The 10 Best Digestive Enzymes
What are the best digestive enzymes?
Many digestive enzyme supplements claim to be the miracle you’ve been looking for, but unfortunately, that’s not how supplements work.
In order to achieve optimal gut health and healthy digestion, digestive enzyme supplements must be paired with an active lifestyle and a healthy diet.
Digestive enzyme supplements improve symptoms of indigestion, help absorb nutrients in the body, and play a pivotal role in the digestive process.
This post shares the best digestive enzymes you can take for support in any of these areas. Keep reading for our favorites!
The Best Digestive Enzymes
Our supplement lists are created by researching the best-reviewed products from the most reputable web sources.
Here’s our list of the 10 best digestive enzymes:
In A Rush? Here’s Our Top Pick:
10. Wholesome Wellness – Digestive Enzymes
Most health experts will tell you how important it is to keep your digestive system regular and healthy as you age.
Wholesome Wellness offers a complete digestive enzyme supplement system with essential organic ingredients and properties.
Their formula contains a wide array of enzymes that help break down proteins, fats, milk, sugar, fiber, and carbs. What more could you ask for from a digestive enzyme supplement?
- 1000 mg dose of clinical-grade digestive enzymes
- 10 billion CFU 10-strain probiotic and prebiotic blend
- 180 capsules per container
- Organic, plant-based ingredients to ensure healthy digestion for men and women
- Includes turmeric, ginger, papaya, and more for anti-bloating, flatulence, pancreatic, and bowel cleansing
- Helps the body digest spicy, fried, raw, and processed foods
- Relieves gas, bloating, constipation, indigestion, reflux, and stomach acid discomfort
- Encapsulation includes prebiotic fiber and probiotic supplement (Lactobacillus acidophilus)
- Vegan, non-GMO, gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, and made without artificial sweeteners, colors, and flavors
- Made in the USA in a GMP-certified facility
- Third-party tested with a 100% money-back guarantee
- Competitors offer a product with more potency
9. Source Naturals – Essential Enzymes
On the hunt for a daily digestive enzyme supplement that supports gut health without breaking the bank?
Source Naturals is a top choice!
For strong immune system balance and digestive health, Essential Enzymes has 500 mg of bio-aligned herbal defense for your body.
Get relief from uncomfortable digestive issues and live your life to the fullest again. Healthy digestion via digestive enzyme supplements, here we come!
- Affordable price per serving ($0.10 per capsule)
- 120 capsules per container
- 500 mg per serving of herbal defense for digestion, gas, and constipation
- Quality, lab-tested ingredients, and science-backed products
- Made in the USA
- Helps relieve discomfort from lactose intolerance, bloating, and acid reflux
- Contains food-grade enzymes that operate in a range of acidity levels found in the digestive tract
- Free of common allergens
- Some reviewers claim their package from this company was damaged when they received it
8. Doctor’s Best – Digestive Enzymes
For the best in science-backed nutrition, look no further than Doctor’s Best digestive enzyme supplement.
This high potency, full-spectrum formula is designed to support the intestines and digestive system during its natural functions with a friendly boost!
Digestive enzyme supplements can support overall health and wellness because they get the enzyme production done so your body can focus on healing and supporting other areas.
- Vegetarian, non-GMO, gluten-free
- 90 veggie capsules per container
- Created to complement and support the body’s digestive capacities
- The unique formula supplies the added support of alpha-galactosidase and beta-glucanase to break down vegetables, beans, and grains
- Contains friendly probiotic bacteria to support gut health, digestion, and intestinal balance
- Formulated with bromelain, protease, pancreatin, and papain to optimize the breakdown of fats, carbs, and protein
- Contains lipase, the main digestive enzyme that breaks down lipids and improves fat utilization
- May cause bloating for users with sensitive stomachs or chronic stomach conditions
7. 1MD – EnzymeMD
Ready to eliminate the everyday toxins and gases in your life?
1MD has the perfect solution in the form of their EnzymeMD digestive enzymes and probiotic supplement.
The formula contains 18 digestive enzymes along with a probiotic yeast to support digestive needs, help reduce daily gases, and limit symptoms associated with poor digestion.
- 18 plant-based digestive enzymes to support gas and bloating relief
- 60 veggie capsules per container
- Contains S. boulardii probiotic to stimulate enzymatic activity for digestive support and toxin elimination
- Aids in proper breakdown of food so you can still enjoy your favorite dishes without worry
- Limits bacterial fermentation in the digestive tract, reducing gas, bloating, and dysmotility that occurs after eating
- Stimulates digestion, reinforces the gut barrier, and supports long-term health
- Developed by a board-certified gastroenterologist
- More expensive than other digestive enzyme options
6. Garden of Life – Omega Zyme Ultra
Garden of Life is a well-known and trusted dietary supplement brand, and for good reason.
