Which are the best cod liver oil supplements?
Cod liver oil supplements are an easy way to get the many health benefits of fish oils, even if you’re not a huge fish eater.
Cod liver oil, in particular, delivers vitamins A and D and omega-3 fatty acids that can lower inflammation and blood pressure.
The two key ingredients to look for in cod liver oil supplements are eicosapentaenoic (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), which help with brain development and the immune system.
If you want to take cod liver oil supplements, the good news is there are a lot of options, both in capsule and liquid form.
We’ve gathered the top 10 cod liver oil supplements and found the best brand of liver oil to help you make the right call to boost your vitamin and nutrient intake.
Here’s our list of the best cod liver oil supplements:
Top 10 Cod Liver Oil Supplements Compared
Our supplement lists are created by researching the best-reviewed products from the most reputable companies and web sources.
In A Rush? Here’s Our Top Pick:
10. Rosita – Extra Virgin Cod Liver Oil
Rosita Real Foods soft gel cod liver oil supplements are made from 100% natural ingredients with no synthetic vitamins.
Wild-caught cod liver oil, rosemary, and organic vitamin E supplements offer a natural, vitamin-rich alternative to eating fish every day of the week.
There is 417 mg of Omega-3s in the recommended serving size.
These fish gelatin softgel supplements are made within hours of catching the fish to get the most out of the cod liver, with each batch tested to meet strict regulations.
Hook and line sustainable fishing makes Rosita cod liver oil one of the only fresh, raw, and wild-caught varieties.
- Freshly bottled within 48 hours of catching the fish in clean water off of Norway.
- Raw, wild fish produce the healthiest oil with no chemical additives.
- No refrigeration required.
- Higher price per bottle of 90 softgels compared to other supplement brands.
- 3 softgels (500 mg each) are recommended for daily use, so it’s not as good for those who struggle swallowing.
- Less than liquid – you need to take nine capsules to equal one teaspoon of liquid cod liver oil.
9. Dr. Martin’s Nutrition – Cod Liver Oil
Featuring 100% natural Norwegian fish, Dr. Martin’s cod liver oil is non-toxic and made from raw materials without harmful chemicals.
Another softgel option, each capsule contains 415 mg cod liver oil, 37 mg EPA, and 36 mg of DHA, sourced from high-quality fish that’s never frozen.
With no taste or odor, these capsules are a welcome choice for anyone who isn’t a fan of super fishy flavors.
Dr. Martin’s supplements come with the promise of rigorous testing and quality control, ensuring a safe level of vitamins and fatty acids for daily consumption.
- Inexpensive compared to other products, with 100 capsules in each bottle.
- Fully natural source of Omega-3.
- Proven safe for adults and children.
- Easy to swallow with no fishy taste or odor.
- Lower EPA/DHA contents than other brands.
- Recommended dose of 1-2 softgels per adult per day falls slightly short of daily vitamin intake guidelines.
8. Nordic Naturals – Arctic Cod Liver Oil
Heart and brain health are the main winners with arctic cod liver oil softgels from Nordic Naturals.
Purified arctic cod liver oil comes in capsule form made from gelatin, water, glycerin, and natural lemon flavor.
Other ingredients include d-alpha-tocopherol and a natural rosemary extract preservative. Nordic Naturals promises no gluten or milk derivatives in its softgels.
With a high concentration of omega-3 fatty acids (750 mg), Nordic Naturals are often preferred for those with joint pain and arthritis.
Many users highlight the good taste and lack of fishy burps and heartburn that typically accompany liquid fish oils.
Nordic Naturals suggests taking three softgels daily or as directed by your doctor, with packs of 180 capsules available.
- High concentration of omega-3s in the natural triglyceride molecular form for the best absorption.
- Environmental sustainability practices for wild cod fishing.
- Winner of Clean Eating Magazine’s Clean Choice Award.
- No artificial colors or flavors.
- Contains less than 2% of daily vitamin D.
- Natural lemon or orange flavor covers the fishy taste but isn’t for everyone.
- Slightly more expensive than competitors.
7. Spring Valley – Cod Liver Oil
Spring Valley has a range of vitamins and supplements, with cod liver oil softgels offering ample vitamin A and D to support immune health.
There are 415 mg of cod liver oil in each capsule, plus 25% of the daily vitamin A value (1,250 IU) and 34% of vitamin D (135 IU).
Spring Value promises no artificial colors, flavors, gluten, or added preservatives in cod liver oil softgels.
As the store brand from Walmart, they may not carry the same exclusive arctic cod sourcing guarantee as some brands, but their 100-packs are more affordable.
- Whole-body immune support with no odor or aftertaste.
