What are the best rash guards for Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu?
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is a very popular form of martial arts that involves grappling, ground fighting, and submission holds.
The nature of this sport is quite physical. Many athletes opt to wear a quality rash guard beneath their Gi to protect their skin and keep them cool and dry during fights.
In this post, you’ll find the best rash guards money can buy, with high-quality features and thoughtful design.
The 10 Best Rash Guards For Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
Our product lists are created by researching the best-reviewed products from the most reputable web sources. We based our rankings on fabric quality, fit, usability, and feedback from reviews.
Here’s our list of the 10 best rash guards for Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu:
In A Rush? Here’s our top pick:
10. LAFROI UPF 50+ Long Sleeve Rash Guard
For a durable, comfortable BJJ rash guard, LAFROI offers a quality long-sleeve option that will keep you cool during sparring and other activities.
High-quality rash guards will protect the skin and, just like cross-training shoes, can be worn for a variety of activities. LAFROI is an affordable, quality option.
Choose from a wide assortment of colors and styles that suit your preferences.
- 80% nylon and 20% spandex
- Promotes performance and comfort
- Compression fit
- UPF 50+ UV protection
- Moisture-wicking and quick drying
- Stretchy material accommodates weight or muscle gain
- Sizing is slightly inaccurate; many reviewers recommend sizing up
Whether you’re just getting started in the sport or looking for inexpensive rash guards for BJJ, this compression shirt is designed for sweat-wicking and comfort while participating in martial arts training.
Avoid mat burns with long sleeves and a perfect fit with LAFROI’s rash guard designs.
9. Elite Sports Jiu Jitsu BJJ Rash Guard
Featuring anti-odor treatment and flatlock stitching for added durability, the Elite Sports BJJ rash guard has many technical features and is suitable for various martial arts.
The anti-slip design ensures no chaffing and an improved range of motion as you get a full-body strength training workout.
This rash guard’s blend of polyester and spandex makes it a comfortable option, while the lightweight fabric is moisture-wicking and will keep you cool during all activities.
- 85% polyester and 15% spandex
- Non-chaffing and four-way stretch fabric
- Ideal for mixed martial arts, BJJ, jiu-jitsu, boxing, kickboxing, and other martial arts
- Flatlock stitched and an anti-slip waist band for comfort and durability
- Better blood flow for improved performance and comfort
- Many reviewers say the graphics peel off after a few washes
- Runs small
For one of the best BJJ rash guards you can use for various mixed martial arts, Elite Sports provides a multipurpose and functional option for athletes of all skill levels.
With comfortable stretch fabric and shape retention, it checks every box for BJJ, MMA, and various other sports and activities.
8. FUJI Standard Jiu Jitsu Rash Guard
On the hunt for a long sleeve rash guard that won’t break the bank?
FUJI is an iconic martial arts brand that athletes love for its durability and utility during fights and training. As one of the most dangerous sports in the world, MMA athletes require proper equipment to support their bodies during fights.
With generous sizing options and colorways, athletes with different style preferences will be able to find a rash guard that works for them.
With thoughtful features like underarm panels and comfortable nylon, you won’t regret this purchase.
- Made from comfortable 100% nylon
- Long sleeves designed for agility and comfort
- Soft underarm panels for comfort during training
- MMA rash guard designed for a functional fit and range of motion
- Affordable price tag
- Hand wash only
Jiu-jitsu athletes need durable yet flexible rash guards that elevate their skills and leave them feeling cool and dry.
The FUJI Standard Jiu Jitsu Rash Guard provides a budget-friendly product that is one of the best BJJ rash guards on the market.
7. Gold BJJ Jiu Jitsu Rashguard
The best BJJ rash guard features offer versatility and breathability for any athlete in any scenario.
Smooth flatlock stitching makes rolls feel second nature, while the sleeve options are ideal for any style or preference. Stay fresh with innovative underarm vents and a longer cut to avoid the rash guard ever hiking up when on the mat.
- Ultra-light, moisture-wicking material
- Ideal for gi or no gi jiu jitsu, wrestling, MMA, and post-roll surfing
- Available in long sleeve and short sleeve rash guards
- Digital printing for no flaking, peeling or cracking
- Available in all BJJ belt rank colors
- Runs small
Focus on training without worrying about your rash guard shifting or moving when you’re on the mat with Gold BJJ Jiu Jitsu rash guards.
Known for its quality guarantee, this rash guard features innovative paneling, breathability, and a lightweight feel for additional comfort.
6. Sanabul Easter Egg Scrambled Long Sleeve Rash Guard
Sanabul rash guards are a popular choice in the sport for their high-quality fabric, durable construction, and full coverage.