They hold impressive third-party certifications, including NSF-certified, USDA Organic, Certified Vegan, Non-GMO Project Verified, Certified gluten-free, and more.
Purchasing a Garden of Life product means you’re getting the cleanest, safest, and effective ingredients every time. And if you need more reason to trust the brand, check out the reviews.
Their digestive enzyme supplements are a fan favorite, and you’ll find out why.
- Provides 21 digestive enzymes, each with a specific function to help the body process proteins, carbs, and fats
- Helps increase nutrient availability to the body
- USDA Organic certified product
- Made from clean, organic, whole-food ingredients
- Non-GMO, no synthetic ingredients, artificial sweeteners, flavors, colors, or chemicals
- Includes dairy digestive enzymes (lactase and protease) to support dairy digestion
- 100% vegetarian capsules ensure potency and faster dissolution in the body
- 90 capsules per container
- Some reviewers claim their product arrived damaged or overheated
5. Pure Encapsulations – Digestive Enzymes Ultra
Pure Encapsulations provides a clean, daily digestive enzyme with only the best ingredients designed to support the digestive system.
The Digestive Enzymes Ultra formula contains a broad profile of enzymes to provide optimal activity across a wide pH range.
Their mixture of vegetarian enzymes was developed to promote optimal nutrient bioavailability and absorption to improve digestive health.
This is one of the best digestive enzyme supplements for a sensitive stomach, so if that’s where you fall, this one’s for you!
- Supports the healthy digestion of fats, carbs, dairy, and fiber
- Free of common allergens
- Gluten-free, non-GMO, no wheat, eggs, or peanuts
- No additives, sugars, fillers, or preservatives
- 90 capsules per container
- Supports the enhanced breakdown of protein, carbs, fat, fiber, and dairy
- Expensive cost per capsule ($0.33 per capsule)
4. NOW Foods – Super Enzymes
The blend of probiotics and digestive enzymes in NOW Foods digestive enzyme supplements team up to help your body achieve healthy digestive function.
They play a vital role in the breakdown, delivery, and utilization of diet-obtained nutrients, and maximize their nutrient availability during digestion, helping to absorb nutrients along the way.
For an effective digestive enzyme supplement that assists your body in producing the enzymes you need to aid in digestion, NOW Foods offers a quality and effective solution.
- 180 tablets per container
- GMP and UL-Certified, gluten-free
- Digestive enzyme formulated to support healthy digestion and optimize nutrient availability
- Contains Pancreatin (a source of amylase, protease, and lipase)
- Helps maintain normal, healthy digestive function
- Packaged in the USA
- Not vegan; digestive enzyme capsules are made from gelatin
3. Zenwise Health – Digestive Enzymes
If your palate is broad and adventurous, Zenwise Health digestive enzyme supplements are here to support your eating habits while preventing the symptoms associated with spicy, raw, fried, and other processed foods.
When taken before meals, it’s effective in reducing gas, bloating, and digestive discomfort from the foods you love.
Simply take one digestive enzyme capsule before every meal. Eat on, and have no regrets!
- Helps with the digestion of spicy, fried, raw, and processed foods that our bodies struggle to digest
- Can relieve bloating, gas, and other issues associated with indigestion from consumption
- Vegan formula, AVA certified vegetarian, non-GMO
- 180 servings per container
- Contains prebiotics and probiotics for optimal absorption and digestion
- Enzymes work in the small intestine, where 90% of nutrient absorption occurs and 70% of the immune system resides
- Supports healthy immune function, gut flora, and bowel regularity
- Provides natural antioxidant support
- Made in a factory where gluten is present
2. AllMax – Digestive Enzymes
If you’re an athlete, bodybuilder, or someone looking to gain body mass, it’s no secret that your diet rules all.
In order to assist your body with absorbing and digesting all the calories you consume on a daily basis, you’ll need a digestive enzyme supplement to have your back.
These enzymes help utilize more food, so the nutrients can be used for muscle building above all else.
AllMax Digestive Enzyme supplements contain 11 potent, highly active digestive enzymes to support your gut.
Clinically designed to help optimize the absorption of nutrients to maximize the food you eat for your body’s digestion.
