down, abdominal crunch, functional pulleys, leg extension, leg curl, and a seated row.
Because of the price and functionality, it’s no wonder this is one of the most recommended leg press machines that money can buy.
- Six-station functionality for a well-rounded workout.
- It includes a standard 160-pound alloy weight stack.
- Single adjustable seat with a two-way adjustable back pad for different comfort levels.
- Weighs 483 pounds.
- The lower, mid, and high pulleys offer a variety of workout options.
- The leg press machine eliminates stress on the ankles for more comfort.
- Requires more space than a compact leg press does.
- Slightly difficult to assemble, according to customer reviews.
8. Titan Fitness Vertical Leg Press Machine
The Titan Fitness Vertical Leg Press Machine is a fantastic, affordable option for users looking to build leg strength at home.
Ideal for small spaces, this leg press machine can fit in your garage, office, or any room in your home.
Vertical leg presses work to provide a challenging leg workout while relieving stress and pressure on the back.
Prevent injury while building foundational leg strength and training the gluteal and calf muscles — all from the comfort of your own home.
No matter how much weight you are lifting, protecting the various muscles in the body is crucial to maintaining strength.
- Maximum weight capacity of 400 pounds.
- Add additional free weights as you build strength.
- Lightweight option at just 94 pounds.
- Isolates the lower body while removing stress from the back.
- Adjustable foot plate starting height to suit different size users.
- Made from high-quality steel construction and includes body pads for comfort.
- Some reviewers claim the assembly is challenging.
- Only accommodates Olympic weight plates.
7. Powertec Compact Leg Sled
Sculpt quads, calves, and your entire lower body with the Powertec Compact Leg Sled.
This seated leg press machine allows users to build strength in their lower body, improve stamina, and tone leg muscles.
The Powertec leg press machine isolates various muscle groups to effectively build muscle while avoiding any strain on your back.
You can perform hack squats, calf raises, leg presses, and other leg exercises to build a strong lower body with this leg press machine.
- 700-pound weight capacity.
- The foot plate measures 25″ x 23″.
- Great range of motion for most athletes, regardless of height.
- Adjustable back support, seat pad, angle foot plate, and hand grips.
- The carriage system is designed for smooth gliding, and low-resistance bearing wheels reduce noise.
- Comfortable shoulder pads.
- Difficult assembly for some users.
- Not ideal for larger athletes.
6. GMWD Leg Press Hack Squat Machine
When purchasing gym equipment for a workout room, a leg machine is a must-have.
Designed to work the strongest muscles in the body, the GMWD is one of the top leg press machines on the market.
Mastering leg day has never been easier with this leg press machine. It offers customers a high-quality, durable option for their home gyms.
With an ultra-stable rectangular base frame and a large footboard for all athletes’ comfort, any user can find a comfortable position on this machine.
Featuring several leg exercises aside from the leg press, this machine is versatile and a wise investment for your home gym.
- Maximum weight capacity of 360 pounds.
- 45-degree leg press for stability, no matter the weight stack.
- Perform leg presses, calf raises, and hack squats on this leg press machine.
- A commercial leg press machine that is made with 14-gauge steel.
- Safety features include a catch that has two different levels to suit different needs or heights.
- Weight storage holder with additional strong bearing pins.
- Not the best leg press machine for heavy users.
- Difficult assembly instructions for some.
5. Titan Fitness Leg Press Hack Squat Machine
Perform leg presses and hack squats with ease on the Titan Fitness leg press machine, with a maximum weight capacity of 875 pounds.
Designed for athletes of various sizes, this leg press and hack squat combination machine is an impressive lower body trainer.
Easily swap between leg presses and hack squats during a workout by flipping the back pad and adjusting the foot plate accordingly.
With thoughtful features designed for comfort and safety, it’s no surprise Titan Fitness made this list.
- Made from durable, sturdy steel.
- The wide, diamond-plated foot plate offers a secure grip and various angles.
- Smooth carriage ensures gradual weight increase with ease.
- Thick, comfortable padding reduces strain on your muscles during use.
- Fits Olympic-sized weight plates.
- Weight carriage uses industrial-grade linear bearings with steel alloy guide rods.
- Many reviewers struggled with the assembly instructions.
- It takes up more space than other leg press machines do.
4. GFS Leg Press and Hack Squat Machine
With a 1,000-pound weight capacity, the leg press machine by GFS is an excellent heavy-duty leg press option for any gym setting.
It has eight adjustable levels on the backrest for maximum comfort during use, no matter how tall or short you are.
Develop and strengthen your lower body with this solid horizontal leg press machine from GFS. It is designed to withstand heavy leg presses for athletes of all sizes and skill levels.
This home leg press machine has adjustable back support, lockout positions, and safety features to prevent injury or strain.
- The 45-degree leg press machine is engineered to target calves, glutes, and quads.
- A heavy-duty 2″ x 4″ 11-gauge steel mainframe minimizes torsional flex.
- The quad track roller system operates smoothly and distributes weight evenly.
- Diamond foot plates are designed for a secure, sturdy grip.
- Linear ball bearings and heavy-duty steel guarantee one of the strongest leg press machines on the market.
- Three lockout positions for user safety and various heights.
- Accommodates Olympic weight plates only.
- It takes up more space than other options on this list.
3. Signature Fitness SF-L2 Leg Press Machine
Invest in a high-quality vertical leg press machine from Signature Fitness to up your fitness game at home.
This commercial leg press machine has an impressive maximum weight capacity of 1,000 pounds. This unit offers sturdy, quality steel for a smooth leg workout.
Target your quads, calves, hamstrings, and glutes while reducing strain and stress on your back and upper body.
If you want a good leg press machine to add to your home gym, you won’t regret investing in the Signature Fitness unit.