To stay cool during training, a quality rash guard will offer moisture-wicking abilities that will allow athletes to focus.
- 82% polyester and 18% spandex
- Pastel colors for an aesthetically pleasing training session
- Made from moisture-wicking fabric to stay cool during workouts
- Flatlock seams keep you comfortable and withstand the intensity of MMA training
- Long sleeves for protection during throws, submission, or striking
- Thicker material than most
- Expensive price point
With flatlock seams and a snug fit, athletes of all combat sports will feel secure and comfortable in this Sanabul rash guard.
Reviewers find it soft, comfortable, and a no-nonsense option for BJJ rash guards.
5. Sanabul Ronin SS Rash Guard
For a snug, athletic fit in a short sleeve rash guard, the Sanabul Ronin rash guard will withstand the physical intensity of any time spent on the mat.
Enjoy thoughtful design elements like bright colors and designs while keeping dry and comfortable thanks to the moisture-wicking properties of the fabric.
- Made from 82% polyester and 18% spandex
- Designed for grappling, wrestling, and no gi jiu jitsu
- Provides protection against mat burn and abrasion
- Unique rash guard designs with bright colors and vibrant graphics
- Made with moisture-wicking technology to keep athletes cool
- More expensive option on this list
For a rash guard you can utilize for mixed martial arts, outdoor recreation, and many other activities, this Sanabul rash guard is worth the investment.
With art-inspired graphics and unique colors, athletes looking for a stylish rash guard will love this option.
4. Raven Fightwear Nordic Black Rash Guard
With intentional design features, including movement-reinforced flatlock stitching, panels for breathability, and durable four-way stretch fabric, Raven Fightwear’s rash guard is top-notch.
Athletes love this rash guard for BJJ and all types of other sports and activities.
It has a looser fit than most rash guards, so for those who don’t want a skin-tight fit, we recommend this option.
- IBJJF-approved rash guard
- 80% polyester, 20% spandex
- Rubber band waist to keep rash guard in place
- Machine washable
- Long-lasting, durable graphics
- It does not fit like a compression shirt
While other rash guards may be designed specifically for Brazilian jiu-jitsu, Raven Fightwear is designed for all combat sports.
Keep your rash guard secure with a rubber band waist, one of this rash guard’s most popular features. Prevent mat burn and movement during sparring with a solid rash guard to protect your skin.
3. Hayabusa Geo Long Sleeve Rash Guard
Shield your skin from rolling, sparring, mat burns, and scratching with the Hayabusa Geo rash guard.
This long-sleeve option is sleek and professional, and it offers unrestricted movement for athletes.
This rash guard can be worn during Brazillian jiu-jitsu, MMA, No Gi Jiu Jitsu, GI Jiu Jitsu, boxing, kickboxing, and more.
- Made with breathable, silky fabric
- Silicone waistband for agile training and minimal movement
- It fits like a second skin for optimal training and maximum comfort
- Multi-way stretch for the perfect fit, regardless of body type
- It keeps the skin cool and muscles warm
- It doesn’t offer belt-rank color options
Hayabusa undoubtedly offers the best BJJ rash guards in the game, and the Geo Long sleeve is right in line with the company’s quality rash guard guarantee.
With sleek design features and a smooth silky fabric, athletes will be comfortable on the mat and confident enough to give it their all every time.
2. Hayabusa Marvel Hero Elite Short Sleeve Rash Guard
Hayabusa continues to be one of the leading rash guard providers for men and women in both long and short-sleeve options.
From protecting your skin on the mat to keeping you cool during sparring, compression shirts from Hayabusa are known for their functional features.
It comes as no surprise that the Marvel Hero short sleeve rash guard checks every box.
- Made from elastane, polyester, and silicone
- Moisture-wicking properties
- Reinforced overlock stitching supports the body’s circulation
- The inner silicone waistband prevents mat burn
- Stretch fabric offers a lightweight fit with a full range of motion
- Hand wash only
- Expensive price
For unparalleled performance and protection, Hayabusa offers a fantastic BJJ compression rash guard for athletes.
With all the best features, including breathability and overlock stitching, this may be the perfect rash guard for most combat sports and other activities as well.
1. Hayabusa Marvel Hero Long Sleeve Elite Rash Guard
It’s time to reveal the best BJJ rash guards on this list!
Our top choice comes down to flawless design, high-quality fabrics, thoughtful design, and features that make athletes feel comfortable and supported during training.
Hayabusa continues to offer quality BJJ rash guards that are long-lasting and comfortable for regular wear.
For a durable long-sleeve option, Hayabusa’s Marvel Hero is likely to be the right rash guard for many athletes.
It’s a higher price point than others on this list, but the quality is unparalleled, and it’ll be worn for many training sessions in the future.