- Contains 11 potent digestive enzyme supplements for maximum nutrient absorption
- Reduces gas, bloating, and indigestion regardless of how much you’re eating in a day
- Maximizes the nutritional benefits of your eating plan while reducing stress on your digestive system
- Optimizes nutrient absorption and increases protein uptake
- 90 capsules per container
- Contains amylases to break down carbohydrates, lipases to break down fats, and proteases to break down proteins
1. Jacked Factory – Green Surge
At last… we made it to the #1 spot on our list of best digestive enzymes!
Jacked Factory’s Green Surge is here to nourish your gastrointestinal system with healthy bacteria.
The best digestive enzymes are the ones that offer a multi-faceted approach to digestion, and that’s exactly how Jacked Factory’s formula works.
Its powdered greens formula contains all the micronutrients and digestive enzymes that are essential to healthy digestion.
Rich in antioxidants through the impressive dose of superfoods and vegetables per serving, Green Surge supports a healthy GI tract, fights inflammation, and decreases oxidative stress.
What more could you want from the best digestive enzyme supplement money can buy?
- 30 servings per container
- Probiotic blend that encourages the growth of healthy bacteria in the GI tract
- Keto-friendly, made from organic plant superfoods that support the immune system
- Contains essential organic greens, micronutrients, probiotics, and digestive enzymes to optimize nutrition
- No artificial coloring, preservatives, or sugar
- Manufactured in the USA in a cGMP-certified facility
- 100% money-back guarantee
- None whatsoever; it’s our top pick, after all!
FAQs About Digestive Enzymes
If you are curious about the benefits of taking a digestive enzyme for optimal nutrient absorption, gut health, and reducing digestive issues, check out our answers to these FAQs.
Q: What are the benefits of digestive enzymes?
Using digestive enzyme supplements can help support your body with digestion and also strengthen your immune system.
Digestive enzymes primarily help the body break down fats, proteins, and carbohydrates.
They help prevent bloating, abdominal cramps, diarrhea, indigestion, and more.
Studies show that digestive enzymes can also help those with pancreatic conditions, including pancreatic cancer, cystic fibrosis, celiac disease, Crohn’s disease, IBS, ulcerative colitis, and more.
Digestive enzymes also help improve liver health, managing arthritis, and inflammation reduction.
Q: When should I take digestive enzymes?
Take digestive enzymes before any meal or snack in order to maximize the amount of time the enzymes have to interact with the food in your stomach.
The instructions on the bottle will also give you specific instructions on when to take the product.
Some are more effective when taken with food, while others are better utilized slightly before eating.
Always follow the instructions on the label and consult your doctor if you have any questions or concerns.
Q: Is it safe to take digestive enzymes every day?
You will likely see better and faster results by taking a digestive enzyme every day.
However, it’s important to find a brand that has been through third-party testing for quality, potency, and purity.
Make sure to consult your doctor, whether you’re healthy or have a health condition, as digestive enzymes can have adverse effects in some scenarios.
Your doctor will be able to advise you based on your current health situation (and health goals) whether or not you should start taking these supplements.
Q: How quickly do digestive enzymes work?
All digestive enzymes need to start working is to have access to the food in your stomach.
That’s why it’s important to take them right before a meal, so they can achieve maximum absorption when coming into contact with the food you’re about to eat.
You should notice an improvement in your digestion within a few days or weeks of taking digestive enzymes.
Q: How do I know if digestive enzymes are working?
You may experience “adjustment effects” when the enzymes start working, which typically show in the form of irritability, upset stomach, or allergy-like symptoms.
These effects mean that the gut is cleaning itself out and your body is beginning the healing process.
Digestive enzyme supplements have so many positive health benefits that it’s clear why so many people choose to incorporate them into their daily supplement regimen.
The best digestive enzymes will help your body with nutrient absorption and overall gut health, but they can do so much more for those with health conditions who need extra GI support.
To support the natural digestive enzymes in the body, protect against GI conditions like lactose intolerance, cystic fibrosis, and many others, adding a digestive enzymes supplement to your routine will benefit your digestion and overall health.
That’s all there is to it!
Here’s a quick recap of the 10 best digestive enzymes:
- Jacked Factory – Green Surge
- AllMax – Digestive Enzymes
- Zenwise Health – Digestive Enzymes
- NOW Foods – Super Enzymes
- Pure Encapsulations – Digestive Enzymes Ultra
- Garden of Life – Omega Zyme Ultra
- 1MD – EnzymeMD
- Doctor’s Best – Digestive Enzymes
- Source Naturals – Essential Enzymes
- Wholesome Wellness – Digestive Enzymes
What are your favorite digestive enzymes? Leave a comment below.
SEARCH THE SITE