What are the best iodine supplements?
Iodine deficiency affects millions of people in the U.S. and around the globe, as iodine is an essential mineral that must be sourced from food because the body doesn’t make it on its own.
You need healthy iodine levels for proper thyroid function to control hormonal balance and maintain metabolism.
While radioactive iodine is actually a safe treatment in many cases of thyroid cancer, you can take smaller doses of all-natural iodine supplements to help with overall thyroid function and high blood pressure, as well as iodine deficiencies.
Figuring out how much supplemental iodine to take is easier with the leading dietary supplement brands that offer impressive iodine content in safe, over-the-counter supplements.
There are a lot of iodine supplements to choose from, so we did all the research for you to find the top 10 natural sources of iodine.
Let’s take a closer look at the best iodine supplements for thyroid hormone levels.
The Best Iodine Supplements
Our supplement lists are created by researching the best-reviewed products from the most reputable web sources.
Here’s our list of the 10 best iodine supplements:
In A Rush? Here’s Our Top Pick:
10. Global Healing – Center Detoxadine
Global Healing – Center Detoxadine is a USDA organic and non-GMO verified liquid iodine supplement with 1,950mcg per three-drop serving.
This thyroid, energy, and detox liquid supplement is great for people with low iodine levels who want to improve their metabolism and sleep.
It encourages natural hormone balance and protects against toxic halogens, making it a popular choice for consistent metabolism and energy.
The body easily utilizes the highly absorbable liquid iodine form to quickly clear out brain fog and improve overall mood.
- USDA organic and non-GMO liquid iodine supplement drops
- 1,950mcg of high-purity iodine sourced in the U.S.
- Good for detox cleanse and thyroid support
- Improves metabolism and sleep
- Gluten-free, vegan, and not tested on animals
- May not be as convenient as capsule form
9. RLC Labs – i-Throid Iodine
RLC Labs i-Throid is a 12.5mg iodine supplement offering maximum potency and a superior formula for nutritional support and better thyroid function.
The formula features 7.5mg of potassium iodide, 5mg of free iodine, and 2.5mg of potassium to help with hormonal balance.
By supporting hormone production, this formula works with natural amino acids to ensure optimal hormonal health for the thyroid, adrenal, and pituitary glands.
RLC Labs has over 80 years of experience in endocrine treatment formulas, so it’s well-trusted by people with very little iodine in their normal diets who need a high-dose supplement.
- 12.5mg iodine supplement with fast absorption and maximum potency
- Improves thyroid function and hormonal balance in the thyroid and adrenal glands
- 90 unflavored vegetable capsules per bottle
- Only need to take one capsule daily
- No artificial colors or flavors
- Increased risk of side effects when taking higher iodine dose
8. Benevolent Nourishment – Liquid Iodine Drops
Liquid iodine drops from Benevolent Nourishment offer better absorption than most iodine supplements.
In addition to the two-times absorption power, these iodine potassium drops come in a large 2 oz. bottle for 1,300 servings, making it a great investment for those who want to add actual iodine content to their daily diet.
There is 150mcg of iodine as potassium iodide in each drop, as the only other ingredients in this alcohol and gluten-free liquid are vegetable glycerin and deionized water.
The high potency drops quickly reduce fatigue, increase energy levels, and enhance focus with less mental fog.
- 150mcg of potassium iodide per drop
- 2x absorption power for fast fatigue relief
- Increases energy, focus, and memory
- Supports stronger hair, skin, and nails
- 1,300 servings in total
- Lower dose of iodine compared to most capsules and tablets
7. NOW Foods – Kelp
NOW Foods provides 325mcg of natural iodine in these super green kelp vegetable capsules that support healthy thyroid function.
These supplements make the most of kelp’s natural nutrient profile, and just one daily capsule with food can make a noticeable difference to thyroid health and your overall wellbeing.
Most people can take kelp iodine supplements from NOW Foods because the capsules are made without dairy, egg, nut, and soy.
The brand says its vegetarian and vegan iodine supplements are GMP quality assured and made by a family company in the U.S. with over 50 years of experience.
