How to Naturally Increase Testosterone Levels
Depending on what you have read about testosterone, you’ll either see it as being something associated with ‘manhood’ and male sexuality or bad things like steroids and aggression. Well, I can tell you that testosterone does affect sexual and reproductive function, hair growth, and muscle mass. I can also tell you that if someone that has high testosterone levels is aggressive it has nothing at all to do with the hormone, rather the fact they are idiots by nature.
As a man, having high testosterone levels is essential, not only for the obvious reasons like an improved sex drive, better hair and increased strength, but also for less spoken-about things like maintained levels of red blood cells and bone density, and a sense of well-being. The key to benefiting from improved testosterone is to increase levels naturally. You can do this using a number of methods and by adding supplements to your diet. We’ll start by looking at some of the natural methods.
Tips to Increase Your Testosterone
Exercise. Exercises that are associated with the larger muscle groups (i.e. squats, deadlifts, and bench presses) are proven to boost the hormone greatly. Lifting weights is particularly beneficial, with levels of testosterone at their highest levels 48 hours after a workout. The harder you train, the more testosterone levels will increase, so focus on the compound exercises.
Don’t Over Train. While hard training will boost testosterone levels, overtraining will have the opposite effect. Over exercising produces increased levels of cortisol, a hormone that conflicts with testosterone and reduces those increased levels by up to 40 per cent.
Have More Sex. The greatest tip of them all. More sex = more testosterone, it’s as simple as that. What it will also do is improve confidence and decrease stress. Sex should ideally be with a partner, but alone is good too!
Get a Good Night’s Sleep. Sleeping is every bit as good as exercising when it comes to testo and a good seven hours or more a night will improve your muscle-building potential.
Avoid Alcohol. Alcohol increases cortisol and downing the pints will lower testosterone levels for as long as 24 hours.
Catch Some Rays. According to Boston State Hospital in the United States, 15-20 minutes of sunlight on the skin will boost testosterone levels by as much as 120 per cent and sun on the genitals will increase levels by as much as 200 per cent. Don’t think about roaming the streets with it all hanging out, though – that will not end well!
Eat Healthy Fats. Healthy fats are the mono and polyunsaturated fats found in foods such as nuts and avocadoes. According to fitness expert Dr Mercola, a diet with less than 40 per cent energy as fat leads to decreased testosterone levels. Ideally, your diet should include between 50 and 70 per cent fats. Think about including the following foods in your diet:
- olive oil
- organic pastured egg yolks
- raw nuts
- grass-fed meats
As well as focussing your lifestyle around the methods mentioned above, you can introduce some natural supplements into your diet. Some people out there believe popping supplements will allow them to skip the tough parts and increase testosterone instantly. That will not work. Supplements are only good if you are willing to sleep right, eat right, and exercise regularly. If you are prepared to do the hard work, here are some supplements that are proven to work:
- Tribulus – used for centuries in ancient Greece, Africa, and India, tribulus terrestris is a natural herb extract used by numerous elite athletes to increase testosterone.
- Zinc citrate – supplementing zinc for as little as six weeks has been shown to boost testosterone greatly. Be sure to stick to a dosage of less than 40 mg a day.
- Magnesium oil – like zinc, magnesium oil can increase testosterone greatly over a fairly short period. Magnesium oil will also help boost strength and reduce recovery times.
- Vitamin D – an essential supplement for all men. Vitamin D not only increases testosterone, it helps in the development of sperm and semen quality.
- Fenugreek extract – a study by the Australian Centre for Integrative Clinical and Molecular Medicine found that men aged 25-52 who consumed fenugreek twice a day for six weeks had libido levels of 25 per cent greater than men who consumed a placebo.
- Ginseng extract – this extract directly stimulates the central nervous system and gonadal tissues, helping to increase libido and testosterone.
Learning how to increase testosterone naturally is not an easy ride, but it will improve your life in every way. Give these methods a try and let us know the results.