- Affordable bulk packs with one softgel per serving.
- Gluten-free and no artificial preservatives.
- No fresh, wild fish promise as more expensive brands.
- Lower vitamin D content, so you may need an additional source depending on your diet.
6. Carlyle – Norwegian Cod Liver Oil
Norwegian cod liver oil from Carlyle comes in 16 fl. oz. bottles.
It’s a non-GMO, gluten-free liquid that delivers 4,585 mg of cod liver oil with 95 one-teaspoon (5 mL) servings in every container.
If you don’t mind the taste of fish or have trouble getting capsules down, straight cod liver oil from a natural source could work better for you.
Liquid cod liver oil has a higher vitamin D content than cooked fish and delivers a potent yet safe level of essential nutrients.
Just keep in mind there is 150% of your daily vitamin A and 56% of vitamin D in every teaspoon of Carlyle cod liver oil.
If you’re already high in these vitamins, you just want to be careful. If you’re deficient and need to up your vitamin intake, liquid cod liver oil is usually a good choice.
- Sourced from fresh Norwegian codfish with 320 mg EPA and 410 mg DHA.
- High levels of vitamin D3 aid in calcium and phosphorus absorption.
- Gluten-free and lab-tested for quality and purity.
- More expensive compared to many softgels.
- Unflavored liquid still has a fishy, oily taste.
- Risk of vitamin A and D toxicity if your diet is too rich in vitamins.
5. Solgar – Cod Liver Oil
Another popular option for softgel cod liver oil comes from Solgar, which specializes in science-backed formulas and ingredients from responsible, sustainable sources.
The daily food supplements feature cod liver oil, gelatin, and vegetable glycerin. Solgar ensures product safety and quality by removing contaminants through molecularly distilling.
Solgar cod liver oil supplements have 460 mg of cod liver oil, with just 28 mg of EPA and DHA omega-3 fatty acids.
This product is gluten-free friendly without wheat, dairy, soy, sugar, yeast sodium, sweetener, artificial flavor, preservatives, or coloring additives.
Solgar makes small batches in-house, but the cost is still pretty affordable for packs of 100 or 250.
- Natural source of vitamin A and D.
- Sugar, salt, and starch-free.
- Unflavored capsules for convenient daily vitamin intake.
- Affordable bottles with 250 softgels.
- Lower cod liver oil and omega-3 fatty acid content.
- Need to take three a day for full benefits.
4. Amazing Omega – Norwegian Cod Liver Oil
Softgel supplements from Amazing Omega give you a high content of cod liver oil and a decent amount of omega-3 fatty acids.
Available in lemon or orange flavor, these gelatine capsules contain fish oil, glycerin, and purified water.
With pollution-free waters full of plankton, Amazon Nutrition exclusively uses Norwegian cod that’s healthy and rich in vitamins and nutrients.
Amazing Omega highlights the anti-inflammatory properties of omega-3s, which can help suppress inflammation and minimize stress.
There is 1250 mg of pure Norwegian cod liver oil in each easy-to-swallow softgel, plus 3125 IU of vitamin A and 625 IU of vitamin D, helping you meet your daily intake.
- High cod liver and vitamin content.
- Fresh lemon or orange flavor.
- Only need to take one a day for best results.
- Affordable 120 packs.
- Average omega-3 fatty acid content, not as high as some competitors.
- Risk of overconsumption of fish oils.
3. Carlson – Cod Liver Gems
Carlson offers a fan favorite for cod liver softgels, produced from wild-caught arctic cod from clean Norwegian waters.
It has a lower dosage than Carlson’s liquid cod liver, but the capsules still contain a healthy amount with 460 mg omega-3 fatty acids, including 170 mg EPA and 200 mg DHA.
Natural vitamin A and vitamin D are also found in these softgels, which lack the noticeable fishy aftertaste most people don’t like.
Although you should take two capsules a day to get the full impact, it’s not hard to do with the mild lemon flavor.
Plus, Carlson prides itself on processing fish and purifying the oil on the same day they are caught for the highest level of natural nutrients.
- Sustainably sourced Nordic fish and non-GMO certified softgels.
- Free of artificial preservatives with ethical manufacturing processes.
- 460 mg of omega-3s to help heart, brain, vision, and joint health.
- Available in packs of 150, 180, or 300.
- Synthetic vitamin E, so it’s not entirely natural.
- Need to take two daily at the same time for the full effect.
- Not as powerful as Carlson’s liquid cod liver oil.
2. Nordic Naturals – Arctic Cod Liver Oil
If you need to up your omega-3s, then Arctic cod liver oil from Nordic Naturals is a no-brainer.