- 325mcg of natural iodine from whole-plant organic kelp
- Supports healthy thyroid hormone levels and overall health
- Vegetarian/vegan dietary supplements
- Unflavored, soy-free capsules are safe for most diets
- Great bulk buy with 250 servings
- Needs to be taken with food for best results
6. Peak Performance – Organic Kelp Raw Whole Food Iodine
Peak Performance offers raw whole food iodine from sea kelp for a vegan thyroid support supplement and metabolism booster.
Many people take these vegan capsules for greater immune support and energy levels, thanks to 150mcg of iodine from organic kelp whole-plant sources.
You can get 100% of the daily iodine value and plenty of health benefits like optimal energy levels and a healthy thyroid gland.
The raw whole food formula ticks the boxes on potency and maximum absorption for easy digestion and more noticeable results.
- 150mg of iodine from organic kelp whole plant
- Vegan iodine supplements are made from real whole food kelp
- Speeds up metabolism and supports healthy hormones
- Boosts immunity and energy levels
- Keeps thyroid glands healthy
- Lower dose than many other iodine supplements
5. MaryRuth’s – Iodine Liquid Drops
If you prefer liquid supplements, then MaryRuth’s liquid drops are a great way to increase iodine intake without swallowing a capsule.
The recommended serving size of two drops has 250mcg of iodine as potassium iodide for a potent USDA organic supplement.
Taking these safe iodine liquid drops during pregnancy improves fetal health.
It supports the developing fetus with a larger iodine intake, which is particularly important for those on vegan or vegetarian diets.
Iodine deficiencies may cause feelings of fatigue as well as dry hair, brittle nails, and weight gain.
That’s why reliable sources of iodine like these liquid drops are worthwhile both as a prenatal supplement and for anyone who wants to improve iodine levels.
- Supplemental iodine liquid drops with 250mcg of potassium iodide
- Liquid drops can be taken on their own or with water or juice
- Safe for developing fetus during pregnancy
- Regulates hormones and supports metabolism
- Unflavored in a water base
- Lower dose than many iodine supplements
4. Optimox – Iodoral
If you’re looking for a high potency potassium iodide supplement, then Optimox – Iodoral may be your top choice.
That’s because Iodoral has 12.5mg of iodine, including 5mg of iodine and 7.5mg of potassium salt iodide.
This potent iodine formula delivers impressive benefits for thyroid levels and overall energy, helping to supplement a balanced diet that otherwise leaves you lacking in iodine.
Adding this iodine supplement to your daily routine allows you to enjoy whole-body wellness benefits like a balanced mood and boosted energy levels without an unpleasant iodine aftertaste.
- 12.5mg of iodine with potassium salt iodide
- Helps with thyroid function, energy levels, and a balanced mood
- Thinly glazed to eliminate unpleasant iodine taste
- Silica iodine tablets prevent gastric irritation
- No wheat, corn, dairy, tree nuts, or other common allergens
- Slightly increased risk of side effects/overconsumption with a higher dose
3. Thorne Research – Iodine & Tyrosine
Thorne Research combines iodine and tyrosine for impressive amino acid support and healthy thyroid function.
This mineral and amino acid support helps improve metabolism, making a difference to those feeling fatigued.
It’s often recommended for people with an underactive thyroid, as it’s a safe daily supplement with natural ingredients and no artificial flavors.
One capsule contains 225mcg of potassium iodide and 500mg of L-tyrosine for an effective combination to enhance thyroid and adrenal gland health.
- 225mcg of potassium iodide and 500mg of L-tyrosine
- Amino acids support thyroid function
- Helps with fatigue from low thyroid levels
- No major allergens
- No artificial flavors
- Not recommended for pregnancy
2. Life Extension – Sea-Iodine
If you prefer high-dose iodine supplementation from kelp and bladderwrack, then Life Extension’s Sea-Iodine supplements are a great choice.
This iodine with sea plant complex offers 1,000mcg in each vegetarian capsule, which is more than 600% of the recommended daily value.
Sea-Iodine’s complex blend is made from organic kelp and bladderwrack extracts plus potassium iodide for an ultra-effective formula that appropriately addresses iodine deficiencies.
You only need to take one capsule a day for natural thyroid support from carefully sourced seaweed to safely increase iodine levels.