For all these reasons, there’s no wonder it’s our number one choice!
- Silicone banding on the hem keeps the rash guard secure
- It helps optimize body temperature and keep your body cool
- Titanium fabric keeps the body dry during training
- Flatlock seams and reinforced stitching designed to last
- Rash guard comes in black and red
- Machine washable
- Made from polyester elastane for a perfect fit
- Expensive price point; not ideal for beginners
If you’re looking for the best overall rash guard for BJJ, Hayabusa as a brand is a popular choice. For the best long-sleeve option, the Marvel Hero long sleeve is the best choice, in our humble opinion.
As the best rash guard on this list, we’re confident Hayabusa provides just what athletes need during training, sparring, boxing, punching bag exercises, and many outdoor activities, like surfing, running, and swimming.
Quality rash guards should be multipurpose and used in various scenarios so you can get your money’s worth.
FAQs About Rash Guards for Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
Finding a good rash guard can be challenging; you have to know what you’re looking for in terms of fabric, design, and style.
Some rash guards offer skin protection without any breathability or a looser fit than other compression shirts. Browse this section for all you need to know about finding the perfect rash guard for your athletic needs.
Q: Are rash guards necessary for BJJ?
Rash guards offer athletes skin protection during ground fighting and soak up any sweat that may occur.
The sweat-wicking materials, like polyester and spandex, work to absorb sweat before it seeps into the Gi uniform. To stay dry and focused, rash guards are necessary for BJJ, no matter your skill level. We all sweat the same!
Rash guards and compression shirts are also worn for surfing, running, swimming, and upper body weight training in the gym.
Q: Why are rash guards important in BJJ?
Rash guards protect the Gi from sweat, along with avoiding mat burns and friction scars that are common during ground fighting and rolling.
Because the mat is slick, friction can cause burns on the skin, which can deter an athlete’s focus. Rash guards help to avoid this situation entirely, making them an important part of your uniform.
Similar to weightlifting gloves, rash guards help keep athletes confident in their grip and ready for anything.
Additionally, many BJJ gyms may have a rash guard requirement to avoid the spread of staph infections and other germs that are common in contact sports like martial arts.
Lastly, rash guards help to improve your grip; when you’re profusely sweating, any boost in grip is much appreciated for a proper battle.
Q: Are skin infections common in BJJ?
Hygiene is a common concern in BJJ because of the close contact nature of the sport. Skin infections typically stem from a lack of hygiene in one or both athletes, resulting in the spread of germs.
To avoid skin infections in BJJ, it’s important to wear clean clothing, including a clean Gi, rash guard, shorts, and all other clothing. Mats should be cleaned regularly, along with all other equipment used in the gym.
Prevent the spread of infection by showering immediately after a workout, keeping your fingernails trimmed, and covering any wounds before you step on the mat.
All of these will help avoid common skin infections and ensure you can keep participating in the sport you love.
Q: Do you wear anything under rash guard?
Proper uniforms are essential in most sports. In the same way that deadlift socks protect the shins, rash guards protect the upper body.
Most athletes prefer to wear a rash guard beneath their Gi uniform when competing, and others train with a rash guard on.
Rash guards are typically used as a base layer because they keep the muscles warm while cooling the body. Some may wear a thin t-shirt under the rash guard, but for the most part, it is the first layer.
Q: How do you size a BJJ rash guard?
Depending on the fit you want, most people prefer to purchase a rash guard in their true, natural size. If you want a snug fit, size down one; for a looser fit, choose your true size or size up one.
Most brands make size recommendations based on a person’s measurements, height, and weight.
As far as compression shirts go, this list should provide you with some great options, depending on your style, preferences, and what you’ll use them for.
Wearing a rash guard for BJJ is highly recommended to protect the skin and keep your body cool during even the most intense moments.
Whether you’re searching for rash guards for BJJ, MMA, boxing, or any other activity, this list has a wide array of options for different budgets, body types, and style preferences.
Here’s a quick recap of the 10 best rash guards for Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu:
- Hayabusa Marvel Hero Long Sleeve Elite Rash Guard
- Hayabusa Marvel Hero Elite Short Sleeve Rash Guard
- Hayabusa Geo Long Sleeve Rash Guard
- Raven Fightwear Nordic Black Rash Guard
- Sanabul Ronin SS Rash Guard
- Sanabul Easter Egg Scrambled Long Sleeve Rash Guard
- Gold BJJ Jiu Jitsu Rashguard
- FUJI Standard Jiu Jitsu Rash Guard
- Elite Sports Jiu Jitsu BJJ Rash Guard
- LAFROI UPF 50+ Long Sleeve Rash Guard