- Two lockout positions for user safety during use.
- Thick, comfortable padding supports the lower back and shoulders.
- High-gauge steel construction with a diamond-plated foot plate for grip.
- Oversize footrest to try various positions and isolate the lower body muscles.
- Plate-loaded bars fit Olympic-sized weight plates.
- Foldable handrails safely lock the carriage in place.
- Higher price point than other leg press machines.
- It takes longer to assemble than standard machines.
2. Powertec Fitness Leg Press Machine
Lift heavy with confidence using the Powertec Fitness home leg press machine, and never worry about injuries or straining any muscles.
Commercial-grade vertical leg press machines elevate lower body workouts, improve squat posture, and build strong leg muscles.
Whether you’re shopping for a solid leg press machine for yourself or a fitness center, the Powertec Fitness unit is an impressive and effective choice.
Four nylon-reinforced wheels ensure users that the machine is sturdy, stable, and not going anywhere.
- The maximum weight capacity is 1,000 pounds.
- Adjustable backrest for comfort while in use.
- Four stainless steel weight horns for sturdy grip.
- Commercial grade padding and support.
- Dual safety catches on both sides for user safety.
- Bearing-driven carriage system with nylon-reinforced wheels.
- Many reviewers claim assembly is challenging.
- Probably too heavy to move around once it’s installed.
1. Body-Solid GLPH1100 Leg Press Hack Squat
The votes are in, and the best leg press machine is the Body-Solid GLPH1100 leg press and hack squat machine!
As far as leg press machines go, this unit pretty much has it all.
Body-Solid is a well-known name in the fitness industry for its design, quality, and effective gym equipment.
This leg press machine is no different.
Every other leg press machine offers some level of durability and comfort, but Body-Solid offers next-level safety, features, and functionality.
You may think that the No. 1 leg press machine on our list would be the largest, but this particular model is conveniently compact.
Many users find it fits in smaller spaces in their homes, garage gyms, and other spaces where they work out. Target quads, hamstrings, calves, and more with this beast of a machine.
As far as home leg press machines go, Body-Solid gets our vote for best all around!
- Extra-heavy-gauge diamond-plate foot platform for secure lifting.
- Weight capacity is 1,000 pounds.
- Ergonomic design and functionality for all size users.
- Both back pads utilize a quick flip-and-lock mechanism.
- Quad track roller system distributes weight evenly and smoothly.
- 4″ thick double-stitched DuraFirm back and shoulder pads for comfort.
- Many customers say it is difficult to assemble.
- No weight storage bar included.
FAQs About Leg Press Machines
Whether you’re in the market for a vertical or horizontal leg press machine for your home, get all your questions answered here first.
Q: What Is The Leg Press Machine Good For?
Most leg press machines develop and strengthen various muscle groups in the lower body. This includes the hamstrings, calves, quadriceps, and glutes.
When using a leg press machine, work to isolate each muscle group by adjusting the foot plate to first target the quads, then the calves, and continue on from there.
In the gym, building strong legs can help improve posture, reduce back pain, and improve full-body strength, stamina, and stability.
Q: Can You Build Big Legs With Just Leg Press?
Many believe that squats are required to build big legs.
Between the leg press and the hack squat, individuals can successfully build a strong foundation for the lower body with just a few movements added to their leg day routine.
However, with a leg press machine in your home gym, you’ll be blown away by the results you get with the right focus and dedication.
Particularly when used in conjunction with a full-body training program, sculpting strong legs and glutes is achievable with weight machines such as the leg press.
Q: Do Leg Presses Make Your Glutes Bigger?
Many athletes rely on leg presses to increase the strength of their glutes.
As a movement, leg presses create resistance for the gluteal muscles and allow users to properly train a targeted area in their lower bodies.
Glutes facilitate hip movement and promote healthy lower body mobility. This makes the glutes a critical muscle group for individuals of all ages and sizes, promoting mobility and flexibility in and outside of the gym.
Q: What Is The Correct Way To Do A Leg Press?
First, check the weight to ensure it’s a reasonable amount for your skill level. Adjust the seat height, so you can sit comfortably.
Press your back flat against the seat, with your feet shoulder-width apart on the foot plate.
Slowly lower the weight down toward your body until you make a 90-degree angle, then drive the weight back up through your heels.
Perform between eight and 12 squats before racking the weight and adjusting the safety catch.
Q: Are Leg Presses Just As Good As Squats?
Both leg presses and squats help individuals to build muscle mass and increase strength in the lower body.
Leg presses are a seated exercise, while squats are performed from a standing position.
Depending on an individual’s needs and workout goals, leg presses may be a better choice than squats. Leg presses are better for individuals who prefer back support during particular movements.
Additionally, the leg press machine allows users to make slight modifications to their exercises by simply shifting their feet.
Leg presses also target the quads more than other muscle groups, but the risk of injuring a knee is more likely if you lift too much weight.
As you invest in home gym workout equipment, adding the right leg press machine is probably high on your priority list.
The benefits of this machine, regardless of its size and functionality, can take a basic home gym setup and make it incredible.
While you may not need the strongest leg press machine on the market, this list offers a wide variety of options that can help you smash your fitness goals.
Here’s a quick recap of the 10 best leg press machines:
- Body-Solid GLPH1100 Leg Press Hack Squat
- Powertec Fitness Leg Press Machine
- Signature Fitness SF-L2 Leg Press Machine
- GFS Leg Press and Hack Squat Machine
- Titan Fitness Leg Press Hack Squat Machine
- GMWD Leg Press Hack Squat Machine
- Powertec Compact Leg Sled
- Titan Fitness Vertical Leg Press Machine
- Body-Solid Powerline P2LPX Home Gym
- TDS 4-Way Leg Press Machine