With a fresh and natural orange flavor to take away from the fishy taste, this is one of the best cod liver oil liquid supplements to support immunity and overall wellness.
Its non-GMO with 1060 mg of total omega-3s, including 340 mg EPA, 510 mg DHA, and 210 mg other omega-3s.
Each bottle contains purified arctic cod liver oil, a hint of natural orange flavor, and rosemary extract.
There’s no gluten, milk derivatives, or artificial flavors.
Nordic Naturals makes a point of preventing rancidity and maintaining the healthiest cod liver oil liquid to promote heart, brain, and immune system health.
- 1060 mg omega-3s per 5 mL serving
- 96 servings in a 16 fl. oz. bottle, suitable for children and adults.
- Pure and potent cod liver oil liquid with orange flavor.
- Increased shelf life with vitamin E and rosemary extract.
- Missing vitamin D content.
- On the pricier side.
1. Carlson – Cod Liver Oil
Last but not least, let’s take a look at the best cod liver oil overall from Carlson.
With 1,100 mg omega-3s and daily vitamins, including 28% vitamin A, 50% vitamin D, and 45% vitamin E, this fresh cod liver oil is tough to beat in terms of nutrients.
To top it all off, the lemony taste makes it a healthy and comfortable choice, especially when fatty fish isn’t your first choice of food.
Carlson prides itself on using the richest sources of fatty acids through Norwegian cod and extracting the oil on the same day fresh fish is caught.
The company relies on low-impact fisheries and sustainable practices to produce these supplements so that you can feel good about your increased omega-3 fatty acid intake.
- Rich omega-3 option with guaranteed potency and purity.
- Supports cardiovascular function, cognitive health, and joint support.
- Wild-caught cod with sustainable sourcing practices.
- Antioxidants and nitrogen flush prevent oxidation.
- Small synthetic vitamin content for flavoring.
- Strong lemon flavor may not be for everyone.
FAQs About Cod Liver Oil Supplements
Q: What Are Cod Liver Oil Supplements?
The best cod liver oil capsules or liquids are another way to get omega-3 fatty acids and vitamins from fish.
If you don’t like eating fish, supplements can give you the nutrients you need without the distinct fish taste. Cod liver oil supplements boost the immune system and heart health.
Q: What Are The Benefits Of Cod Liver Oil?
It’s important to have a healthy intake of omega-3 fatty acids from fish oils to protect the heart, bones, muscles, and immune system.
Q: What Are The Side Effects Of Cod Liver Oil?
Cod liver oil can lead to side effects like bad breath, belching, heartburn, nausea, and loose stools.
To minimize side effects, it’s best to take cod liver oil with meals rather than on an empty stomach.
You should always take cod liver oil only as recommended because high doses may be unsafe and increase the likelihood of bleeding by stopping normal blood clotting.
Q: Which Cod Liver Supplement Should I Choose?
If you already eat a lot of fish, then you may need less cod liver oil and fewer vitamins than someone who skips fish at all costs.
If you don’t mind the taste of fish, you can take the best cod liver oil liquid to get the most health benefits.
However, if you prefer a flavorless and odorless experience, cod liver oil capsules will be more comfortable.
Q: Should Everyone Take Cod Liver Oil?
Cod liver oil supplements aren’t for everyone. Anyone pregnant, asthmatic, or taking blood thinners like Warfarin should always consult with a doctor first.
When in doubt, chat to your doctor to confirm the best cod liver oil supplement for your diet and nutritional needs.
With the best brand of cod liver oil, you can keep your vitamin D levels high, which protects against bone fractures as you get older and helps teeth and muscle stay healthy too.
Plus, increased vitamin D may prevent rickets, hypertension, type 1 diabetes, and some common cancers.
You can also take the best cod liver oil capsules for more vitamin A and omega-3 fatty acids that boost the immune system, minimize inflammation, and lower blood pressure.
Just remember to take the recommended dose and no more to ensure you don’t overdo it on cod liver oil, as too much fish oil can cause a decrease in normal blood clotting for healthy adults.
Here’s a quick recap of the 10 best cod liver oil supplements:
- Carlson – Cod Liver Oil
- Nordic Naturals – Arctic Cod Liver Oil
- Carlson – Cod Liver Gems
- Amazing Nutrition – Cod Liver Oil
- Solgar – Cod Liver Oil
- Carlyle – Norwegian Cod Liver Oil
- Spring Valley – Cod Liver Oil
- Nordic Naturals – Arctic Cod Liver Oil Soft Gels
- Dr. Martin’s Nutrition – Cod Liver Oil
- Rosita – Extra Virgin Cod Liver Oil