- Organic marine algae blend increases iodine levels for a healthy thyroid
- Potent formula with 1,000mcg of iodine per veggie capsule
- Kelp and bladderwrack sea plant complex
- Comfortably small capsule size
- Enough for 150 servings
- The high dose could be too much iodine for some people
1. Pure Encapsulations – Iodine
Pure Encapsulations – Iodine takes the top spot in this list of potassium iodide supplements with 225mcg per serving, 150% of the daily value.
Designed to support the thyroid, alleviate iodine deficiency, and promote healthy cellular metabolism, these supplements come in a bottle of 120 servings.
Not only is this a great bulk buy, but it also enhances enzyme synthesis in muscle tissues, the liver, and other organs.
It helps that Pure Encapsulations is a highly regarded brand of dietary supplements with hypoallergenic, Climate Pledge Friendly potassium iodide supplements.
- 225mcg of potassium iodide per serving
- Provides cellular metabolism and thyroid support
- Promotes metabolic function for healthy cells
- 120 servings per container
- Non-GMO, gluten-free, and vegetarian
- No additional vitamins or minerals
FAQs About Iodine Supplements
After seeing what the best iodine supplements have to offer, make sure you check out our answers to the most frequently asked questions about iodine supplementation.
Q: What is the best form of iodine to take?
Potassium iodide is generally regarded as one of the best forms of iodine to take because it blocks the thyroid from absorbing radioactive iodine.
Most iodine supplements contain potassium iodide, including some prenatal supplements, as it offers safe and effective support for thyroid function.
Potassium iodide and iodine supplements stimulate thyroid hormone production, ensuring there is enough iodine in the body to maintain energy levels and metabolism.
Q: What are the benefits of taking iodine?
The main benefit of taking iodine is ensuring you have enough iodine for proper thyroid function, including hormone production, metabolism, and energy levels.
In fact, iodine is essential to T3 and T4 hormone production, so the thyroid needs this mineral for enzymatic activity, protein synthesis, and metabolic activity.
Also, iodine supports brain development, especially during pregnancy, and minimizes the risk of thyroid disease by maintaining optimal thyroid health.
Q: What is the most absorbable form of iodine?
A lot of people could use an iodine boost, and how much iodine is absorbed in the body depends on which form it comes in.
Natural iodine supplements from kelp or similar types of seaweed are the most concentrated and absorbable, which is why these organic formulas are so popular.
While kelp iodine capsules are in high demand, you can also get fast absorption from liquid iodine supplements.
Q: What is the difference between iodine and Lugol’s iodine?
Lugol’s iodine solution has been used in the medical world for nearly 200 years as it combines 5% elemental iodine with 10% potassium iodide.
Pure iodine supplements with only elemental iodine, and those like Lugol’s that are combined with iodide salts, are often used to help overall health and wellbeing.
However, elemental iodine on its own is more absorbable, especially in the form of liquid drops, also known as nascent iodine.
Lugol’s iodine demonstrates lower efficiency in total iodine absorption because the iodine is bound to the mineral salts from potassium.
If you’re not sure which one to take or how much iodine and salt intake you should have in your diet, ask your doctor.
Q: When is the best time to take iodine?
Medical professionals recommend taking iodine with food to avoid an upset stomach. Many people take iodine with lunch for a midday energy boost, but it could be taken at breakfast or dinner.
Keep in mind that some iodine supplements have different dosages and directions than others.
You should always follow these instructions to ensure the best support for your body to produce thyroid hormones.
Just read the label to see if your preferred iodine capsules, tablets, or liquid drops should be taken during a certain meal, or if there is anything else you should know before taking iodine.
As a building block for thyroid hormones T3 and T4, iodine is an essential mineral, but you may not get enough from food alone.
That’s why iodine supplementation is important for proper thyroid gland function, and the best iodine supplement is carefully dosed to ensure you get an adequate amount of essential minerals.
You can protect your thyroid health with the leading iodine supplement brands, whether you prefer capsules or liquid drops.
Here’s a quick recap of the 10 best iodine supplements:
- Pure Encapsulations – Iodine
- Life Extension – Sea-Iodine
- Thorne Research – Iodine & Tyrosine
- Optimox – Iodoral
- MaryRuth’s – Iodine Liquid Drops
- Peak Performance – Organic Kelp Raw Whole Food Iodine
- NOW Foods – Kelp
- Benevolent Nourishment – Liquid Iodine Drops
- RLC Labs – i-Throid Iodine
- Global Healing – Center Detoxadine